Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chain slipping, tension and chainline seem right ??

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-20, 02:01 PM
msl109

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts

Hi folks - just built up an older Cannondale 3.0 for my wife. Used an HG90 cassette, 13-30 in what looks like good condition, Shimano 105 (RD1050) RD. Wipperman chain.
The chain is slipping under power on the first 3 upper gears (13t, 15t, 17t). There also seems to be a bit of chain suck on the 13.
The chainline seems to be ok (see pic) and the cogs look to be in good shape (other pic). But when I adjust the RD tension, I get a slight improvement, less slippage. So I would normally attribute the slippage to low chain tension, but the tension feels right. If I remove another link, the RD will be stretched out past normal limits with the chain on on the 30t cog. I have thought to replace the 105 with a wider range derailleur (it's rated for 28t max, though I think this is conservative) so I could remove a link and still have the derailleur handle it. I'm just thinking I'm missing something obvious (?) Or I'm wrong about what I think is right ...
Thoughts? Appreciate any suggestions!

Chainline. Is the cage bent a bit inward? Significantly?

cog wear

Last edited by msl109; 09-30-20 at 02:03 PM. Reason: add info
Old 09-30-20, 02:17 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
A longer derailleur cage will not allow you to remove links from your chain. If the chain is too short for the big-big combination the cage will not change that fact
Old 09-30-20, 02:18 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Bent Derailleur Hanger!
Old 09-30-20, 02:22 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
According to OP: " Used an HG90 cassette, 13-30 in what looks like good condition,"
It is pretty much impossible to tell how worn a cassette is by looking at it. The true test is if the chain slips on some cogs
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 09-30-20, 02:35 PM
msl109

Originally Posted by trailangel
Bent Derailleur Hanger!
thought so. Possible culprit?

I think the derailleur cage itself may be bent.

Last edited by msl109; 09-30-20 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-30-20, 02:39 PM
msl109

Originally Posted by alcjphil
A longer derailleur cage will not allow you to remove links from your chain. If the chain is too short for the big-big combination the cage will not change that fact
Well, the chain is indeed too short for that, and that's why I can't see shortening it even more. But I'm not talking about crossing the chain all the way to extremes (large front to large rear)
Old 09-30-20, 03:48 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
In at least 9 cases out of 10, skipping on the smallest cogs means that the chain is worn out or the cassette is worn out or both are worn out. Install a new chain; if the skipping persists (which it almost certainly will), install a new cassette.

And get the derailleur alignment checked at a bike shop.

Once everything is squared away, start using the big ring and the middle of the cassette rather than exclusively using the middle or small ring and the small sprockets. The cassette will last much longer.
Old 09-30-20, 04:42 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by msl109
Well, the chain is indeed too short for that, and that's why I can't see shortening it even more. But I'm not talking about crossing the chain all the way to extremes (large front to large rear)
But if you or your wife does choose the big-big (and probably will at some point) combination with a too-short chain you will damage your derailleur and/or frame.
Old 09-30-20, 05:05 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Have you measured the chain for wear?

The hanger does look slightly bent in the photo.
Old 09-30-20, 05:12 PM
msl109

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
But if you or your wife does choose the big-big (and probably will at some point) combination with a too-short chain you will damage your derailleur and/or frame.
True - and its about as tight as I'd want it as is. I think the suggestion that the hanger is out of line may be the situation - going to check into that and also try another cassette just to check it isn't a wear issue.
Old 09-30-20, 06:40 PM
msl109

Originally Posted by Trakhak
In at least 9 cases out of 10, skipping on the smallest cogs means that the chain is worn out or the cassette is worn out or both are worn out. Install a new chain; if the skipping persists (which it almost certainly will), install a new cassette.

And get the derailleur alignment checked at a bike shop.

Once everything is squared away, start using the big ring and the middle of the cassette rather than exclusively using the middle or small ring and the small sprockets. The cassette will last much longer.
Thanks - you're probably right about wear. The chain is new, so that's not the issue. I'll replace the first few sprockets with ones I know have had no issues, have the alignment checked and see what happens.
Old 09-30-20, 09:37 PM
msl109

Originally Posted by andrewclaus
Have you measured the chain for wear?

The hanger does look slightly bent in the photo.
The chain is brand new!
I don't see any significant rounding off on the cog teeth but I know that can be subtle.
the hanger may be slightly bent - will have it checked.
pretty sure the derailleur cage itself is out of line - probably happened when I rebuilt it.
Old 09-30-20, 09:56 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 5,508 Times in 2,853 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
According to OP: " Used an HG90 cassette, 13-30 in what looks like good condition,"
It is pretty much impossible to tell how worn a cassette is by looking at it. The true test is if the chain slips on some cogs
^This.

And also, RD tension and chain length have nothing to do with a chain skipping on the cassette. Sometime back as an experiment, I installed a new chain on one of my bikes, and didn't remove any links at all. It has massive slack (on the lower chain) when on the small chainring and on the smaller half of the cassette, but functions perfectly.
Old 10-01-20, 07:25 AM
msl109

Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
^This.

And also, RD tension and chain length have nothing to do with a chain skipping on the cassette. Sometime back as an experiment, I installed a new chain on one of my bikes, and didn't remove any links at all. It has massive slack (on the lower chain) when on the small chainring and on the smaller half of the cassette, but functions perfectly.
Anyone want to chime in on this? Most of what I've read from professional sources says otherwise.
Old 10-01-20, 07:45 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 474 Posts
The amount of "tension" the chain puts on the derailleur cage can have a slight effect on the distance from the upper pulley to the cogs, but that can be corrected with a B-screw adjustment. A slack chain may result in slower shifting, but it has nothing at all to do with the chain slipping on the cogs. If the chain is slipping under load, it is definitely a worn cog that is to blame.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 10-01-20, 12:54 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by msl109
Anyone want to chime in on this? Most of what I've read from professional sources says otherwise.
Anything's possible. People fixing a flat for the first time and experiencing tube failures might indeed be buying defective tubes, but tubes from the same batch mysteriously never fail when installed by experienced mechanics.

Replace the cassette as soon as possible. Riding with a worn cassette can wear out a chain prematurely.
Old 10-01-20, 01:55 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
if used cassette + new chain = chain slip under load, the cassette is worn.

There may be minor hanger misalignment but the problem is almost 100% definitely caused by worn cogs. If it still slips with a new cassette I will eat my hat.

(I own a hat made out of gingerbread so this is no big sacrifice.)
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 10-01-20, 05:16 PM
msl109

Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
if used cassette + new chain = chain slip under load, the cassette is worn.

There may be minor hanger misalignment but the problem is almost 100% definitely caused by worn cogs. If it still slips with a new cassette I will eat my hat.

(I own a hat made out of gingerbread so this is no big sacrifice.)
You get no gingerbread, then; you and the others who said it was a worn cog were right. The der. hanger wasn't out of alignment, but the cage was bent a bit. I realigned it, and that had some positive effect, but on the smallest cog, I can see the chain catch on the cog before releasing, and under force, it slips. In fact, when the crank is turned backward, the chain rides pretty much on top of the teeth. The wear isn't visibly obvious, but the chain action tells the tale. The rest of the cogs behave normally. So I'm going to swap the cog for one I know is good, and I believe that will do the trick. Thanks for the advice!

Last edited by msl109; 10-01-20 at 05:27 PM.