Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Weigles Frame Saver

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Weigles Frame Saver

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-20, 11:37 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Weigles Frame Saver

I want to treat the inside of several of my steel bikes for protection against rust. In the past I have used Weigles Frame Saver but can't find it in stock anywhere. I have some Boeshield T9, I understand it is a rust preventative also but not sure if it is as good as Weigles.
Whats your feeling about T9 ?

Seems like anything I want in the way of bike stuff is out of stock lately, thanks Pandemic !
Old 10-16-20, 12:13 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I've known lots of folks who use Boeshield as a frame preserver. You can also go old school and use linseed oil.
Old 10-16-20, 06:12 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Boeshield was developed for Boeing Company as a metal protectant and lubricant: https://boeshield.com/about/
Amsoil HDMP is frequently said to be equivalent to Weigle Frame Saver. https://www.amsoil.com/p/heavy-duty-...otector-amhsc/
Old 10-16-20, 07:12 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2737 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
I've known lots of folks who use Boeshield as a frame preserver. You can also go old school and use linseed oil.
I've only ever used the Weigle stuff once, but re linseed oil, my understanding is that as it dries to a (perhaps) more harder or stickier consistency than the spray stuff like Weigle, I'd be extra careful of plugging up the bb threads area to avoid any issues with the threads getting too gummed up with linseed oil and being really hard to clear out afterwards.

I could be wrong on this, but probably worth getting well informed in case this can be an issue.
I put either paper towels or rags well into this area when I did the framesaver thing, paper towels I think, hoping they would absorb more of the stuff dripping down into this area from all directions as I turned the frame around in all positions as I sprayed here and there.
Didnt have any issues reinstalling bb so threads were ok, so I would do the same another time.
Old 10-16-20, 07:57 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
"Amsoil MPHD Heavy Duty Metal Protector" is available at most NAPA auto parts stores and is identical to Frame Saver. You get a larger spray can for less cost and it works exactly the same. I am sure Amsoil private labels this product for JP Weigel.

BTW, T9 is available at Amazon but the Amsoil product is better.
Old 10-16-20, 08:41 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Amsoil HDMP is frequently said to be equivalent to Weigle Frame Saver. https://www.amsoil.com/p/heavy-duty-...otector-amhsc/
I've been using the Amsoil for a half dozen years. I don't know how well it's doing, but all the rust on my bikes seems to be on the outside.
Old 10-16-20, 09:07 AM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
Side note: JP Weigel no longer owns Frame Saver, Frame Saver is now owned by Problem Solvers, which is owned by QBP. I just checked, there is plenty of Frame Saver in stock in QBP's warehouses. If you can't find some in stock locally, your local bike shop should be able to order it for you.
Old 10-16-20, 09:41 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
I got some of this stuff at my local home DIY store for under $5. I've used the Weigle product on a few frames and, while I can't promise this works as well, it smells like Weigle frame saver. not sure what that means. I shot a few sparys into my new steel frame just now. will report back in a few years (ha!) if the frame rusts from the inside out.

Old 10-16-20, 11:15 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 798 Times in 475 Posts
+1 for the Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protector. I use it in all the frames that I build and I don't see any difference between it and Frame Saver, except the cost and size of the can.
Old 10-16-20, 11:30 AM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Thanks everyone for the help ! Our local auto parts close by carries the Amsoil meta protector. I will give it a try.
Old 10-16-20, 11:38 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
I've been using Amsoil MPHD Heavy Duty Metal Protector the past 18 years on my steel bikes. Can and applicator are easy to use and the $8 can does 3 bikes. So far, all my treated bikes are doing just fine.
Old 10-16-20, 12:26 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2737 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
common sense seems to me that the most important thing is to be liberal with how much you spray in, and be ready to turn the frame every which way and more, to try to get the stuff all over the insides.
I did one section at a time and tried also to spray with a thin long nozzle tube thing in different directions, to help the chances of the product going all over, combined with fast and repeated turning the frame around , imagining the stuff running down inside to try to get it all over.
Old 10-16-20, 03:17 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,693 Times in 2,515 Posts
Fluid Film seems to be the best alternative to Framesaver. Peter Weigle says they tried it while developing framesaver and it doesn't work as well, but I forget his exact objections. Maybe that it's harder to apply. But you can get a wand to apply it in tubes.