Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Huffy kids bike

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Huffy kids bike

Old 06-05-19, 12:07 PM
chuckkrebs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Huffy kids bike

I picked up a Huffy kids bike at a garage sale. The crankshaft is sloppy. I took it apart. It's a one-piece crank. It does NOT have bearings. Instead, it has a white plastic "hub" that the crank slides through. Very light duty. One of the plastic hubs is broken, causing the sloppiness. I'm having a heck of time trying to find a replacement hub or pair of hubs. I can't even locate a parts diagram for this bike online. I've included a couple of photos of the (good) part. The model number is Huffy 51806P. It's a small 16" kids bike. Help!
Old 06-05-19, 12:16 PM
AKHIker

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Check the dump for salvage. Maybe ebay? Not sure of possible size difference but replacing the entire crank mechanism with one from another bike might be an option too.

I live in Alaska and we refurbish bikes so we have limited options for parts at a reasonable price. good luck
Old 06-05-19, 12:20 PM
AKHIker

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
You might also try putting up an ad asking for same size parts bike. Since our dump charges us even to drop metal recycling, I sometimes get parts I need that way
Old 06-06-19, 01:46 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 191 Posts
Have you tried contacting Huffy?

https://www.huffybikes.com/

https://www.huffybikes.com/parts/

Old 06-07-19, 07:02 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
eBay

They have literally everything.

Seriously. I've found so many random parts for so many obscure things on eBay it's crazy.

\Unfortunately for you, 51806 is a part number of a common car oil filter so you're going to be flooded with listings for that unless you can find a different search criteria.
Old 06-07-19, 07:32 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Go to Wal-Mart, buy your kid a brand spanking new bike. You'll save time and money trying to find a part for a bike that has no value, and you'll be their favorite dad, for a while.
Likes For leob1:
Old 06-07-19, 07:36 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
Go to Wal-Mart, buy your kid a brand spanking new bike. You'll save time and money trying to find a part for a bike that has no value, and you'll be their favorite dad, for a while.
+1 . You can spend a lot of time and effort trying to fix what is basically a worthless bike. An alternative is to scour your local Craigslist. There are usually dozens of cheap kids bikes for sale on it at pretty much give-away prices.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 06-07-19, 07:50 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
On second thought...this.

I found a bike in pretty decent shape in the trash pile. Brought it home and figured it'd be fun to fix up with my kid. Needed new pedals and new brake pads (were dry rotted) and even at the $30 we were talking about it suddenly felt not worth fixing since it probably has a retail value of $30 (on a really good day) at a flea market.