Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Suntour Superbe Pro Cranks Offset

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-20, 10:26 PM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts

We swapped out a set of Suntour Superbe cranks for Superbe Pro.
We wanted to go from 170 mm to 175 mm so we can climb without knee and back pain as I am 6 feet tall. We could not find any Superbe cranks in 175 but some Superbe Pro cranks in 175 magically appeared on evilbay after prayer and meditation for weeks. Price was 65 in mint condition, free shipping. We are sorry if you were the one who got out bid at the last second, I really hate doing that.

We used the Superbe bracket,did not install a Superbe Pro bracket, hoping everything would be fine.

The taper to spindle matchup of the Pro cranks on the Superbe spindle was fine.
But we have more clearance now between the right crank to seat stay than the left crank to seat stay as seen in the pic.

The chainrings do not look like they have much room to move inward without rubbing the frame, so the right hand crank offset seems normal.

Perhaps the Superbe Pro Spindle has more meat on the left side to make the left hand crank offset equal?

The Superbe spindle installed now is a 68 mm Shell and 116 in length.

So the question is would installing a Superbe Pro spindle even out the offset?

The bike rides fine, I can not tell that the cranks are offset a bit, but who knows what the long term effects might be.

BTW spindle angle seems to be about 2.6 degrees which seems unique.

Thanks fo any help!

Last edited by cjenrick; 09-23-20 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-24-20, 07:26 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
This amount of differing crank/stay clearance is pretty common back in the day. Very few riders will notice this when pedaling, very few. So how's the chainline and chainring/stay clearance? Those are more important. Andy
Old 09-24-20, 09:00 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Is that crank arm bent or is it camera lens? Are both crank arms on tight?
Old 09-24-20, 09:50 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,917 Times in 2,548 Posts
Yeah, as Andrew said, that was very common then. In fact I think I ever owned a bke with symmetrical cranks until recent years and I started using Shimano BBs. (My knees suffer from with high Q so those BBs have been coming off and I've been replacing them with asymmetrical BBs to achieve what you have.)

If that were my bike, I wouldn't change anything. Your setup looks sweet! (But if you don't like it, send it my way!)

Ben
Old 09-24-20, 06:27 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Is that crank arm bent or is it camera lens? Are both crank arms on tight?

It looks like two shots "blended" together. So both lens and viewing angle changes. Andy
Old 09-24-20, 11:13 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
I was just reading an old (late 90s) Rivendell Reader where they were selling NOS Superbe Pro cranksets that they'd found some stash of somewhere. The only two BBs that work right were the Superbe Pro that went with 'em, or a Phil Wood. Obviously, neither will be cheap... If you wanna change it, I'd get the Phil.

--Shannon
Old 09-25-20, 01:47 AM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
Thanks folks! I will ride this thing until I need a new bottom bracket and then try for a Superbe Pro.

Yes, those are two photos side by side.

The chain line is the same as the old cranks so I think we will just ride it.

SR Maxima, use to have this bike a long time ago and it rode like magic, it was stolen, been missing it ever since, so I finally replaced it and am happy to ride it every day!

That is a 50T SR chainring which is all I can handle these days!

Last edited by cjenrick; 09-25-20 at 01:51 AM.