Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

WIDE, walkable, casual, SPD shoes

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 03-18-10, 10:36 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I was quite content wearing my Shimano sandals for most of my riding, using my old Diadora mid-tops or Sidi Dominator Megas when shoes were more appropriate. But since my arches started acting up again last year, I've had to go back to shoes with inserts. My Sidi's are too racy for day-to-day use and my Diadoras are getting pretty worn. So I've been looking for a new pair of SPD capable shoes, walkable, low-key, casual, preferably mid tops to serve the same functions as my old Diadoras. Thing is, I wear size 13 and need at least a EE width. My search has been a big fail so far.

Lake MX 156s come in a wide size and would be perfect...but nobody, even Lake has them in stock, nor any idea if they will ever be in stock. They supposedly had old reliable MX101s in stock...until I ordered them and got an email 3 days later telling me that the stock status on their web site is not "real time" and that they had canceled the order and refunded my card. None of their other shoes that come in a wide size fit my criteria.

Specialized only offers their high-end racing shoes in wide sizes.
Diadora has gone racy and narrow.
Shimano doesn't have wide sizes.

Any other ideas?
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 03-18-10, 11:13 AM
JLStout
Singlespeed Baby!

Bikes: SE Stout 29er Singlespeed, Diamondback XSL Squishy, SR Racing Singlespeed Road Bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Pearl Izumi X-Alps. The mid top ones. Very comfortable to walk in. I have wide feet too, and they fit me great.
Old 03-18-10, 11:13 AM
jewelthief
Bike me!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm as frustrated as you are trying to find a wide SPD shoe. I'll be watching this thread with great interest!
Old 03-18-10, 11:28 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JLStout
I use Pearl Izumi X-Alps. The mid top ones. Very comfortable to walk in. I have wide feet too, and they fit me great.
I've had Pearls...their regular sizes are as narrow as Shimanos.
Are you saying they offer these in wide widths? I can't seem to find any reference to wide widths on their site.

It also looks like the mid-top version is history.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

Last edited by chipcom; 03-18-10 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-18-10, 12:44 PM
vaticdart

Bikes: Giant OCR1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think they offer the EE width specifically, but Keens are known for being wide and they have a pretty nice looking casual SPD shoe:

https://www.keenfootwear.com/product/...0pedal/****ake
Old 03-18-10, 12:55 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by vaticdart
I don't think they offer the EE width specifically, but Keens are known for being wide and they have a pretty nice looking casual SPD shoe:

https://www.keenfootwear.com/product/...0pedal/****ake
The Keen cycling shoes I have tried on to date have run narrow and small, but I haven't tried on the Austins, so I guess I should.
Old 03-18-10, 12:58 PM
mikeybikes

Bikes: Tons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hear you. I'm having trouble finding some 11 EE spd compat shoes to fit my strangely shaped feet.
Old 03-18-10, 01:16 PM
RaleighComp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe the Keen Austin Pedal ? My feet are not wide, so I don't know, but I read a review on their sandals written by a wide-footed guy.
Old 03-18-10, 01:25 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RaleighComp
Maybe the Keen Austin Pedal ? My feet are not wide, so I don't know, but I read a review on their sandals written by a wide-footed guy.
from his blog entry:
So what's not to like? Uh.

Well, there's a big one here: the width! The Keen folks make the same crappy assumption that all cyclists have narrow feet. This foot bed is super narrow and they only come in one width. Errg!
Folks have emailed Keen about the possibility of coming out with a wider version...they say they can not (and will not) make the sandals wider.

I'd like to try on an Austin tho.
Old 03-18-10, 04:50 PM
Greg_R

Bikes: Surly LHT set up for commuting

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear 11.5 EE and the Specialized MTB BG Comp shoes fit very comfortably. Is there a store that might have a set for you to try on?
Old 03-18-10, 05:36 PM
vrkelley
Enjoy

Bikes: Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My husband just bought the Pearl Izumi Vagabond M4 Mountain Bike Shoe...it's pretty good. The PI men's 48 fits size 13...is nice and wide but you'll need to add a bootie.

REI stores sell them...but it appears that the catalog is out of stock.

https://www.rei.com/product/748629
Old 03-18-10, 05:55 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by vrkelley
My husband just bought the Pearl Izumi Vagabond M4 Mountain Bike Shoe...it's pretty good. The PI men's 48 fits size 13...is nice and wide but you'll need to add a bootie.

REI stores sell them...but it appears that the catalog is out of stock.

https://www.rei.com/product/748629
Had a pair of those, gave them to my narrower footed little brother.

Am I like impossible to shop for, or what?
Old 03-18-10, 07:34 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg_R
I wear 11.5 EE and the Specialized MTB BG Comp shoes fit very comfortably. Is there a store that might have a set for you to try on?
Really? I wear a size larger than normal in those and they were still narrow(took the inserts out). Maybe the half sizes are wider? They do have better arch support though.
Old 03-18-10, 08:42 PM
texasdiver

Bikes: Cannondale F2000, Co-Motion Periscope Torpedo, and many more

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have the same problem. I normally wear a 10.5 or 11 EE. I tried on every shoe in 4 stores while in Austin and finally settled on the Pearl Izumi X-Alp which I picked up at REI in a size 46. It was the widest shoe I could find of all the non-EE shoes out there. The upper isn't as supportive as I'd like. Almost like biking in sandals or running shoes. But OK for general commuting. I think the X-Alp is made on a wider last than the regular Pearls. If you haven't tried that specific model, at least try it on.
Old 03-18-10, 08:50 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
nevermind, forgot you wanted casual shoes
Old 03-18-10, 10:17 PM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
I love my Keens- use 'em pretty much every day for commuting and use them on tours as well- as the only shoe I take along with me. I have the Spring waters but I'm liking the look of the Austin's.

Granted my foot's not real wide but I'm a 12-13 size and don't like a tight fit and they're good. The downside of the Keen's is weight- they are by no means a "light" shoe. And the Spring waters are still a little stiff soled for a lot of walking. I'm hoping the Austin's have a little more flexible sole.

I'd be curious what you think of the Austin's after you try them for sizing- I'm thinking of getting some when my present Keen's wear out- if they ever do.
Old 03-19-10, 05:44 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by electrik
nevermind, forgot you wanted casual shoes
Yeah, I already have Sidi's for my fancy racer-boy shoes.
Old 03-19-10, 06:49 AM
Boudicca
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any reason you can't wear your fancy racer-boy shoes, and take a pair to change into when you get wherever you are going?
Old 03-19-10, 07:39 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Boudicca
Any reason you can't wear your fancy racer-boy shoes, and take a pair to change into when you get wherever you are going?
I could be going anywhere, lots of places, no place at all, everything in between. Don't really want to be carrying around another pair of shoes and I really don't even like wearing my racer boy shoes all that much...they are functional for roadie things, but not exactly what I would call comfy. What I am looking for is something between my beloved sandals and my racer boy shoes...you know, normal people who ride bikes and like clipless pedals, but have feet as wide as Texas shoes.
Old 03-19-10, 08:46 AM
EKW in DC

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
Specialized only offers their high-end racing shoes in wide sizes.
Diadora has gone racy and narrow.
Shimano doesn't have wide sizes.

Any other ideas?
Invent a time machine and have your own feet bound as a child.

Seriously, though, this is a good question. I still ride on platforms, and this size question is one of the main thing that's kept me from looking more into clipless (finances being the other). I'm an 11 or 11-1/2 EEEE, and seeing so many people complain about a lack of wide options in SPD-compatible casual shoes maks me think any search would be fruitless. Seems there's gotta be a way to impart upon the manufacturers that there's a real demand for this kind of product...
Old 03-19-10, 08:55 AM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
661 Filters. They're SPD compatible.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 03-19-10, 09:21 AM
MNBikeguy

Bikes: 05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No advice. In the same boat, using wonderfully comfortable Sidi's and sandals in the summer.
My 7.5 EEE feet (thanks alot dad) are following this thread closely.....
Old 03-19-10, 10:11 AM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
I just want to know who all this people with skinny feet are and why they got to be the ones that design the shoes.
Old 03-19-10, 10:31 AM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
Yeah, I already have Sidi's for my fancy racer-boy shoes.
I was going to say Lake MX235 wides... onsale for $95 over at jenson

... but they are carbon/leather race shoes and of somewhat questionable durability. :/
Old 03-19-10, 03:08 PM
dlavi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also have wide feet. I gave up on cycling shoes. I found that I was far more comfortable using flat pedals and regular shoes that fit, then riding in ill fitting shoes and using clipless pedals. My favorite flat pedals are the MKS Grip Kings that Rivendell sells.