Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Mercier

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-20, 04:54 PM
Oldsledz

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 80 Posts
Mercier

Are Mercier bikes good? I don't have much info on this one and hope to be able to see it in person tomorrow. The seller says it is a 1972, what would a fair price be, all I have are these 3 photos.

Old 10-06-20, 05:50 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,338 Times in 2,178 Posts
-----

wheels are mismatched so at least one is a replacement
notice that valve on front wheel is a presta whilst valve on rear is a schrader
wonder if front wheel might be 700 size rather than 27"...

my guess would be that it is the rear

saddle definitely not original

seller dating plausible, if not 1972 then near to that date

there appears to be no damage and finish is in reasonable condition

it is similar to what was called a model 100 in the U.S. market

the big difference between the bicycle and the U.S. market model 100 is that the frame is of lugless construction while the U.S. market model 100 was of lugged construction

your location places you close to Canada; am wondering if it might be a Canadian market model, another possibility might be a european market bike

dating -

you may be able to read a date on the bicycle's Simplex Prestige model derailleurs. if present, it will be on the backside of the rear mech and on the underside of the front mech as in these pictures:

another place which may show a date is the small diamond symbol inside the Rigida SUPERCHROMIX wheel rim:

the cycle's model of Simplex Prestige shift levers first appears in manufacturer materials in 1970 and does not get on to new cycles until 1971

1971 was the final year for the model of Simplex quick release skewer seen in the cycle's front wheel hub

-----

Last edited by juvela; 10-06-20 at 07:15 PM. Reason: addition