Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

post your great cycling customer service experiences...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-20, 11:56 PM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts

1. Got a Giro Synthe MIPS and read about getting spare foam inserts / replacement pads. So I got a hold of Giro using their website contact form asking how to order and a price and immediately got an email asking for my mailing address. She sent me a new set in the mail, no questions asked!

2. My go-to Blackburn pump presta connection started leaking. Contacted through the company's website requesting info on how to order a new presta connection / chuck (and included pics of the pump and chuck) and deja-vu all over again - I get an email stating they don't make that / sell that separately and that they will instead send me a replacement (new) pump along with a pic:

Old 10-15-20, 10:57 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
When the cruciform area on my TerriTrike cracked, in only a week I was back riding on an up graded frame and seat frame. It cost me not one red cent.
Old 10-15-20, 05:34 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3672 Post(s)
Liked 5,425 Times in 2,757 Posts
Earlier this year I bought a Wahoo Kickr from REI. About 5 minutes into setup the thing died. The online diagnostics check ended with "contact us for replacement." Back to REI with it and they even came out and hauled it into the store for me. Great service from REI!
Old 10-15-20, 05:55 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Trek - The head on my pump was slipping off smooth valves so Trek sent me a replacement. The pump was 7 years old.

Giro - Crashed and cracked my 2 week only Synthe MIPS helmet. Giro gave me a 30% crash discount and the LBS (Brands) game me an additional 20%.

Look - Had problems with my Look Keo Carbon Blade pedals so they sent me a upgraded replacement pair of Look Keo Carbon with Ti spindles.

Cannnondale - Had a problem with the Sram Rival CX1 Hydro shifter and they sent me a replacement including the rear caliper.
Old 10-15-20, 08:36 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,962 Times in 4,688 Posts
Put a small rip in a fairly new Rapha jersey. Sent a pic with an online form to see if they would repair it. Quick reply: no, we can't repair that, but here's a $95 credit.

I'm guessing they gave me a $95 credit because that was half the jersey's full price; 'course, I had bought it in their sale section for...$95.

My local seamstress repaired the rip for about $8. It's barely visible.

My LBS has given me more terrific CS experiences than I can even enumerate. It's why I spend money with them first, before other options, and don't even do price comparisons. They have earned it many times over.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-16-20, 06:48 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
I've bought many small bicycle parts and accessories on line from Amazon, and bicycle tires from Schwalbe.com and have never had a problem requiring any after sale "customer service" with any of the products. Same applies to the bicycle accessories I bought at the Walmart store. The best customer experience may come from buying products at the right price that have no need to be replaced, fixed or returned.
Old 10-16-20, 07:06 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Purchased two tires at Pro Bike Supply and received an email stating that it was out of stock. Customer service asked if I wanted to upgrade to a more expensive tire (same brand) in stock. This ended up being a $50 upgrade, they then sent the tires next day air.
Old 10-16-20, 07:17 AM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced 2015, Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2015, Giant TCR Advanced 0 ISP 2008, Cube Cross Race SL 2018, Chapter2 TOA 2022

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 37 Posts
Bought a bottle of chain lube through Amazon that was sold by World Wide Cyclery. It arrived leaking in the package. Sent an email with a picture to WWC asking if I should handle through Amazon or WWC and got a response 20 minutes later stating a refund had been given through Amazon so I could purchase another bottle.

Several years back, bought a Specialized helmet direct from their website. It arrived with one of the straps not sewn at the ear loop, sent a replacement the next day.
Old 10-16-20, 07:24 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Several years ago I was at Bicycles East in Glastonbury, CT. Steve and Deb own the shop and they are two of the best people you will ever meet. Steve is a former Pratt & Whitney engineer and is very involved in fitting. He's been trained and done a lot of fitting over the years. One day I was in the shop and he was showing me his brand new fit machines. All computerized and digital/video type equipment from Trek/Bontrager. State of the Art. He mentioned that he had been trained with the equipment but wanted some practical experience. Then he offered to do a full fit for me for free just for practice. I, of course, accepted.
Old 10-16-20, 08:25 AM
momoman

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10, Zizzo Liberte, 2022 Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 92 Posts
On my first visit to a LBS near my new job last year I showed a picture of a red Medici frame I was building up to the shop owner. He said, “I have the perfect thing for your bike!” and he reached for a Serfas woven multicolored handlebar tape and handed it to me. I asked, “How much?”. He replied, “Nothing. It’s my gift to you!”

I’ve since then bought some accessories from him and had him build 2 wheels for me. I’m working from home now but will drive back to have him build some more wheels and true some vintage wheels I’ve accumulated.

The Serfas woven tape was a perfect color match for my bike!

I chose red, yellow and black for the bike’s colors.
Likes For momoman:
Old 10-16-20, 08:26 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,931 Times in 1,212 Posts
Five year old Polar water bottle lids were coming loose. Email customer service, I ended up getting three new lids for postage (which cost about half the price of one replacement bottle!).

Sidewall bubble on a new tire. Emailed customer service, they asked me for a picture and my address. Sent them a picture, they sent me a new tire. I'm not sure if I should name them, to brag about their service, or keep quiet, so as not to publicize the poor quality control.

LBSs. Oh so many times. Guy in Clarks Fork, ID replaced a set of brake pads, didn't want to charge me. I shared some fig newtons with him instead.

Local mechanic spent a month on one bottom bracket, and then a month later, six weeks on another BB, breaking them loose so he could replace them. Labor was included in the retail price of the replacement bottom brackets.

I've gotten a lot of free adjustments, or installation of parts bought at MSRP, from my LBS that seem incredible in these days of $35/hour shop charges.

I can't remember where it was now, probably Illinois or Missouri, walked into a small town bike shop on tour with a couple spokes loose. The owner or manager literally dropped what he was doing to get those wheels trued, and they stayed true for at least a couple thousand miles after that. I expected to go eat lunch, visit the local museum or library, maybe even spend the night, but he got me in and out in no time.
Old 10-16-20, 09:01 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10960 Post(s)
Liked 7,488 Times in 4,189 Posts
I dont buy anything that requires me to contact customer service since I only own excellent products.***

Really though, Rapha customer service is really good and quick with response time as well as sending out new gear. At their prices, they should be.
And BlackBibs agreed to accept some old unused bibs for credit since I wanted a different style even though it was months past the return by date. At their prices, it was nice to see.
Old 10-16-20, 09:49 AM
jadocs

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I dont buy anything that requires me to contact customer service since I only own excellent products.***

Really though, Rapha customer service is really good and quick with response time as well as sending out new gear. At their prices, they should be.
And BlackBibs agreed to accept some old unused bibs for credit since I wanted a different style even though it was months past the return by date. At their prices, it was nice to see.
Yeah you are right about that. I have some pro team glasses that broke where the arm connects to the lens, which were over one year old and Rapha just gave me a $135 credit since they don't carry those models anymore.
Old 10-16-20, 03:23 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,990 Times in 2,663 Posts
Specialized and Tern have excellent customer service and really do well by their customers. Bosch is generally pretty good though they can take a while sometimes as they get to the bottom of the problem.

A good note to any company reading this, do not get rid of your warranty staff and attempt to replace them or downsize them. It makes my life tougher and makes customers trust you less.
Old 10-22-20, 09:12 AM
BrNorton007

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for info!
Old 10-22-20, 12:54 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Coming from a different perspective, the best customer experience I had was this summer. We are simply slammed at the shop, get one repair done, and two come in. That kind of summer. In comes a fella with a beautifully maintained bike needing some adjustments, but needed them now (typical) as he was riding. The guy was sooooo pleasant and kind that how could I turn him down? Did the work, and he was off with a multiple thank you and graciousness. He shows up the next day with lunch for everyone in the shop. Comes in again at the end of the week with more lunch for all! That was the best customer experience I have ever had, and he earned his place in the greatest customer hall of fame.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 10-22-20, 02:33 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Schwalbe tires.
Bought 2 sets of 'sturdy' tires. Marathon clinchers in 32mm, and tubular 30mm ProOne (i think?).
After mounting the tubulars there was a slow leak in one. Seemed to be valve. I was pissed, called customer service.

They offered me a replacement tire OR a replacement valve - which might save me the effort of pulling off, then regluing a new tire. I took the new tire.

It arrived quickly with a new spare valve. Great customer service. A real human, polite , competent and authorized to handle a replacement on the spot (even if it was only a tire).
Old 10-23-20, 08:42 AM
jadocs

MAVIC is the same way. I had a defect in one of my tires and they sent me two brand new tires.
Old 10-23-20, 08:46 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
There is a local shop I try to patronize if possible. Friendly bunch, and even tho I don't buy a lot, when they aren't real busy, we enjoy discussing bikes, biking experiences, etc. A friend had a straddle cable break on an older Trek hybrid on a ride. We stopped by the shop, expecting we might have to leave the bike and pick it up later. They fixed it on the spot, also found his threaded headset was loose. They fixed the cable, adjusted the headset, gave it a quick look over, all at a very reasonable price. He ended up buying his new hybrid from them.