Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

new fork needed for Specialized stumpjumper fsr

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-17, 12:55 PM
AKHIker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Hi everyone,

just picked up a 1995 specialized stumpjumper fsr that had the front fork replaced with a static fork. Recommendations of suspension fork replacement within reasonable budget appreciated!
Old 02-28-17, 02:05 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Maybe you can get a fork from one of the many folks here who have inquired about replacing their suspension forks with rigid ones.
Old 02-28-17, 02:22 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
The stock fork was a Rock Shox Mag21... a great fork in it's day... travel was a short 60mm or so... if you go with a more modern fork, don't get greedy by adding more travel past about 100mm, or the bike will steer slowly. It is a 1" threaded steerer tube type, if i recall, so obtaining the correct length steerer tube will be important, also... the fork that is currently in the bike will serve as an example of correct steerer tube length. Post a pic of the bike, if possible.
Old 02-28-17, 02:40 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
V-brake or disc brake?
For V-brake, your options are going to be very limited, and a static (rigid) fork is likely preferable to most of the available options.

Suntour XCR is a decent fork. Beyond that you're looking at whatever you can find and rehab on CL/ebay.
Old 02-28-17, 02:50 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Remote lock out will cost you more, Lockout is useful if you ride on the roads much.
Old 02-28-17, 03:30 PM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
It is a 1" threaded steerer tube type, if i recall...
I just checked Bikepedia and catalog scans to confirm. The '95 Stumpjumper was 1 1/8" threadless, which ought to expand AKHIker's options.
Old 02-28-17, 06:48 PM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
The stock fork was a Rock Shox Mag21... a great fork in it's day... travel was a short 60mm or so... if you go with a more modern fork, don't get greedy by adding more travel past about 100mm, or the bike will steer slowly. It is a 1" threaded steerer tube type, if i recall, so obtaining the correct length steerer tube will be important, also... the fork that is currently in the bike will serve as an example of correct steerer tube length. Post a pic of the bike, if possible.
In 1995, 60mm was the Long Travel version, normally this had to be done using the RS conversion, as it was 46mm travel stock (the 1995 catalog makes no mention of travel).

As noted, by 1995, almost all manufactures (Marin being the big exception) were using the Aheadset system, including Specialized, by 1995, 1 1/8" was standard as well (Bontrager & Univega being the only major exceptions) .

For a replacement fork, the biggest issue will be if you want to stay with rim brakes, of stick a disc on the front, rim brake forks are available, although will need to be searched for, anything with upto 100mm travel will work fine with the frame, although if you looking to go upto 100mm, you will probably want to get a shorter stem to go with this.
Old 03-01-17, 08:42 AM
hankaye

Bikes: '95 Specilized StumpjumperFS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
AKHIker, Howdy;

Last summer I bought this one;
https://www.bikeforums.net/18839872-post5000.html
This what yours looks like???

It has the original front fork which I have replaced with a Surley Ogre front fork
that is suspension corrected and works fine
The Mag-21 is in need of repair but ... I could send it to you for the cost of postage
if you truly think you might want the headache of finding a rebuild kit for it plus the
tools and air pump etc. PM me and we can work out the details.

hank
Old 03-02-17, 08:10 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
For a replacement fork, the biggest issue will be if you want to stay with rim brakes, of stick a disc on the front, rim brake forks are available, although will need to be searched for, anything with upto 100mm travel will work fine with the frame, although if you looking to go upto 100mm, you will probably want to get a shorter stem to go with this.
I agree with most of what you've said. Finding a good fork with cantilever mounts could be difficult. Finding a bad fork with cantilever mounts, on the other hand, is relatively easy. I suggest the former. Manitou makes the R7 with cantilever posts which is an air fork with lockouts. Manitou forks are pretty good. They aren't Fox's but they are still good forks. The R7 is a bit pricey however. Tree Fort carries them (currently on backorder) for $450. Alternatively, you find older forks on Fleabay but you need to be careful. Some are better than others, of course.

I don't agree on needing a shorter stem however. Raising the front of the bike with a longer travel fork doesn't change the saddle to handlebar distance.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-05-17, 08:32 PM
AKHIker

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hankaye
AKHIker, Howdy;

Last summer I bought this one;
https://www.bikeforums.net/18839872-post5000.html
This what yours looks like???

It has the original front fork which I have replaced with a Surley Ogre front fork
that is suspension corrected and works fine
The Mag-21 is in need of repair but ... I could send it to you for the cost of postage
if you truly think you might want the headache of finding a rebuild kit for it plus the
tools and air pump etc. PM me and we can work out the details.

hank

No mine has the rear shock on it. thought it was a 95. Thanks for the offer on the old fork but not sure I want to go through the rebuild. I might be crazy enough to do it if I had the parts all here...
Old 03-05-17, 08:39 PM
AKHIker

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gsa103
V-brake or disc brake?
For V-brake, your options are going to be very limited, and a static (rigid) fork is likely preferable to most of the available options.

Suntour XCR is a decent fork. Beyond that you're looking at whatever you can find and rehab on CL/ebay.

v brakes with rear shock. Is static really preferable when you have the rear fox shock?
Old 03-05-17, 11:25 PM
hankaye

Bikes: '95 Specilized StumpjumperFS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
AKHIker, Howdy;

Oh, well ... I don't have any plans to pitch it out any time soon.
Let me know if you change your mind.

hank
Old 03-06-17, 08:29 AM
gsa103

Originally Posted by AKHIker
v brakes with rear shock. Is static really preferable when you have the rear fox shock?
The problem is that there aren't really any good options. You could switch to front disc brakes, but that would require a new wheel.

Basically, all of the options cost more than the bike is worth. Trolling eBay for a used fork is probably your best bet.
Old 03-06-17, 08:52 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Not really. The front shock does more than just provide comfort. It helps a whole lot with control, especially in ruts. Rigid forks get trapped inside ruts where suspended forks climb out of them. Bottom line: fewer crashes with a suspension fork.

The rear, on the other hand, doesn't do anything for control but it does help with climbing.

No mine has the rear shock on it. thought it was a 95. Thanks for the offer on the old fork but not sure I want to go through the rebuild. I might be crazy enough to do it if I had the parts all here...
I have an 80mm Fox Float with rim brake bosses (and disc tabs) that I might be willing to part with. It's in good shape and doesn't need an immediate rebuild. PM me.

On the other hand, there's no problem running mechanical disc front and rim rear. I have a bike set up and there is no difference in the way the brakes work. A hydraulic front might be problematic...the "feel" is too different.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-06-17, 11:50 AM
gsa103

This would probably fit, and it's a quality fork.
RockShox Recon Silver, 26, 100mm travel, Solo Air with 9-QR and bosses for V-brakes.

RockShox Recon Silver TK MTB Fork 26" 100mm Solo Air 9mm QR 1-1/8" Rim / Disc | eBay

At $190, it's a decent buy. Your only cheaper options are going to be used or things that aren't good. Cycommute's offer of a Fox isn't a bad option.