Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-20, 08:56 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
At work they have now decided that the best way to get things done is to "swarm" a task until it's done, and then move on.

This results in Teams meetings with 7 people, where one of them is clicking buttons, one or two are advising them, and the rest of us are ******g around on the internet.

Definitely much more efficient. For sure.
Old 10-13-20, 11:09 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
8:25 AM ET
  • Associated Press
ROME -- The Giro d'Italia was thrown into chaos Tuesday when two full teams, another overall contender and one more elite rider withdrew from the cycling race following a series of positive tests for the coronavirus.
Old 10-13-20, 11:13 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
8:25 AM ET
  • Associated Press
ROME -- The Giro d'Italia was thrown into chaos Tuesday when two full teams, another overall contender and one more elite rider withdrew from the cycling race following a series of positive tests for the coronavirus.
I'd like to see them stay in and see if they can win with it.
Old 10-14-20, 07:05 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Likes For gsteinb:
Old 10-14-20, 01:43 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Ffs
Likes For ridethecliche:
Old 10-14-20, 03:58 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by ridethecliche
Ffs

:/ not a fan of Omar?
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 10-15-20, 12:40 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Currently pretty frustrated. Haven't been on a bike in a week since I wanted to give the knee some time to figure itself out. Gonna up the stretching /yoga game in the Interim.

Set up sports med apt in 4 weeks. Will see if I can get one sooner but hopefully things will start stable ish till then.
Old 10-18-20, 11:58 AM
Doge

Brandon opened up his power profiles. They were not previously available publicly.

Junior is visiting us for 4 days and just got back from ID. He is huge (as in weight lifting) and has made the transition from caring about cycling speed to handling max G force. Says the quads will make a big difference.
Old 10-18-20, 03:23 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,454 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Brandon opened up his power profiles. They were not previously available publicly.

Junior is visiting us for 4 days and just got back from ID. He is huge (as in weight lifting) and has made the transition from caring about cycling speed to handling max G force. Says the quads will make a big difference.
I may have seen jr cycling. A guy in an Air Force jersey roiled by my car no hands north on El Camino and Christianitos as we were getting ready to go south at 10:06 AM today. We are in Newport Beach.

Working out at Life Time San Clemente.

Last edited by Hermes; 10-18-20 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-18-20, 04:15 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by Hermes
I may have seen jr cycling. A guy in an Air Force jersey roiled by my car no hands north on El Camino and Christianitos as we were getting ready to go south at 10:06 AM today. We are in Newport Beach.

Working out at Life Time San Clemente.
I expect you did. That would be about the time. We live 5 min from there. He was finishing a ride about then.
He's running fury legs now. I've never seen that and it looks so weird.
Edit: Yup - that was him.

I did not know Life Time was open. They opened just before the shutdown. When the kids were little that was their pool (pre-LifeTime) and I'd run them their and back. That was my run over the top and down. I may join, but they had an opening deal and when I went to join it was bumped up $60/month. Their ads make it look like a 20 something meat market. At their prices, I doubt it, but I was not so into the waiting for the equipment while dude is locked into conversation with some cute girl using the leg extension bench as a dating tool.

Last edited by Doge; 10-18-20 at 09:36 PM.
Old 10-19-20, 09:10 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by Doge
I expect you did. That would be about the time. We live 5 min from there. He was finishing a ride about then.
He's running fury legs now. I've never seen that and it looks so weird.
Edit: Yup - that was him.

I did not know Life Time was open. They opened just before the shutdown. When the kids were little that was their pool (pre-LifeTime) and I'd run them their and back. That was my run over the top and down. I may join, but they had an opening deal and when I went to join it was bumped up $60/month. Their ads make it look like a 20 something meat market. At their prices, I doubt it, but I was not so into the waiting for the equipment while dude is locked into conversation with some cute girl using the leg extension bench as a dating tool.
I was going to call out to him but he was too far down the road when I finally decided it was him. Oh well.
Old 10-19-20, 01:52 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
This is picky junk, but my newer Wahoo Elemnt has a hair trigger autopause that's been eff'ing up my speeds. I zoomed in on the "moving" parts of my rides after getting it and compared it to where it includes the stop/start stuff......the change was pretty drastic.

I was like "man, that ride was slow". Then noticed it is taking its sweet time to stop, but restarts if you even roll the bike like 3 feet. Geez.

I use that figure as a "gross" measure of my power and aero-ness. Nothing really quality, but it made me raise my eyebrow a touch.
Old 10-20-20, 11:37 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
I bought a gravel bike last week. It has tubeless and 1x but not hydraulic discs. My friend who is a gravel expert said not to stress that it was not hydraulic and to just buy the bike since the price was good and it was in stock in my size. Looking forward to getting out to ride it this weekend.

Also, sold my old cross bike. It was very nice when it was new, 10 years ago, but it was always a bit small for me. It went surprisingly fast. Was gone in just a couple days. Several people contacted me about it, and most were looking for a road bike but couldn't find one in their size/budget. I had it set up 1x and with cross tires, but I ended up putting an old compact double and FD that had been sitting in my parts bin for years and some older, used road tires to make the sale. Buyer got what he wanted, and I got rid of a bike collecting cobwebs and cleared some stuff from my parts bin.

Up next is my ~12 year old MTB. It's also a bit small for me. I knew it was borderline too small when I bought it, but at the time, the deal was too good to pass up. I'm going to loan it to my sister in law to see if she can ride it. I have a feeling that it will be borderline too big for her. But I don't need it collecting dust in my shed any more. If I want, I can look to get myself a new MTB once I pay off my gravel bike. When shops offer me 0% financing, I take advantage of it.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 10-20-20, 11:38 AM
topflightpro

Also, I look like I got into a fight. I have a black eye and my left cheek is all black and blue.

Had oral surgery late last week to fix receding gum issues. It was a lot more intense than I expected. At least I'll be better prepared for when I do the right side next year.
Old 10-20-20, 12:09 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

skin graft?

I had it done when I was younger, just out of college I think. They took skin from the roof of my mouth to graft onto my gums. It really sucked.
Old 10-20-20, 02:54 PM
topflightpro

skin graft?

I had it done when I was younger, just out of college I think. They took skin from the roof of my mouth to graft onto my gums. It really sucked.
Yep.
Old 10-20-20, 09:35 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Also, I look like I got into a fight. I have a black eye and my left cheek is all black and blue.

Had oral surgery late last week to fix receding gum issues. It was a lot more intense than I expected. At least I'll be better prepared for when I do the right side next year.
Huh. I had bone grafts for receding bone. Ended up pulling a tooth about 5 years later (missing a molar now). My gums are definitely receded. I've resigned myself to losing all my teeth at some point in the closer-than-further future.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 10-21-20, 05:22 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Currently pretty frustrated. Haven't been on a bike in a week since I wanted to give the knee some time to figure itself out. Gonna up the stretching /yoga game in the Interim.

Set up sports med apt in 4 weeks. Will see if I can get one sooner but hopefully things will start stable ish till then.

In relation to stretching/yoga anything other than riding...when did the pain start, and what have you added in plus what volume? I always found that whenever I started stretching my knees hurt. Also the culprit can be position. My body is super sensitive to position. A hair this way, and my back hurts. A hair too high and my knees hurt. A hair too low and my knees hurt.

If it were me I'd strip anything out I added and make sure I add stuff in a way that I could track changes in my body.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 10-21-20, 06:08 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
For all my engineer and TT bike wizardry for fit video and trying to be faster..........sometimes I'm just a lazy idiot.

I had rewaxed the chain recently. Usually I let it hang overnight, then break the links loose and put it on. Then back pedal the drivetrain outdoors to fling off the excess wax and not piss off the wife.

This time, I just wiped the excess and threw it on once cool to touch. Then backpedaled it real quick. I figured the backpedal should do. Nope. Wrong wrong. I had noticed the rides after tossing that sucker on just felt wrong. This morning swapping a wheel out I unlooped the chain from the chainring. I immediately noticed half the links were not "floppy" or readily moving. They must have moved enough to just make it through the RD pulleys.

Geeez. Dummy.
Old 10-21-20, 10:58 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

In relation to stretching/yoga anything other than riding...when did the pain start, and what have you added in plus what volume? I always found that whenever I started stretching my knees hurt. Also the culprit can be position. My body is super sensitive to position. A hair this way, and my back hurts. A hair too high and my knees hurt. A hair too low and my knees hurt.

If it were me I'd strip anything out I added and make sure I add stuff in a way that I could track changes in my body.
I've been making changes pretty slowly. When I got a fit my fitter said I was too far back and high, I've been slowly working my saddle forward and just went up a little before the ride over the weekend. Felt pretty good so I made a note of everything today. Felt a bit too much weight on my hands after the stem swap and realized my saddle was nose down a bunch, so just went up 1* and will re-evaluate.

This is the same issue I was dealing with which made me quit riding in college. I managed to get a sports med appointment last friday. Doc said it was chondromalacia/patellofemoral syndrome likely from poor knee tracking in the patellar groove. I need to do some more targeted PT. I've had more shims put under my right foot and am using an insole with way more arch support since my right foot arch collapses if you look at it funny.

Edit: Reading through my posts from back then I made changes like... on the daily when stuff didn't feel right. I was super frustrated back then but trying to be way more systematic about things in general right now. Have been keeping the fitter in the loop. Will likely go back for a 'check in' if possible after I finish PT.

Last edited by ridethecliche; 10-21-20 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-21-20, 11:58 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

I've been making changes pretty slowly. When I got a fit my fitter said I was too far back and high, I've been slowly working my saddle forward and just went up a little before the ride over the weekend. Felt pretty good so I made a note of everything today. Felt a bit too much weight on my hands after the stem swap and realized my saddle was nose down a bunch, so just went up 1* and will re-evaluate.

This is the same issue I was dealing with which made me quit riding in college. I managed to get a sports med appointment last friday. Doc said it was chondromalacia/patellofemoral syndrome likely from poor knee tracking in the patellar groove. I need to do some more targeted PT. I've had more shims put under my right foot and am using an insole with way more arch support since my right foot arch collapses if you look at it funny.

Edit: Reading through my posts from back then I made changes like... on the daily when stuff didn't feel right. I was super frustrated back then but trying to be way more systematic about things in general right now. Have been keeping the fitter in the loop. Will likely go back for a 'check in' if possible after I finish PT.
FWIW, I have large flat feet and developed arthritis in my big toes. The fix, other than surgery, is orthotics that create a depression for the toe and stabilize the foot. My podiatrist was also a cyclist and made some fancy custom thin orthotics for my cycling shoes.

So what does that have to do with bike fit and knees?

When I did my Retuil and aero fit / testing with ERO, the fitter looked at my shoes and orthotics and said, well, a lot of my work is complete. Hence my knees track perfectly on the bike per the computer. The fitter said the most important part of bike fit starts with the feet that require precise adjustment. As one moves upward, dimensions become less precise because cyclists slide around on the saddle. However, knee tracking is about the foot and its position in the shoe.

And knee pain can be a function of tight IT bands and or weak abductors. Foam rolling and band walking may help. I suspect PT guys should be all over that issue.

Trying to help docs is like selling the Pope on the benefits of religion. You guys already know this stuff. Hope you knees feel better.

Last edited by Hermes; 10-21-20 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-21-20, 11:25 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
skin graft?

FML - I pop in to see what's going on and get hit with this...

I really wish I hadn't read that! (and that you didn't have to go through it!)

my race videos
Old 10-22-20, 09:35 AM
topflightpro

Originally Posted by mattm
FML - I pop in to see what's going on and get hit with this...

I really wish I hadn't read that! (and that you didn't have to go through it!)
Glad you’re still around.
Old 10-26-20, 04:57 PM
Doge

As reported to me...Junior goes to ride with a friend 30 min away in Scottsdale. He forgets his thru axle skewer.
They go by Dynamite bike shop Scottsdale, AZ who have no idea who the two of them are.

They have no thru axles and just give him a bike to ride.

Shops like this are so cool. I certainly understand why most don't do this kind of thing, but DOGE will be placing an order for a lot of stuff soon.

Last edited by Doge; 10-26-20 at 05:19 PM.
Likes For Doge:
Old 10-27-20, 01:37 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Originally Posted by Hermes
FWIW, I have large flat feet and developed arthritis in my big toes. The fix, other than surgery, is orthotics that create a depression for the toe and stabilize the foot. My podiatrist was also a cyclist and made some fancy custom thin orthotics for my cycling shoes.

So what does that have to do with bike fit and knees?

When I did my Retuil and aero fit / testing with ERO, the fitter looked at my shoes and orthotics and said, well, a lot of my work is complete. Hence my knees track perfectly on the bike per the computer. The fitter said the most important part of bike fit starts with the feet that require precise adjustment. As one moves upward, dimensions become less precise because cyclists slide around on the saddle. However, knee tracking is about the foot and its position in the shoe.

And knee pain can be a function of tight IT bands and or weak abductors. Foam rolling and band walking may help. I suspect PT guys should be all over that issue.

Trying to help docs is like selling the Pope on the benefits of religion. You guys already know this stuff. Hope you knees feel better.
Well, knee tracking can also be a function of tight IT bands, weak abductors, etc. If things are out of whack at certain parts of the stroke, the knee won't track properly even if the foot is where it's supposed to be. Wedging the heck out of the cleat/shoe at this point can actually be a detriment. I 100% see what you're saying though. I've started foam rolling a bunch more and have been doing band squats as well. Seems to be helping so far. I did 60 miles with 2600ft climbing on weds and then 46 miles with 2850ft of climbing on saturday with two short 1hr trainer sessions on thurs/fri and things seem to be going okay.

I was supposed to do a 2.5hr sufferfest workout yesterday but quit 1.5 hrs in AFTER I BENT MY FREAKING CHAIN.
I also really wasn't feeling it. Felt very hard to keep the power up and the cadence kept dropping. Knee feels a bit sore now but okay. Should have pulled the plug when my cadence kept dropping down to the 60-70 range for no real reason.
Likes For ridethecliche:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.