Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Looking to purchase a used Road Bike...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-13, 02:12 PM
Lsudreamer

Bikes: Del Sol LXi 7.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am looking to buy a used road bike. I am guessing my size is about a 56cm (I am right at 6 ft tall.) I know very little about components and parts and brands and feel guilty about wasting someone's time in a LBS to then turn around and not buy the $2k bike from them. Financially we are just not in a place to spend that kind of money right now, but I was hoping I could find something reasonably priced with decent components to get me started since I am just beginning to cycle and want something that I could use to improve my time when I do triathlons. *I am currently using a hybrid, but would like some more speed.*

I found this on Craigslist... and not knowing anything about what are good vs bad components as a beginner. Any thoughts on this bike?

https://houston.craigslist.org/bik/4028482373.html

https://houston.craigslist.org/bik/4007214629.html
Old 08-30-13, 02:31 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor, Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 58 Posts
Go to the LBS to get sized. They will have wasted more time for less. You might return at some date in the future when you want to upgrade and you think fondly back to their assistance.

I don't know either of those bikes and the photos aren't good enough for me to see the components.
Old 08-30-13, 02:58 PM
JamesInSJ

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ +1 I went to about 5 different LBS with virtually no intention of buying, but two of those shops have since got ~$100 each from me in various accessories and purchases, as well as plenty of good word-of-mouth for doing right by me. Get your sizing right, try out a few different brands so you can see how the different frames feel. Also, like the other reply, I don't know either of the brands either and am not sure the white/purple bike isn't a women's frame which likely has a shorter top tube and wouldn't work for a 6' tall man.
Old 08-30-13, 03:30 PM
mshred
It do, but it don't.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you looking for a time trial/tri bike only, or a proper road bike?

either way, going used is a great option. With a little diligence and patience, you should be able to find something that meets your needs...assuming you know what your needs are.
Old 08-30-13, 04:07 PM
LexKing

Bikes: Jamis Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At your size you could go either a 56cm or 58cm depending on your leg length / inseam. I agree with the others on trying out your LBS for size and bike type. Just ride them all to decide what type riding that you are interested in and keep an eye on Craigs List. Since this is a holiday weekend, there will be a lot of yard sales and you may find a prime used bike at one of these as well. Good luck with your bike search.
Old 08-30-13, 04:25 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I'm 6'1" and ride a 58 cm frame. If you get a frame that's a little too small, you can make it work (that's easier than a frame that's a little too big) but a bike that fits you well is a lot more important than the right components.

If it's at all possible, do a long test ride, even if it means leaving some sort of collateral behind. A lot of fitment problems don't show up until 40 or 50 miles into a ride, and then they're bloody hell.

Also, the season is changing. If you read this forum a lot you'll notice most people won't ride bikes when it's colder than 70 F or looks like it might rain. And that's what's coming. So this is the best time of year to buy a bike.

If you're just getting into cycling, don't worry too much about components. Better ones are better, but they don't affect your speed or comfort, and it takes some time in the saddle before the differences between different group sets will make themselves felt.
Old 08-30-13, 04:26 PM
BaseGuy

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale CAAD10; 1987 Cannondale R400/600; 1997 Specialized Rockhopper Homemade Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I disagree. Don't waste the LBS's time unless you tell them "I plan to buy a bike off CraigsList and need to know what size I need." If they want to throw you a bone, they will. Otherwise, it's unethical.

Yes, 56 is probably right, but a 54 or a 58 might work, too. Just don't spend a ton of money. If you buy well, you can sell for the same money six months or a year later.

And don't forget garage sales, especially in an area/neighborhood near a greenway or where there is lots of cycling. My first road bike was a great, used Cannondale for $85.

Just bring a helmet and a pump, air up the tires, and take a test ride. If it feels good, it is good.
Old 08-30-13, 05:16 PM
Bikedud
Sapient

Bikes: Just a bunch of bikes.

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
On a modern compact or semi-compact frame, you more than likely will ride a large frame, maybe a M/L (Giant) depending on your torso and inseam length. Quality entry level road bikes from any of the major manufacturers are $600-$750. It's also the time of year that many shops put 2013 models on sale for 15-20% off the regular price. If that's too much for your budget, then used is a great option. If you came in our shop, I'd be glad to let you try out some frame sizes and give them a test ride. Even if you buy a bike somewhere else, we want your accessory, maintenance, and repair business and we'll work hard to get it. Some shops even have quality used bikes for sale that are an excellent value. We occasionally have good used bikes in the $300 - $500 range that were traded in on new rides. If you do find a shop you like, when you buy your used bike take it to them and get them to check it out, make any adjustments or upgrades that might be needed, and get you a helmet- good luck.
Old 08-30-13, 05:27 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,579 Posts
I would try whatever you can get your hands on, and be aware that your setup preferences may change as you adapt to the road bike posture. Depending on your proportions, you may even like a ~60cm frame.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-30-13, 07:31 PM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
Google "bike fit calculator" and go to it.
I would be leery of a brand new used bike for $200.
And for the first one you listed, lifetime tuneups are not usually transferrable!
Old 08-30-13, 09:07 PM
GT2R
My Hammy

Bikes: Moots Compact SL, Trek 830, Cannondale SR400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Establish a relationship with a LBS. Patronize them when feasible even if the internet is a few dollars cheaper. When you need them they will still be there.

If price is an issue, buy used and do your research on fit or pay for this service as it is the most important aspect of cycling.
Old 08-31-13, 06:19 AM
erief0g

Bikes: 2012 Trek 2.1C Apex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 5' 11.5" At time of bike purchase I weighed 240. My inseam measured with a "book in crotch" standing next to a wall and measured is 34". That was with three measurements averaged. I was fitted at my trek store for a 58 and even though I'm very new to this sport (take my statements with noobie pride) I must say the bike feels great.

Don't be afraid to hit the LBS as you will find one that has a friendlier staff or seems to carry things you like. Even if you buy a bike somewhere else you may still need a brick and mortar store to help you with things. The store I use is very friendly and they don't judge anyone by what brand they ride or where they bought their bike. They only sell new and they only sell trek. Their service dept. has plenty of makes there everyday.

Plus, if you tell them your financial situation (as I did) they may offer you a great deal on a 2012 that's leftover just before the 2014's come out.. as they did with me.
Old 08-31-13, 11:46 AM
Lsudreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I first started looking, I was stalking CL for something in the 54-58cm range and could find nothing. Of course that was right before summer when everyone was looking for a bike (my guess). Im in Texas so riding here continues for a while since we are still in the 80s in October sometimes. I have several local bike shops but they carry only one or two brands each. Some have sales going on now...

I have no idea what to look for in a good road bike. For me personally, it needs to be able to handle tri racing (im just looking to finish-not place). I would also like to ride along with my kids and husband when they ride as well but that is secondary since we have a spare cruiser bike I can use. I want to be able to ride *and keep up with* the local groups. While my hybrid will go the distance, it will not keep the speed needed for some of those speedsters.

My Craigslist stalking continues... the bike budget is very small at this point. *Husband isn't convinced I am gonna stick with this yet.*
Old 09-02-13, 04:02 PM
Lsudreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Went by a local shop today and was put on a 58cm on a trainer and it felt good. It was a $2000 Trek *which is WAY out of budget even on sale*! So now I am back to searching CL again for something in the $300-500 range. Any opinions about this one?

https://houston.craigslist.org/bik/3998427934.html
Old 09-02-13, 04:07 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 624 Posts
Originally Posted by Lsudreamer
Went by a local shop today and was put on a 58cm on a trainer and it felt good. It was a $2000 Trek *which is WAY out of budget even on sale*! So now I am back to searching CL again for something in the $300-500 range. Any opinions about this one?

Appears to be a good deal to me.

Old 09-02-13, 05:29 PM
Cyclelogikal
An Average Joe

Bikes: '13 Orbea Orca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If your new to the game go to your LBS to get the personal attention you need as a newbie. As you learn and what to look for you start to buy used at times because you know what to look for and spot any BS between the lines.
Old 09-02-13, 05:49 PM
seymour1910

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
you will probably feel good on a 58 in some frames but 56 on others. I am 6' and ride a 56cm Cannondale. Being a 6' female, are you more legs than torso?
I hope that doesn't sound offensive, but I asked because a lot of women that tall have really long legs. I can ride a 58 with a shorter stem, but the 56 feels right at home for me.
Old 09-02-13, 05:58 PM
copswithguns
Texas Tornado

Bikes: '14 Specialized Roubaix SL 4 Full Ultegra 6800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 6'0" and use a 56cm frame, it's all about what's comfortable for you. In your position, I don't think you'll be getting beat up too badly if a used $200 bike doesn't pan out. You'll probably like it a lot and eventually upgrade to something much better. I say go for it.
Old 09-02-13, 06:03 PM
JamesInSJ

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lsudreamer

Go for it! Funny, as when I read you post I was thinking a 2-3 year old Trek 1.1 or 1.2 would probably be perfect to get you going, and a 1.2 is exactly what I found in the Craigslist link. You might be able to talk another $50-100 off the price, depending on condition and age. Pre-2011, maybe 2010, should definitely save another $50-100. While people typically think when they sell that "hey, it's got Shimano 105", every year or two technology trickles down from Shimano, so last year's 105 are no better than this year's Tiagra. w

The 2010/11 year models (and more recent) have the same frame geometry as a Trek Madone, which is probably what you tried at the LBS (guessing they had a 3.1 or 4.x for that price). So a 58cm in the store will be almost identical to this 1.2 at 58cm...this one is probably just a tad lower standover height but overall riding position will be very similar.
Old 09-02-13, 06:12 PM
seymour1910

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
here is the bluebook on that Trek you linked to on CL https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/searc....aspx?id=19909
Old 09-02-13, 07:43 PM
Lsudreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I wasnt fast enough... he sold it today. Back to the drawing board. Thanks for the help though! Now I am at least have some sort of direction. And yes the one I tried out today was the Trek Madone.
Old 09-09-13, 03:03 PM
Lsudreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the bluebook link... I didn't know that existed!
Old 09-09-13, 03:52 PM
copswithguns
Texas Tornado

Bikes: '14 Specialized Roubaix SL 4 Full Ultegra 6800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FWIW I have a 56cm Allez. I'm just a smidge under 6'1" and it's comfortable for me. Others here have a similar height and also enjoy a ~56cm frame.
Old 09-18-13, 03:06 PM
Lsudreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Opinions?

https://houston.craigslist.org/bik/4074569566.html
Old 09-18-13, 03:23 PM
Long Tom

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Too big, and strikes me as from an odd era in the carbon dating (haha).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.