Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Buying a new road bike

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Buying a new road bike

Old 10-16-20, 09:46 AM
Pilas12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buying a new road bike

I'm in the process of looking for a new road bike. I haven't owned a road bike in over 10 years. I used to do most of my training on the road, but in the past years I have been mostly riding my MTBs and for the last couple of years I have been doing some mixed terrain riding on my CX bike. I want something fun and fast for the road, mostly for 2 to 3 hour rides with the occasional longer ride thrown in. I don't want an endurance geometry since I would like something more responsive and fast. I have a pretty good level of fitness (I'm in my early 50s), not a power rider, but a pretty decent climber.
I'm considering the following bikes: Specialized Tarmac (Ultegra), Scott Addict RC (Dura Ace), and Bianchi Oltre X3. The Scott and Bianchi are priced similarly, while the Tarmac is a few hundred dollars less. Wheelsets are pretty similar, and most likely will ended up being upgraded soon...
Any advice? I would like to hear from people who ride or have ridden any of these bikes.
Thanks in advance.
Old 10-16-20, 11:10 AM
saddlesniffer

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL 8.0

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Parlee and Zerouno are nice rides as well. More of a boutique brand but killer rides for climbing IMO.
Old 10-17-20, 06:33 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
It's hard to find a bad bike these days. Budget is you main concern. The lightest frames with the best parts are now in the 10-12,000 range, which is totally unnecessary for most riders. The lower priced bikes will nearly all have Shimano105 components, then Ulterga, Ultegra Di2, DuraAce and DuraAce Di2. SRAM Force and RED wireless etap AXS will only be on the upper 2-3 levels.

Don't rule out endurance bikes. They may not handle that much differently. The reach may be 10mm shorter and the stack 20mm taller. Those are the two dimensions that determine how the bike will fit. I see a lot of people with a racing model that has a big stack of spacers and a high rise stem. They should have bought an endurance bike.
Old 10-17-20, 06:40 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
It's hard to find a bad bike these days. Budget is you main concern. The lightest frames with the best parts are now in the 10-12,000 range, which is totally unnecessary for most riders. The lower priced bikes will nearly all have Shimano105 components, then Ulterga, Ultegra Di2, DuraAce and DuraAce Di2. SRAM Force and RED wireless etap AXS will only be on the upper 2-3 levels.

Don't rule out endurance bikes. They may not handle that much differently. The reach may be 10mm shorter and the stack 20mm taller. Those are the two dimensions that determine how the bike will fit. I see a lot of people with a racing model that has a big stack of spacers and a high rise stem. They should have bought an endurance bike.
Did you even read the OP?
Old 10-17-20, 06:44 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Buy the bike that "fits" you best.

When I got into road cycling, I test road a Specialized, Trek and Cervelo. The Trek fit best and when I decided to upgrade, I test road a few and again the Trek was the best fit.

When looking for a "foul" weather bike i bought a used Scott and was not comfortable on it. I sold it and wound up with a Cannondale since it fit and has what I was looking for, ie. disc brakes, and Sram 1x.

If you can afford it, get a pre-purchase fit so you know what you're looking for. You can fin tune the fit by replacing the stock seatpost and stem. Saddle is another thing you might want to eventually replace.

I love my Trek Emonda SLR. The SL models are a lot cheaper and offer different groupsets. Mine is a 1st generation and they just came out with the 3rd generation so you should check it out. The frame is a H1.5 so it's aggressive by not back breaking.

Last edited by GlennR; 10-17-20 at 06:48 PM.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 10-19-20, 06:39 AM
v70cat

Bikes: S5 VWD & SL-7 S works Red.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What makes them a better climbing: less weight, stiffness, electronic motors or just your view point?
Old 10-22-20, 12:22 PM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
I don't believe that you will be able to notice the difference between road and endurance geometry once you are riding. I'd buy the bike that felt the most comfortable on a test ride.
Old 10-22-20, 12:45 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Originally Posted by Pilas12
I'm considering the following bikes: Specialized Tarmac (Ultegra), Scott Addict RC (Dura Ace), and Bianchi Oltre X3. The Scott and Bianchi are priced similarly, while the Tarmac is a few hundred dollars less. Wheelsets are pretty similar, and most likely will ended up being upgraded soon...
Any advice? I would like to hear from people who ride or have ridden any of these bikes.
My Tarmac I just got this last March is a very comfortable ride..... IMO. You might add a Cannondale SuperSix EVO to your list as that was one on my short list when I got the Tarmac. But any of your other choices are likely good bikes. Though if you can't try any on for size, then you will just have to guess which one is perfect for you.

Any advice?
If you still have trouble deciding, then look at things like crank length and handlebar width of each bike. If they are all the same, then it won't help. However if one has cranks too long or short for you and maybe handlebars too wide or narrow then that might be a reason to drop them.

I wound up putting shorter cranks on my Tarmac before taking it out of the shop. I'm now planning on putting narrower handlebars on it if I'd ever quit spending so much time here at BF <grin>.

Last edited by Iride01; 10-22-20 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-22-20, 01:09 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Specialized Aethos Expert with Ultegra Di2 is $5200. Only $200 more than the similarly equipped Tarmac SL7 Expert with Ultegra Di2.

Just throwin' it out there... I haven't rode either but the two bikes have identical geometry. The Tarmac (920g frameset) is more aero, and the Aethos (699g) is lighter.
Old 10-23-20, 03:21 PM
Paopawdecarabao

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Specialized Aethos Expert with Ultegra Di2 is $5200. Only $200 more than the similarly equipped Tarmac SL7 Expert with Ultegra Di2.

Just throwin' it out there... I haven't rode either but the two bikes have identical geometry. The Tarmac (920g frameset) is more aero, and the Aethos (699g) is lighter.
Do you have a link? The expert model doesn't come with a Di2 just the pro.
Old 10-23-20, 04:25 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by Paopawdecarabao
Do you have a link? The expert model doesn't come with a Di2 just the pro.
?

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ae...ext=97221-3049

Its Di2.
Old 10-24-20, 07:43 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
I think the trend among manufacturers has been to create greater differentiation between "race" bikes and "endurance" bikes .... adding weight (including rudimentary suspension in some cases) to the endurance models while keeping the race bikes light and quick.

Doesn't have to be that way. I have a Workswell 093 "endurance-geometry" frame built up with 105 which is only a a few ounces heavier than my Workswell Cervelo-R clone with Ultegra. The 093 is definitely more comfortable but part of that is choice---higher stack but also more spacers. I could have built it with the same seat-bar drop as the other had I chosen.

The seat is a little further back (slightly slacker seat tube) and the head-tube angle is what, half a degree slacker?

Yes, the 093 is a little bit less twitchy, but nothing like "sluggish." The wheels on the 093 are actually 60 grams lighter, so despite being shod with 28s instead of 23s, the wheels weigh about the same---and spin up easily. The 093 feels a little more relaxed ---as I built it---but I could have built it with Ultegra, no spacers, and had a very similar bike to the 066 (Cervelo clone.)

Not saying you should buy or even consider an endurance bike. if you lik the razor-shar (sneeze and change lanes) handling of a race bike, and are comfortable in a long, low riding position .... stay with a race frame,. And you can of course add spacers and an upward-angled stem to the race bike to sit more upright.

I just want to point out hat "endurance" geometry does Not mean a bike which is heavy and sluggish.

I also own a Fuiji Sportif---Al-frame endurance bike---which I bought at a super price vial the internet. I was really disappointed when I got it---the thing felt like it was riding through wet cement. I swapped the stock wheels (2 kg) for some 1400-g CF rims and the bike completely transformed--the thing seems to leap forward when I pedal.

I like having the options--after a hard day on the racier 066, I can do a second day on the 093 while a second day on the 066 might be too painful for my lower back. Some days I feel racier, and ride the 066. In terms of time and speed and other metrics, performance is the same.

But ... whatever. If you want a racier frame, wonderful. Ride what you like in whatever fashion suits you.