Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Feeling some vibration on stem and dropbar

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-20, 12:22 AM
iamLefty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts

I feel some vibration on the stem and dropbar when i lift the front wheel and rotate it. Is this a headset or hub issue? Two weeks ago, i had the hubs repacked and last week i took it out for some laps. I noticed the vibration when i wiped the tires after cleaning. I checked the front wheel for some play and moved it side to side, seems there's no play at all. I noticed some grease was leaking out of the front hub, i just wiped it off. I also checked the headset for play and moved the bike back and forth, there is also no play. I notice though that if i hold the bike by the saddle and move forward, the bike easily steers left or right on its own, so i hold it by stem instead. Does this mean top cap needs a little more tightening even though there is no play at all? When i ride and do no hands though, it keeps straight.

Just to add. I had the hubs repacked coz i noticed, after replacing the inner tube, the front wheel doesn't seem to run smooth. It feels there's some roughness when i rotated the axle. But there's no play though.

Last edited by iamLefty; 10-16-20 at 12:32 AM.
Old 10-16-20, 02:06 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Nothing to worry about.
The wheel is secure with no play and no binding?

​​​​

Last edited by blamester; 10-16-20 at 07:51 AM.
Old 10-16-20, 02:13 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
If you felt that the wheel had some roughness, it could mean wear on the hub bearings. Packing with grease would not fix that, but it might increase the drag in the hub bearings and so cause the wheel to more readily steer left or right when you push the bike from the saddle.

trev
Old 10-16-20, 02:25 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
That's caused because the wheel bearings have some pitting that causes some roughness when spinning.You should check the cones and replace them if they have significant pitting.

Anyway, I have a bike that does this and have not fixed it for years as I only use it as a urban bike and have been planning to put a dynamo hub on it anyway. No issues so far. The wheel probably has more drag than it should, but I'm not able to notice anything when riding.
Old 10-16-20, 07:46 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Ditto the pitted cones.
Old 10-16-20, 03:31 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Amt0571
That's caused because the wheel bearings have some pitting that causes some roughness when spinning.You should check the cones and replace them if they have significant pitting.

Anyway, I have a bike that does this and have not fixed it for years as I only use it as a urban bike and have been planning to put a dynamo hub on it anyway. No issues so far. The wheel probably has more drag than it should, but I'm not able to notice anything when riding.
Too-tight cone adjustment will also result in a rough or notchy feel.
Edit: This can be caused by by an adjustment which feels perfect on the bench but then becomes too tight when the axle is compressed by a quick release, tightening the adjustment. An axle vise like this allows adjustment while the QR is engaged, avoiding this issue: https://www.steintool.com/portfolio-...ub-axle-vises/

Last edited by dsbrantjr; 10-16-20 at 04:45 PM.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 10-16-20, 04:23 PM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Too-tight cone adjustment will also result in a rough or notchy feel.
True. You're totally right.
Old 10-16-20, 04:41 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Don't think anything of the front wheel flopping left or right as you push it around while off the bike. Some bikes do and some bike don't many are in between. That has some to do with trail, angle of headset and other stuff. Now if you ever push it and it starts acting like that particular bike has never done before, then it might be asking for you to look at something.

As for the vibration, too tight a cone bearings can cause that, but I find it hard to detect once the wheel is installed. And I'd think that if you are feeling that on the bike, then the races are toast already.

The common source I've had with vibration is brake pads scrubbing. Both with disc and caliper rim brakes. More so with rim brakes as I keep my pads pretty close to the rim and any little bit of the wheel being out of true will be noticed with a little drag and vibration. At least that is what I've experienced.
Old 10-17-20, 02:55 AM
iamLefty

Originally Posted by blamester
Nothing to worry about.
The wheel is secure with no play and no binding?

​​​​
There is no play on the wheel. I checked the headset. It seems there's a tiny bit of play. I'll try and tighten it a fraction and see if that solves the vibration.

Edit: Thoroughly checked for play on headset, there's none. I opened the quick release, mechanic closed it too tight. I adjusted it, spun the wheel, seems there's now only very little of the vibration, and none when wheel is spinning fast. I'll try it out for a spin tomorrow.

Last edited by iamLefty; 10-17-20 at 04:55 AM.
Old 10-17-20, 03:05 AM
iamLefty

So it's still safe to ride? These are still stock wheels, been using the bike for almost two years and plan to get new wheels soon anyway. Bike mechanic said hub bearings are ok when i asked him if they need replacing.
Old 10-17-20, 04:33 AM
Amt0571

Originally Posted by iamLefty
So it's still safe to ride? These are still stock wheels, been using the bike for almost two years and plan to get new wheels soon anyway. Bike mechanic said hub bearings are ok when i asked him if they need replacing.
Is they're OK, they may be too tight then.

In any case, it should be safe to ride. It's just that the wheel won't spin as smooth as it should and bearing life will be shorter.
Old 10-17-20, 05:00 AM
iamLefty

Is they're OK, they may be too tight then.

In any case, it should be safe to ride. It's just that the wheel won't spin as smooth as it should and bearing life will be shorter.
Great then. I'll take it out for a spin tomorrow. There's now less vibration, just a tiny bit after i adjusted the quick release, and none when wheel spins fast. Mechanic had it too tight.
Old 10-19-20, 12:06 AM
Amt0571

Originally Posted by iamLefty
Great then. I'll take it out for a spin tomorrow. There's now less vibration, just a tiny bit after i adjusted the quick release, and none when wheel spins fast. Mechanic had it too tight.
The QR affects the preloading of the bearings. When adjusting the cones, you always have to leave them slightly loose to account for the additional load caused by the QR. It's a bit tricky to do it well.

Don't ride with a loose QR as it's dangerous. Adjust the cones correctly instead.