Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How do you tell drivers your speed?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-10, 10:58 AM
vrkelley
Enjoy

Bikes: Trek 5200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

While the cars are passing, turning or waiting for you...how do the drivers perceive your velocity? Is there a way to tell drivers your speed?

So...if you're spinning 120 RPMs...do they perseive that you're going faster? Without brake lights, how do they perceive that you are slowing?
Old 03-21-10, 11:41 AM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
There are hand signals for slowing down/braking though I doubt many drivers know them anyway. Other than that different drivers may use different cues to figure out how fast you're going just like they would another car.

Because you're on a bike, they may assume you're moving slower than you are.

Why do you ask?
Old 03-21-10, 11:45 AM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
There are hand signals for slowing down/braking though I doubt many drivers know them anyway. Other than that different drivers may use different cues to figure out how fast you're going just like they would another car.

Because you're on a bike, they may assume you're moving slower than you are.

Why do you ask?
No Doubt about that. The last two riders I heard about getting run down from behind locally were signaling to make lefts and the driver tried passing them on the left as they were turning claiming the rider told them to pass by pointing left.
Old 03-21-10, 12:10 PM
vrkelley
Enjoy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The driver that Right Hooked me said she misjudged my speed. I was accelerating aggressively to begin an ascent. However, at the time she turned right into me, I was probably going about 15mph.

It's true, you can't fix Stupid, but you can proactively improve your odds if you understand 'Stupid' thinks.

EDITED: Re my original post, I was only beginning the climb @ about 75-80 RPMs.

Originally Posted by tjspiel
Why do you ask?
Old 03-21-10, 12:15 PM
vrkelley
Enjoy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right, while turning left, the arm has to be straight out for about 100' before you actually turn (not always possible). No bobbing. Also you are looking in the direction that you turn so the driver can guess your intent

Originally Posted by Grim
No Doubt about that. The last two riders I heard about getting run down from behind locally were signaling to make lefts and the driver tried passing them on the left as they were turning claiming the rider told them to pass by pointing left.
Old 03-21-10, 12:21 PM
BMWdoc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think lights are the most important ways to alert drivers. There is no real way to tell them your speed but I know for a fact that with lights on even in the daytime, drivers will wait before turning in front of you. Before I used bright lights they were more willing to turn at alot closer distances. Now from about 100 meters away they will refrain from turning or pulling out in front of me.
Old 03-21-10, 02:17 PM
M. Rhoten
n00b

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I'm turning left, I don't lock my eyes left. They should be looking up front where the danger is. I do rotate my HEAD head left to help communicate to the car behind me that that's where I'm going.
Old 03-21-10, 02:32 PM
Torrilin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vrkelley
While the cars are passing, turning or waiting for you...how do the drivers perceive your velocity? Is there a way to tell drivers your speed?

So...if you're spinning 120 RPMs...do they perseive that you're going faster? Without brake lights, how do they perceive that you are slowing?
When I drive a car (rare these days) I judge speed by how much the object changes in size over 2-3 brief glances. This actually gives me a speed *difference* between my vehicle and my sample object. Even now, after 5 years of being car-free, I am pretty accurate. A lot of that accuracy is due to hours of drill. I can still keep a car at 15 or 35 or 50 mph, without the help of a speedometer. It was something my parents insisted on as a basic driving skill that I had to have, before I was allowed to use cruise control. It takes a LOT of attention to do. (for me, it takes even more attention to drive with cruise control tho... so when I drive I do not use it)

Most drivers cannot do this kind of speed judging. This makes them very dangerous, because they have to spend much more time looking at the dash than at the road around them. Their speed is often erratic.

You don't really have a way to force other drivers to have skill and wisdom. It sucks. I don't drive partly because the lower the speed, the lower the stakes. I can't make everyone else be smart, but I can keep *my* speed down to something that is well within my abilities.
Old 03-21-10, 02:42 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
I always think it's implicit that I'm going their speed if I'm in the lane. I think they perceive that as passive-aggressive obstruction.
Old 03-21-10, 02:53 PM
mechBgon

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I sometimes use body-language cues. If someone's driving towards me and planning to turn across my path, and I want to send a cue, I can either:

1) stop pedalling and coast (go ahead and make your turn, I'm coasting down), or

2) upshift and jump out of the saddle with a pronounced rocking of the bike (I just got bigger and I'm obviously accelerating, wait for me to go by). Rocking the bike also causes the bike's lights to weave, another attention-grabbing benefit (I run lights day or night).

If pedestrians step into the crosswalk while I'm being tailed by cars, I often use the SLOWING/STOPPING arm signal in conjunction with abruptly stopping pedalling, to jog peoples' attention and send both the legal and body-language signals that I'm slowing or stopping. My current commute takes me past our county courthouse, with tons of cars parking and embarking, as well as tons of pedestrians in crosswalks, so this can be necessary on any given day.

Last edited by mechBgon; 03-21-10 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-21-10, 03:34 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I don't tell them my speed. I assume drivers just figure it out the same way they judge how fast other cars are going. Which is to say, poorly.

I think cars should have speedometers in them, to judge speeds, even better they should have GIANT leds on the top expressing their speeds for the saftey of all nearby.
Old 03-21-10, 04:00 PM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
My experience is that car drivers see a bike and just assume "slow." I see no real effort to estimate speed.
Old 03-21-10, 04:51 PM
vrkelley
Enjoy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sometimes cars pull wait and then pull right out in front to me--seeing but then misjudging my speed. Other times a car will ride along side me for several blocks presumably clocking my speed befor they actually pass and go on their way.
Old 03-21-10, 05:16 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sometimes cars pull wait and then pull right out in front to me--seeing but then misjudging my speed. Other times a car will ride along side me for several blocks presumably clocking my speed befor they actually pass and go on their way.
Yes, the longer a driver waits at an intersection the more likely they will be to perform a risky maneuver. Ergo, people feel they've waited too long for you and pull out at the very last second.
Old 03-21-10, 07:48 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Right, while turning left, the arm has to be straight out for about 100' before you actually turn (not always possible). No bobbing. Also you are looking in the direction that you turn so the driver can guess your intent
And don't point...pointing when signaling a turn can confuse drivers - are you going there or do you want me to go there? Keeping your palm open might help minimize that confusion.

As far as judging speed, you drive too, right? How well do you judge the speed of cyclists?
I think that ability is specific to the individual, some of us have no problem with it, others, not so much. IMO, my sense is that the woman you hooked you was blowing smoke either way...she didn't misjudge your speed, she expected YOU, the one riding the toy and getting in her way, to yield to her.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 03-21-10, 08:23 PM
kmac27

Bikes: MTB Agressor for now.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most motorists don't know that a bike can go much faster than 10 mph. Most are even shocked when I tell someone that I can average 20 mph on a short commute on my hybrid. Some drivers are pissed off when I keep up with them at 25 mph on the back roads. I've even had them brake agressivly because they didn't like me behind them.
Old 03-21-10, 08:49 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Without brake lights, how do they perceive that you are slowing?
Hand signal: Arm out, forearm pointed down, palm facing back.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 03-21-10, 09:19 PM
fetad
drive-by poster

Bikes: Yes(s)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm surprised this wasn't brought up yet.

Speedometer Vest
Old 03-21-10, 09:47 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fetad
I'm surprised this wasn't brought up yet.

Speedometer Vest
Depressing. As if hi-viz clothing wasn't already a badge of shame, now we have to have lights telling everybody around us out speed. Gee.
Old 03-21-10, 11:10 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
i wouldn't count on it, but steering directly towards the motorist with a 300 + lumen, flashing LED headlamp aimed at eye level is a good way to alert them of your presence in the lane, if nothing else.

won't really tell them your speed but it does give them a visible reference point that there's a vehicle approaching possessing a quite real presence on the road.

there seems to be fair compliance from motorist towards cyclists right of way reported by Northwest riders running daytime LED arrays, but of course this is never assured from a moronist. i mean a motorist.

Last edited by Bekologist; 03-21-10 at 11:15 PM.
Old 03-22-10, 07:23 AM
whitecat

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bekologist
i wouldn't count on it, but steering directly towards the motorist with a 300 + lumen, flashing LED headlamp aimed at eye level is a good way to alert them of your presence in the lane
2x P7 MTE's pointed in their way at eye level, high mode(~400 lumens each). Grabs their attention real quick. If they fail to stop when I have right of way, and try to cut me off, I switch them to strobe mode. Never fails to stop them from cuting me off. Nothing like hi powered LED lights hehe.
Old 03-22-10, 09:35 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
Hand signal: Arm out, forearm pointed down, palm facing back.
I'm guessing you were born before 1970.

(hey, me too, I'm just saying, holding up the rosetta stone and pointing to the 'stop' hieroglyph would be about as effective)
Old 03-22-10, 09:41 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts

Hold your hand down to signal a stop. Everyone seems to get it.

Drivers won't estimate your speed accurately, so don't even try. Your cadence and positioning will help them understand what you intend to do.
Old 03-22-10, 09:42 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts

Hold your hand down to signal a stop. Everyone seems to get it.

Drivers won't estimate your speed accurately, so don't even try. Your cadence and positioning will help them understand what you intend to do.
Old 03-22-10, 09:45 AM
fat_bike_nut

Bikes: 2010 Surly LHT (main rider and do-everything bike), 2011 Bike Friday NWT (back-up bike and multi-modal)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
I'm guessing you were born before 1970.

(hey, me too, I'm just saying, holding up the rosetta stone and pointing to the 'stop' hieroglyph would be about as effective)
Hey, I was born in 1984, and I use arm signals all the time whenever I ride. At least the motorists around here understand what an arm sticking straight out means.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.