Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Jim Gregory built long cargo bike

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-21, 10:24 PM
greggk34

Bikes: Santa Cruz 5010, Cannondale Synapse, Colnago Master-X-Light, Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Hello All,

I hope this isn't against the rules, mods, if it is please remove.

I work for a Bay Area non-profit and we recently received a Jim Gregory (www.bikesatwork.com) built super long cargo bike as a donation. Part of keeping our non-profit going is that we sell some of the nicer bikes to help fund the org and the money from the bikes sold help pay for things like rent, parts, accessories, etc....

The issue I am finding is that this bike is so unique, it is hard to gauge what we should ask for it. Overall condition is a solid good, no better, no worse.

Bike description is:
The bike was used to haul two big dogs for local parades but it has many uses. The cargo area currently has a 54 gallon Rubbermaid bin securely anchored to it. It is rigged for lights.

With about a 9 foot wheelbase, this bike can be a handful to steer, so it is definitely designed for the enthusiast type of rider. It has a steel frame and fork, 26" tires, front and rear disc brakes and a Shimano 3x9 drivetrain with SRAM twist shifters. The bike has a unique spring-loaded centerstand to help stabilize the cargo area during loading and unloading.

Component highlights include: Sun Rhyno Lite rims, Deore hubs, Avid mechanical hydraulic disc brakes, Shimano cranks, XT rear derailleur, Brooks leather saddle, front and rear fenders and plenty of tread left on the tires.

Cargo capacity is up to 150 lbs easy, but the bike has been known to carry about 250 lbs for short distances. The frame is part-able with pinch bolts on the cargo bay tubing.

What do you guys think? We have posted a local CL ad for it starting it at $1150 (which means about $1050 to the org, since we have to charge tax).

Am I totally off? Close? Thanks for any input.

Sorry, but I don't have enough bikeforums credits to post a pic or URL.
Old 03-18-21, 07:36 PM
greggk34

Bikes: Santa Cruz 5010, Cannondale Synapse, Colnago Master-X-Light, Surly Cross Check

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
We also have recently received a Bakfiets that is pretty nice as well.
Old 03-25-21, 10:33 AM
brianinc-ville

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
It's hard to say since, as you mention, it's a fairly unique bike. My mostly-unsupported guess is that $1150 is a little bit high. A high percentage of the people who want cargo bikes want them for their kids, but it sounds like this bike doesn't have any of the kid accessories (bench seat w/ 5-point harness, rain canopy, etc.) and modifying it with bespoke accessories would get expensive and time-consuming really fast, quickly approaching the $2000-plus for a brand new Bakfiets or similar that's made for the purpose. The pool of people who'd want it for non-living cargo is quite a bit smaller. Based on what I was seeing when I was shopping for used cargo bikes a few years ago, I'd guess (again, guess) that it'll sell relatively fast for $800 or so, but you might wait a while at $1150. But then, that was before the pandemic. Demand might be higher now.
Old 03-25-21, 10:40 AM
greggk34

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by brianinc-ville
It's hard to say since, as you mention, it's a fairly unique bike. My mostly-unsupported guess is that $1150 is a little bit high. A high percentage of the people who want cargo bikes want them for their kids, but it sounds like this bike doesn't have any of the kid accessories (bench seat w/ 5-point harness, rain canopy, etc.) and modifying it with bespoke accessories would get expensive and time-consuming really fast, quickly approaching the $2000-plus for a brand new Bakfiets or similar that's made for the purpose. The pool of people who'd want it for non-living cargo is quite a bit smaller. Based on what I was seeing when I was shopping for used cargo bikes a few years ago, I'd guess (again, guess) that it'll sell relatively fast for $800 or so, but you might wait a while at $1150. But then, that was before the pandemic. Demand might be higher now.
Thanks for the feedback, I will post a photo as soon as I am able. I'm not sure how much of the pandemic caused demand is still in effect. For certain categories of bikes, it is affecting it more, of course.
Old 03-25-21, 10:47 AM
greggk34

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Let me see if can post this now:

Likes For greggk34:
Old 03-27-21, 12:26 PM
brianinc-ville

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Sweet bike!
Old 04-07-21, 05:21 PM
AeroGut

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
Take the seat off and sell it separately.

The bike is probably going to take a long time to sell. If you’ve got space for it, that’s fine, but if not, I’d drop the price way down and try to move it quickly.
Old 04-20-21, 03:10 PM
greggk34

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the input, AeroGut. For sure, the Brooks Pro could sell for a bit extra. Swapping it out is an excellent idea.

We are not exactly in a hurry to sell it, but it does take up quite a bit of real estate in the shop.

I've recently lowered the price in our local marketplaces, we'll see what happens!