Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Should I buy a used custom built Emonda SL?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 10-15-20, 02:35 PM
tmdz28

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Found a somewhat local road bike that fits what I am looking for.

2018 emonda SL frame and sram red shifters and crank, sfram force front and rear derailleur, bontager aeolus3 tlr wheels, etc.

The price is $2400. The guy advertise it as Emonda SL 7, since that was his aim for his build and he claimed he is not a fan of shimano. This is a big purchase for me and a big jump from my current Trek SL1000 that's over 15 years old.

But, for $2400, is there a better option on a brand new bike for me? Please advise. Thanks!
Old 10-15-20, 02:56 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3650 Post(s)
Liked 5,388 Times in 2,733 Posts
The current SL5 is $2700. You get flat mount discs, threaded bottom bracket, 12mm thru axles. Does the 2018 have all that? The frame is updated on the current Emonda, more aero supposedly. Also, though the SL5 is just 105, it's the latest 105 which is very good. Most cyclists would rather have Shimano 105 than any level of SRAM. Not all, of course, just most.... Also, Giant has a TCR with 105 and discs for $2500, though it may have a press fit bb.

Last edited by shelbyfv; 10-15-20 at 03:04 PM. Reason: add Giant
Old 10-15-20, 03:10 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Most cyclists would rather have Shimano 105 than any level of SRAM. Not all, of course, just most.
D'oh
Likes For GlennR:
Old 10-15-20, 05:43 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
The current SL5 is $2700. You get flat mount discs, threaded bottom bracket, 12mm thru axles. Does the 2018 have all that? The frame is updated on the current Emonda, more aero supposedly. Also, though the SL5 is just 105, it's the latest 105 which is very good. Most cyclists would rather have Shimano 105 than any level of SRAM. Not all, of course, just most.... Also, Giant has a TCR with 105 and discs for $2500, though it may have a press fit bb.
One of the issues though with going new is finding a bike in stock in your size. Even if you order one, it might be 6-9 months to get it. I ended up going with a Trek project one as they push my delivery date back on the SL Domane order back to March. When I was doing my P1 order, found that my setup I wanted would delay the shipping 85 days due to Tires and Cassette, so I changed the tires and Cassette to what they had in stock and it shipped in 3 days. I ordered a tires and cassette online and sold the ones I did not want.

Old 10-15-20, 05:49 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
For that price without a warranty, I wouldn't. The components are not that much better than what you can get new (not factoring the inventory crunch, which depends on individual level of desperation to buy something right away) in a way I'd appreciate.
Old 10-16-20, 06:49 AM
tmdz28

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys. I agree, post covid, finding a new bike is very difficult and the price of used ones have skyrocketed. I think i will holdout a little longer, especially from this particular seller since he was not upfront about the bike that he is selling.

I can wait another year or so, hopefully the supply and demand have stabilized by then.