Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Bianchi San Jose

Old 03-16-17, 03:54 PM
eduhat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bianchi San Jose

Hey Guys,

First time posting here. Since I just won the frame of my [supposed] dreams, I figured I'm going to need some assistance along the way.

My frame is a Bianchi San Jose in 58CM. I'm 5'11" with a "true" inseam of 34-35 (measure) but I wear a 32 inseam in jeans. Anyways, my goal is to build an urban commuter that I can take on my weekly rides with the guys. I like to hop curbs and such, pop up the front end every now and then, things like that. When we go on the rides, we normally to 15-25 miles at about 12-16 MPH which I'm perfectly fine doing on my Raleigh Redux 1. I just want this build to be able to take abuse but also able to get on the road and ride. I picked this frame because of the larger tire clearances than other frames.

The frame came with the frame itself, fork and the headset. Any suggestion on parts? I'll most likely (if possible) get a flip flop hub between fixed and free wheel, I know I've seen a lot of Surly stuff thrown around. Other than that, I just want it to be built strong and able to take abuse.

I look forward to your input!
Old 03-16-17, 04:16 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
I will comment on rims. I have had good experiences with my Velocity Dyad rims taking my abuse. I weight over 200lbs and I do a bit of curb hoping and trail riding. I used to have these wheels on a road bike and I never felt like the wheels were heavy enough to slow me down.
Old 03-16-17, 07:40 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
rims

Alex R450 rims are pretty strong too. They are 36 spoke, and are sold at amazon. You can find a track version with a freewheel on one side and fixed gear on the other. I think you can find a set for around $110.

Dave
Old 03-16-17, 08:33 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
+1 for Dyads. Velocity makes solid stuff and their Dyads have been quite popular with touring cyclists and if they go for it, it is usually at least very durable and functional. Get a handbuilt wheel with those, decent spokes and a good hub and you will be set for a long time.

-1 for buying crap through Amazon, Jeff Bezos can suck it! Go to your local shop and support them. If you absolutely have to purchase something online go through Retrogression or someone like that, that actually has a brick and mortar shop and knows a thing or two about bikes.

I would do my best to avoid curb jumping and other activities like that, they tend to cause lots of flats and if you are on a bike you shouldn't be on the sidewalk unless an absolute emergency.

Freewheel: White Industries, I now have two and they are smooth as butter and sound great when coasting but are nice and quiet when you are laying down some speed. It ain't cheap but you will have it for a while and not have to worry and when bearings go you can replace them but that probably won't be for quite a long time. Plus made in 'Merica!

Hubs: Surly or All City is a fine option if you are looking to save, sealed bearing is a great way to go unless you are a track racer with a mechanic or have the knowledge yourself. If you are looking to be a bit spendier Phil Wood also made in the U.S. and sealed bearing but basically will outlast your bike. I know some folks who have Phil hubs from the 70s still going strong. Plus you have all sorts of anodizing and spoke options but if you ever see that little red Phil script you know you have arrived.

Spokes: Any of the major players will do fine, I happen to use Sapim a lot and one of the well known well established wheel builders uses them as well. Sapim Strong is what I have on my touring bike for extra durability and I use the Force on my Fixed/Single RandoCross bike. DT Swiss Competition or Wheelsmith DB14s are just fine as well. Use brass nipples and a competent wheel builder and you shouldn't have issues.

Fixed Cogs: I prefer Sugino Gigas or EAI Superstar or other quality type cog, for a quiet drivetrain you want round and smooth and generally want something like stainless steel so it will last. The polish or coating is handy to keeping it run well

Chains: D.I.D. Track Racing Pro has been my favorite chain so far, it runs quietly and hasn't seen much stretch because typically track chains don't see the same wear that a derailleur chain will. Izumi Super Toughness is the go to for a lot of folks and certainly works well but you can get the D.I.D. much cheaper. I would also recommend the KMC X101 so far so good on that one and is reasonably cheap but the bike it is on hasn't been ridden so much.

Chainring: I run Sugino Messenger chainrings and they are just fine and dandy and will hold up to some abuse. So far they are pretty quiet with the Gigas cog or Dura Ace cog and D.I.D. chain. If you are going 144 than Sugino 75s or Zen is a great option. I am using a Surly ring on a 1x7 bike and so far is good but it is harder to tell on a geared system than on a SS/FG. If you are really spendy the Super Zen chainrings are nice, haven't had a chance to own one but the Gigas cog is coated the same and I think it makes a difference.

This should give you a good start. For some reason I felt like writing up a big response so you got lucky today.
Old 03-17-17, 06:03 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
Anybody interested in some side conversation about San Jose...meaning the bike?

OP - in case you don't already know, you might be interested to learn that it was one of the "100% Chick Designed" bikes from Sky Yaeger and cost only about $600 complete with Cane Creek Brakes/Levers, Sugino Crankset, & WTB tires on Alex wheels.

I only know all this because I seriously considered getting one against the Redline 925 that I ended up with and wrote about in the other guy's thread that, ironically, just mentioned those in the past couple days. Ahhhh...the good ol' days
Old 03-17-17, 09:54 AM
eduhat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you much for your replies, it's given me lots go lookup. I must say that I will likely be thrashing around the downtown area when I can. I just need the bike to take some abuse. For example, one night after critical mass and a few beverages I ended up riding down a 10 stair (didn't jump it)... was fun I must say. If this bike can take stuff like that, I'm good to go. That's one reason I bought this bike, so I can fit some fatter tires and not worry about that so much.

I've done a bit more research on my own and I've found a few other parts that I'd like your suggestions on:

I saw the Sugino RD2 crankset, so I'll likely be going with that. I like the Sram S-300 but didn't like the fact I couldn't change the chainring. I'm seeing that in order to keep the 42mm chainline I'll need a 103mm BB? Thinking the Shimarno UN55 BB Square Taper.

Wheels - Aside from your suggestions, I was told that the Sun CR18 wheels laced to Forumla hubs from Velomine were doing a good job taking a beating. What do you think? They come with hubs and wheels and I can have them spaced to the required 130mm for the rear end

Freewheel, I'm going with the White Industries for sure. Not going to worry about a fixed cog and lock ring at this point, I'd rather save the money for now.

For the stem, I'd like to get a shorter stem with some nice riser bars, may some FGFS style. I'm thinking this will allow me to sit up rather than bent over forward, a little more comfortable. I'll just need to figure out what I'm doing for brakes, pedals and tires and I'm good to go!

As for side conversation, let's do it! I read that the bike is a great commuter with large tire clearances which sounds like just what I need. I was torn between it and getting something more FGFS oriented like the Volume Thrasher or Cutter, but didn't want to be on trick only style frame for the longer 20-30 mile rides.

Let me know what you all think of the SJ and my build ideas!
Old 03-17-17, 10:47 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by eduhat
I must say that I will likely be thrashing around the downtown area when I can. I just need the bike to take some abuse. For example, one night after critical mass and a few beverages I ended up riding down a 10 stair (didn't jump it)... was fun I must say. If this bike can take stuff like that, I'm good to go.
Thrashing about is part of the joy for some of us. I fully support your desire to perform bike shenanigans. Build what you need so you can ride like you like to.
Old 03-17-17, 12:36 PM
seedubs1

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lol.....I bought the full built 58cm San Jose off ebay. I think you bought the frame I made an offer on. Guy wouldn't end his auction early on a BIN, so I bought the complete another guy was selling. Glad we didn't end up in a bidding war. Should be a fun bike.

Mine will also be a beater/thrasher. It'll be getting BWW Mavic a319's when I get a bit of change scrounged up to swap the stock wheels.
Old 03-17-17, 01:03 PM
eduhat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lol dude that was me, small world. Yah know I was thinking someone from here was likely going to pick up that I got it on ebay. Cheers to that!

I didn't have the flow for the built one so I figured I'd build it up piece by piece, just need to get my parts list in order.
Old 03-17-17, 02:43 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
CR18 option from Velomine should be good. I have built multiple wheels using those rims, never had a problem.
Old 03-17-17, 07:58 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Thank you much for your replies, it's given me lots go lookup. I must say that I will likely be thrashing around the downtown area when I can. I just need the bike to take some abuse. For example, one night after critical mass and a few beverages I ended up riding down a 10 stair (didn't jump it)... was fun I must say. If this bike can take stuff like that, I'm good to go. That's one reason I bought this bike, so I can fit some fatter tires and not worry about that so much.

I've done a bit more research on my own and I've found a few other parts that I'd like your suggestions on:

I saw the Sugino RD2 crankset, so I'll likely be going with that. I like the Sram S-300 but didn't like the fact I couldn't change the chainring. I'm seeing that in order to keep the 42mm chainline I'll need a 103mm BB? Thinking the Shimarno UN55 BB Square Taper.

Wheels - Aside from your suggestions, I was told that the Sun CR18 wheels laced to Forumla hubs from Velomine were doing a good job taking a beating. What do you think? They come with hubs and wheels and I can have them spaced to the required 130mm for the rear end

Freewheel, I'm going with the White Industries for sure. Not going to worry about a fixed cog and lock ring at this point, I'd rather save the money for now.

For the stem, I'd like to get a shorter stem with some nice riser bars, may some FGFS style. I'm thinking this will allow me to sit up rather than bent over forward, a little more comfortable. I'll just need to figure out what I'm doing for brakes, pedals and tires and I'm good to go!

As for side conversation, let's do it! I read that the bike is a great commuter with large tire clearances which sounds like just what I need. I was torn between it and getting something more FGFS oriented like the Volume Thrasher or Cutter, but didn't want to be on trick only style frame for the longer 20-30 mile rides.

Let me know what you all think of the SJ and my build ideas!
Sugino makes great cranks (a little biased as I have 3 of them) The RD2 is cheap but a solid option. 103 is the correct BB though I haven't seen a UN-55 in that length. Sugino, IRD, Tange Seiki, Phil Wood, all make solid options for that size.

The SRAM cranks you are interested in do have removable chainrings (like most cranks I have seen) but use their sucky GXP BB and aren't that great in the looks department.

I have been happy with my TRP Revox brakes but you could go with a V-Brake (linear pull if not Shimano) like the Deore T610 which are also solid performers. Just make sure you have the correct lever pull (long or short) and if you go cheaper on the brakes, get really nice pads and it will improve things quite a bit.
Old 03-17-17, 08:56 PM
Identity Crisis
Nothing Short of Thankful

Bikes: '12 Raleigh Furley, '08 KHS Flite 900, '06 Bianchi San Jose (RIP), '04 Fuji World

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As for side conversation, let's do it!
I have nothing constructive to offer but I can reminisce!

I bought the SJ fully built and rode it for close to 6 years before a Lincoln Town Car had its way with it. Great bike! All I did was swap out the rear wheel and hub with whatever flip-flop wheel was available at the LBS and put a surly cog on it. The stock saddle wasn't my style so I went with a Brooks.

That bike was bulletproof (not Lincoln proof) and was my daily commuter from the day I bought it til the day I lost it. It was also my goto bike for social rides of 40 miles or less.

Despite my minor changes the stock configuration suited me fine. The frame was stretched out just right and I truly miss it every day.
Old 03-20-17, 01:33 PM
eduhat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, good news! So far, this is what I've got:

Sun CR18 Black Wheelset 36H
Sugino Single Speed 165mm 130mm BCD Crank Arm
Sugino 130mm 1/2"x 1/8" 5-Bolt Chainring
KMC K710 Kool Chain: 1/8" 112 Links Silver/Black
Sugino 103mm Cartridge Bottom Bracket

I still need to get a freewheel, brakes and tires/tubes as far as online goes. I'll probably get a stem, bars and grips local. Since everything is black except for the chain, I'm thinking getting silver stem/bars with black grips to match.

For tires, I'm thinking of the Kenda K193 kwest tires in 32-35c so I can do all these fun bike shenanigans that I'm wanting to do.

Last edited by eduhat; 03-20-17 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Purchased something
Old 03-21-17, 02:49 PM
Ajkollme

Bikes: SuperSix, Nature Boy, Mattioli R1, Burley Tandem

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Regarding brakes, I have had great luck with mini v brakes.

Paul minimotos if you feel like spending a little money, or TRP cx8.4 or cx9 if you are on more of a budget. As veganbikes said, make sure you get the correct short pull or long pull brakes depending on the levers you end up using.
Old 03-21-17, 03:46 PM
eduhat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I still need to look into the whole brakes thing. As far as canti vs direct pull, what the real difference? I won't be doing any CX style riding, mostly urban (I live in Miami).

Good news though! I picked up tires and a freewheel. For the freewheel I got the IRD which seems to be highly suggested. As for the tires, I went with the Continental Grand Prix 4000 S II.

I'm excited to say the least!! Now onto stem, bars, grips, brakes, seatpost and seat. I thought I was almost done!! Hopefully you guys will tell me I'm past the hardest part lol
Old 03-28-17, 03:47 PM
eduhat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Making progress. Got my bottom bracket in today too!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bianchi-2.jpg (93.8 KB, 226 views)
Old 03-28-17, 03:54 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Tires need a little air.
Old 03-28-17, 04:05 PM
eduhat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heh, just a little. They needed to be put on the wheel as well at that point. I'm heading to the LBS today to look at some stems, bars, pedals, seat post and seat. While I'm there I also need to get the bolts that hold the crank arms onto the BB and the chainring bolts. I also found out I need special tools to put the bottom bracket in. I may also need to trim the fork tube. Still have work to do! Hopefully I'll have it ready for critical mass on Friday!!
Old 03-28-17, 06:40 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Always bound to be a few surprises like that when building a bike. Good luck!
Old 03-29-17, 05:01 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
Oh s**t - wish you'd mentioned being in Miami sooner...

I am in Ft Laudy myself & not unfamiliar with bicycling down that way, in fact one of my better biking buddies works in one of the racer-boy type shops in Miami-Dade. If it is not too late...just a heads up - Bike Nerds is the single best FG/SS-oriented LBS in your locale! Even my friend who works in a different shop goes there with his fixed bike.

I've got a decent bicycle tool box, a bike stand, a bit of bike mech knowledge/expertise, & a lot of spare time - so if you don't mind heading up this way feel free to call on me if I can be of any assistance. And if you don't mind being held back by a slow, older codger - I am also available as a ride companion

Otherwise, good luck and enjoy your bike...
Old 03-29-17, 08:48 AM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
A pity Bianchi stopped producing it.

I'd love to see it brought back as a SS adventure/gravel road bike.
Old 03-31-17, 11:48 AM
hay
tumbleweed

Bikes: stumpy,bianchi,Wabi classic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Got an update for us eduhat?
I grabbed a S.J. from a pawn shop for 80 bucks about a month back . Put new tires,a seat and some bars and platforms on .
Great bike, Im happy for you.
Old 04-03-17, 10:57 AM
eduhat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey hay, yea you got a kickin deal man. I don't even want to know how much I am in the hole right now
The only thing I've got left is the stem, bars and grips. I've got all other parts installed except for breaks. Went to 2 bike shops over the weekend and they didn't have anything that I liked that would work so I'm hoping to goto another today that'll have a stem/bar combo I like. It looks like I'll be going with a BMX style stem so I can put on some short riser bars with a cross bar!

I'll get a picture upload ASAP.
Old 04-06-17, 10:42 AM
eduhat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IAmSam
Oh s**t - wish you'd mentioned being in Miami sooner...

I am in Ft Laudy myself & not unfamiliar with bicycling down that way, in fact one of my better biking buddies works in one of the racer-boy type shops in Miami-Dade. If it is not too late...just a heads up - Bike Nerds is the single best FG/SS-oriented LBS in your locale! Even my friend who works in a different shop goes there with his fixed bike.

I've got a decent bicycle tool box, a bike stand, a bit of bike mech knowledge/expertise, & a lot of spare time - so if you don't mind heading up this way feel free to call on me if I can be of any assistance. And if you don't mind being held back by a slow, older codger - I am also available as a ride companion

Otherwise, good luck and enjoy your bike...
Dude, that's awesome! Do you ever come down to Miami for any rides? If you goto "w w w . themiamibikescene . c o m" you can get some information on the rides we have. Taco Tuesday is an awesome one for me. Great group of guys and always a great time. Be ready to ride and drink some beer though!
Old 04-06-17, 10:42 AM
eduhat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So guys, I have great news. My bike is completed!! So far I've only got the front brake installed so I could actually ride it. I'll get my rears on by the weekend hopefully.

I am having an issue with the headset not wanting to tighten correctly. I can't seem to find the sweet spot between the headset being tight and the steerer tube not wanting to turn. I took the bearings off of the top and everything looks good there, not so sure on the bottom. The headset came with the frameset as purchased, cups were already pressed into the frame. Let me know if you guys have any ideas.

Check out the pics, let me know what you think!!

Bianchi San Jose - Album on Imgur

I know I know, drive line on the opposite side, I'm still getting used to this!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.