Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Zefal pump repair

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Zefal pump repair

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-20, 11:24 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Zefal pump repair

I have a vintage Zefal frame pump that came with my ‘73 Follis when I bought it. Problem is it doesn’t push any air, can they be repaired ? Neat looking pump, I’d like to get it working again.
Old 10-19-20, 11:34 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
I have a vintage Zefal frame pump that came with my ‘73 Follis when I bought it. Problem is it doesn’t push any air, can they be repaired ? Neat looking pump, I’d like to get it working again.
If it uses a leather seal is is relatively easy to repair. It the seal is plastic or flexible rubber you might be able to jury rig something. If rubber, you could convert it to leather. I have seen it seen it done on vintage airguns.

These folks may have something or at least info. https://www.yellowjersey.org/pumpbits.html
Old 10-20-20, 08:12 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Before looking for replacement parts try taking the pump apart, clean inside the pump, clean and regrease the seal and give it a try. If no luck, Zefal spares here. Find what you need and do a search for the part or ask your LBS. Pumps - ZEFAL Also a little more info would help. What model, pics?
Old 10-21-20, 10:24 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
Zefal pumps can be rebuilt. It is one of the things that I like about them. As @Crankycrank mentions there is a rebuild kit. Google "Zefal Rebuild Kit" and you will find many.

Here is one from Walmart Zefal Rebuild Kit

If you want to get the pump head off, you will need a straight bladed screwdriver long enough to get all the way down the into the pump cylinder, once the plunger has been removed, of course.

Some of us have even removed dents from the pump body. And you actually should not need to get the pump head off so forget about that long screw driver. Man, was I dreadful!!! Sorry, too much information and then not the right information! Hopefully the edit helped.

EDIT: the kit listed above may be for a floor pump. Google "Zefal HPX rebuild kit".

This one is from ModernBike and looks more like it: Zefal rebuild kit

Also putting a little Vasoline or light grease on the plunger can help get a better seal.

Last edited by Velo Mule; 10-21-20 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Incorrect information
Old 10-21-20, 11:05 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
My LBS had a spare leather seal available and it works again ! Doesn’t pump at the volume of a more modern pump but it is indeed working😊