Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

first project bike, 126mm rear hub options?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

first project bike, 126mm rear hub options?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-20, 07:07 AM
feejer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
UR screwed on using that hub. See the pdf and look at the area I mention. Where the FH engages the hub to transmit power.
I've already uploaded 1 of them.
(seems I might be having trouble loading the T-610 pdf)
Try this link-
https://si.shimano.com/#/en/EV/FH-T610
I see what you mean, and yeah that definitely won't work. Thats exactly what I needed to see, thanks for posting the links and info!

Originally Posted by alcjphil
Does the "other half" understand the difficulties involved with staying with an obsolete frame spacing standard?
Nope, not even a clue. However it seems that a cold set to 130mm might be the only logical plan. I'll have to read up on the procedure, and sneak it in when she's not looking. As long as I dont wreck the frame she'll never know.
Old 08-28-20, 01:12 PM
feejer

So after some googling it appears that this hub really is dimensionally the same as other Shimano 130 hub's other than axle and spacer lengths, which I can easily change. The center to flange distances are coming up exactly the same for this shortened Deore hub as other 130 hub flange distances. So, new plan is still use this rear hub, shortened to 130, and stretch the frame to 130, and use 8 speed components. Thinking this should all work, with a cooperative frame.
Old 08-28-20, 01:41 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 873 Posts
IF you're going to 8, 9 makes more sense IF you haven't purchased the shifters yet.
Shifters & cassette are only slightly more $.
You would need a new 9 speed chain.
Just a lot more gearing options available than 8 speed.
You are a bit more prone to chain stay interference issues if you go below a 13T smallest cog. Usually somewhat easily corrected by adding a bit of spacing to the DS, but that increases dish.

You might call your LBS and ask what it'd cost to cold set the frame to 135 AND align the DO's.
It might be money well spent?
Old 08-28-20, 01:54 PM
feejer

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
IF you're going to 8, 9 makes more sense IF you haven't purchased the shifters yet.
Shifters & cassette are only slightly more $.
You would need a new 9 speed chain.
Just a lot more gearing options available than 8 speed.
You are a bit more prone to chain stay interference issues if you go below a 13T smallest cog. Usually somewhat easily corrected by adding a bit of spacing to the DS, but that increases dish.

You might call your LBS and ask what it'd cost to cold set the frame to 135 AND align the DO's.
It might be money well spent?
I agree, and have made a few calls to bike shops, so far none would do it. The one local shop I’d like to try is in the middle of a riot that’s lasted all week in our town. I’ll expand my circle and find a good shop eventually. If someplace could do a cold set and align it would definitely be money well spent. Cost is really not the issue for this bike, I know she really enjoyed riding it and it would be great to bring it back better than ever for her. And she’s very used to 8 speed on her newer trek 7.2fx, so that will be fine.

And thanks for all your input, I really appreciate it.
Old 09-01-20, 07:00 PM
feejer

Well this frame is now a perfect 130mm. Used Sheldon's method, which really was super easy and simple to do. I checked the chainstay/frame alignment with the string and ruler method, and it's right on. I also found a youtube on how to make a set of super basic DO alignment tools from carriage bolts, and spent about $3 on them. The alignment is now very close (at least as close as these fake tools will show), and more than good enough. The frame is totally stripped down, and it's now time to remove 35 years of crud and gunk from it and get it ready to reassemble. The rims are not here yet, and will probable be the last holdup. So for all who said quit screwing around and spread the frame, you were all of course right. Thought about going to 135, but this will suffice for an 8 speed. Can't wait to get it done, thanks for the guidance folks.
Old 09-02-20, 12:55 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Sweet, glad to hear your project is going well.

I'd agree that spreading to 135 is probably not worthwhile in most cases.
Old 09-02-20, 08:09 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
As Bill Kapaun says, don't do 8 speed unless you already have the parts. 9sp has so many more options, is newer, and better built. You can get any cassette you want in 9sp. The chains are better too as they were purpose built to work with the cassettes. That was the big change in road equipment, the ramps on the cassettes and the chains that glide on them. 9sp is where they perfected it, and then just started making it smaller for 10 then 11. While it may have trickled down to 8sp options are a lot more limited. 8 speed road bikes are rare as they went to 9 pretty quickly. And just stick with Shimano, all their levels of parts are pretty much interchangeable.
Old 09-02-20, 09:08 AM
feejer

I hear you, though all the parts are here or on their way here, so it’s a little too late for now. However if she likes the bike enough I could do the 9 speed upgrades over the winter. I’m not sold on some of these components, I just need to get it rideable asap.