Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Is there a way to edit routs on a garmin GPS

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-20, 09:33 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts

I usually use google but I like my garmin 1030 but for the first part of the ride mu=ight be a bad area like a homeless infested bike path or on a street thats not great. it would be nice to edit the path then put it on the garmin is there any somewhat easy way to do it?
Old 10-04-20, 09:41 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
I usually use google but I like my garmin 1030 but for the first part of the ride mu=ight be a bad area like a homeless infested bike path or on a street thats not great. it would be nice to edit the path then put it on the garmin is there any somewhat easy way to do it?
Dwmap, in the IQ store. There's a web app that will let you build a route and save it to download to your device. It munched my battery up though.
Old 10-04-20, 10:01 PM
mibike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I use RideWithGPS to plan my routes. You can edit the route on your phone with the RWGPS app. You can then send it to your Garmin with the RWGPS IQ app.
Old 10-04-20, 10:07 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
actually I see I can do it from the garmin connect website. I just need to drag the route a little to skip some bad areas. I was hoping the 1030 would work out my straight shot route when I was on it but it kept recalculating back to the bike path. but the on-line site once I got to the road I wanted recalculated using it. I like the visual directions on the garmin sometimes google is to slow or you cant figure it out by the voice directions.
Old 10-05-20, 07:21 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2603 Post(s)
Liked 1,926 Times in 1,209 Posts
FWIW, once I've got a good route (from connect or rwgps) I turn recalculate on the Garmin off. (It still pops up an annoying "Do you want to recalculate?" message if I stop at a convenience store with a large parking lot.) Otherwise, once I'm off course it does some wacky things.
Old 10-05-20, 08:01 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3234 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
FWIW, once I've got a good route (from connect or rwgps) I turn recalculate on the Garmin off. (It still pops up an annoying "Do you want to recalculate?" message if I stop at a convenience store with a large parking lot.) Otherwise, once I'm off course it does some wacky things.
I would create the route in RWGPS then edit on a smartphone. It's easier that trying this on the much smaller display on a 1030, which can't easily edit a navigable route to begin with. Then re-download and load the route. Or use Connect for this.

In theory, an update to the 1030 OS coming this fall, allows better choices if you go off route, including a "detour" option for when you want to wander off route for coffee It's features now on the 1030 Plus but supposedly being added to the older 1030