Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cassette type for 1 by conversion

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-27-20, 06:03 PM
Busacco119

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a mountain bike with a 2016 Shimano XT 10 speed groupset. This is a triple ring set I want to convert it to a 1 x 10.
I know I can use the crankarms with a new chainring. I know I need a new rear derailleur and also a new chain, but do I need a new shifter and cassette?
any advice would be great.
Old 09-27-20, 06:13 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
How do you know you need a new rear derailleur?
Old 09-27-20, 06:49 PM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 50 Posts
A clutch rear derailleur and a narrow/wide type chainring are always the best options for going 1x. A wider range cassette would also be nice. I've made a couple of videos in the past year of some 1x conversions that may be helpful. Microshift and Sunrace make some pretty decent aftermarket cassettes and derailleurs in a 10-speed drivetrain that may be pretty cost-effective if you're on a budget. Sram has full kits that will work with your existing bike/wheel that will allow you to go 1x12 which is pretty sweet as well.

Old 09-27-20, 07:11 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1785 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 868 Posts
Don't shift the front.
You don't need anything.
Old 09-27-20, 07:24 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Don't shift the front.
You don't need anything.
Exactly this, to start. My gf has a triple front crank and an 11-42 cassette on her road bike. Studying the gears she uses around home, I saw that she stays in the middle 39T chainring almost all the time. I bought a 1x gravel bike that came with a 42T front chainring, and a cassette from e-Thirteen that is 9-46. So she has a slightly higher high gear and a slightly lower low gear. It was very expensive. Stick with what you have and study the gears you use and when you don't have what you need. You'll figure it out.
Old 09-27-20, 08:34 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
You don't need a new RD or shifter. The only thing you need is a narrow wide chainring to replace your 2x or 3x rings you have now. Now if you want more range with your cassette then Sunrace makes 11-40/42 10 speed cassettes.
Likes For Canker:
Old 09-27-20, 09:09 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 483 Posts
My mountain bike is similar in age.

10 Speed XT, with a triple.

Dead easy conversion. Put on a NW chainring and remove the rest. Take off the stuff you don't need anymore. Basically done.

If yours is like mine, it probably came with an 11-36 cassette. It's pretty good but your front ring ia most likely 30 or 32. Mine is 30. So a low gear of 30x36 on a 29er just doesn't quite cut it. I switched to 11-42 because I had one already. It's a better ratio, very rarely would need something lower. Sunrace is light enough, pretty affordable, and will make a 10 speed cassette up to 11-46. No complaints whatsoever.

Mine is Shadow but not Plus. That means no clutch. That kinda sucks. If I break it or end up in a situation where the mountain bike is my main focus rather than a fun diversion, I'll switch to Shimano 12 speed. But that's a different topic for a different day.
Likes For rosefarts: