Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is it OK to lie to your spouse/partner about your bike buys?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Is it OK to lie to a spouse/partner about bike buying?
Yes
19.54%
No
70.11%
Sometimes (explain)
12.64%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Is it OK to lie to your spouse/partner about your bike buys?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-17, 10:24 PM
johngwheeler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
All money is joint, we're both frugal, have zero debt, and substantial savings. There's nothing to lie about or hide.
You're well set up to avoid this problem. If it's all out in the open, then as you say, there's nowhere to hide.....

I'm in a different position - my wife is co-account holder on my credit card, so I see everything she spends, but I don't think she can see what I spend. We have separate accounts for everything else, so who knows what she does with her salary! Could well be spending it on a toy-boy for all I know......as long as she's happy
Old 09-01-17, 05:59 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by switchknee
This is a child friendly environment!!
Where do you think children come from?
Old 09-01-17, 06:53 AM
Elessar
R*dRid*r

Bikes: 1993 Diamondback Ascent EX black 22.5", 2018 Trek FX 3 Red 25"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This...

Originally Posted by WNCGoater
(Plants palm on forehead, not this stuff again...)

Why do I feel this has been inspired by the "Opposite Gender Cycling Friends" thread? And why do you seek answers to moral questions about spousal relationships on an internet forum.

If you're "feeling guilty" and need to ask the question then do you not already know the answer?
And you need to ask, "Is it okay to lie to your spouse?" ???
Old 09-01-17, 07:16 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by johngwheeler
I wrote a similar thread a few months back and had a lot of responses - many condemning my actions (secretly buying an N+1).

Firstly a matter of definition:

A lie an an active untruth or deception. A failure to disclose to a purchase is not a lie. Denying the purchase if asked *is* a lie. This should be obvious.

For my next purchase, I did tell my wife, but only a day before the new bike arrived - just in time :-) But it was a fait accompli, and she wasn't consulted. It would only have led to a "why do you need another bike?" question, and explaining that to an non-obsessive non-cyclist would be an exercise in futility - same with all my other hobbies!

To be honest, I've found it easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. It causes far less resentment - what if she said no? Providing we're not digging into common savings, neither my wife or I ever feel we need to discuss purchases, other than expensive travel plans or major purchases such as a car (and even then, it's so she can choose the colour :-).

It's great to have a partner who says "whatever makes you happy, darling"...but not all of us have these!

In any case, buying bikes is a relatively innocuous way to have your mid-life crisis. Much healthier and cheaper than a sports car and an affair with a younger woman :-)
Ask for forgiveness or not, or permission, or bargain, even hide your stuff, or all the rest that's between a person and his wife and I'm not preaching to anyone. But still arguments about finances and lies about what you spend are at the top of the list of problems people have in marriages and partnerships. It's not just wrong - it's asking for trouble down the road.

Personally I don't ask for permission nor forgiveness, nor necessarily talk it over before or after. And I do not recall ever having an argument over something I bought good times or bad. I couldn't say everyone should do it the way I do. Whatever works. But I can say, and I think this was Timothy's point, that if I DID have to lie about a purchase then that's just the reflection of a deeper problem between us, or a problem with one person or the other, and that's probably the case in general.

Obviously, traditional "lies" like wrapping gifts or hiding them is not part of this discussion.
Old 09-01-17, 07:30 AM
prq9218

Bikes: Giant Roam 2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nope, my wife is a stay at home mom, I work, she takes care of the finances. She'd notice a chunk of change and the new bike in the garage. Not that I'd lie to her anyway, I respect her too much.
Old 09-01-17, 07:41 AM
Dreaded1

Bikes: 03 Marin Bear Valley, 1999 GT ZR2000, Raleigh M80(converted to single speed), 2017 Masi Gran Corsa disc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't lie, I just didnt tell her about the new bike. We have a joint account which we both pay into and all of our bills are paid out of, I have separate accounts that have I have my spending money in. She is not active and could care less about a new bike. I just avoided the "you paid how much for a bicycle" conversation. It is no different then me paying for a volleyball or golf tournament entry fee and not telling her how much it costs.

And I am glad I did buy it because we just ended the relationship and I have a new bike I can enjoy more often now.
Old 09-01-17, 08:19 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
dude.
lot of detail there.
Old 09-01-17, 08:38 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Let's put it this way. If you lie to your spouse about something, what is she or he lying to you about?
Old 09-01-17, 08:41 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
No, it's not OK to lie.

But my wife and i subscribe to "Don't ask, don't tell". if sh asked, i'd tell her, but she already knows she doesn't want to hear what I have to say.
That's the ticket. For 35 years, my wife has been perceptive and discrete enough not to ask. And I've been considerate enough not to buy the Series 6 Emonda with Di2. (And she's supported the used Series 6 Domane with mechanical Dura Ace cuz it keeps me in better shape).
Old 09-01-17, 08:44 AM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
I see this all the time on the gun forums that I frequent too. One of the stock answers goes something to the effect of, "I sure hope that when I'm gone she doesn't sell them for what I TOLD her I paid for them".
Jon
Old 09-01-17, 08:52 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I don't lie to her but I didn't tell her that I added N+1 this year and it was delivered when I was traveling. Her reaction was "Oh, another bike?". Her only real concern is the amount of space left in the basement. She does know that I am planning on adding another bike when I retire.
Old 09-01-17, 08:55 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
lying never crosses my mind. I pay for all the bikes for her & our adult kids. she has nothing to complain about

Last edited by rumrunn6; 09-01-17 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-01-17, 09:10 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts

In any case, buying bikes is a relatively innocuous way to have your mid-life crisis.

Apparently I have had many mid-life crises
Old 09-01-17, 10:07 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
And I've been considerate enough not to buy the Series 6 Emonda with Di2.
Not me... Emonda SLR Project One with Red eTap and Zipp 303.

I justify it by the cost per mile. Since buying it January 2015, I have 14,000 miles so it's cheaper than a $2000 bike with only 1000 miles.
Old 09-01-17, 10:08 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
So when she tells you "honey, you were great. it was the best sex ever"... is she lying (since it's OK to lie)?
Doesn't matter, as long as you take each other at face value.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 09-01-17, 10:12 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
In any case, buying bikes is a relatively innocuous way to have your mid-life crisis. Much healthier and cheaper than a sports car and an affair with a younger woman :-)
This is a point I've made to my wife more than once.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 09-01-17, 10:21 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Approaching a 30 year anniversary of a marriage built on honesty and trust. All money is jointly contributed and controlled. We are well positioned in life, living debt free outside the small balance of a couple of mortgages. Purchases made under the $1k range are made freely and without the need for permission. Purchases made in the $1k - $5k range are usually made with a mention or explanation. Anything over $5k involves a discussion/agreement. These aren't hard and fast rules, but merely the way things have become between us. We have worked hard, been very fortunate, and have everything we need. I trust her judgement and she trusts mine.

I cannot imagine being in a committed relationship built on anything other than complete trust. I realize that a bicycle purchase may not be a major trust violation, but if ones financial station in life requires moderation at a certain price point then it becomes an issue of judgement and trust.

-Kedosto
Old 09-01-17, 10:31 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
No, it's not OK to lie.

But my wife and i subscribe to "Don't ask, don't tell". if sh asked, i'd tell her, but she already knows she doesn't want to hear what I have to say.
We also subscribe to the 'don't ask, don't tell' theory.
My wife is an avid hiker. I made the recent mistake of asking her how much she paid for a new set of carbon fiber walking sticks. They must have been campy super record. And don't get me going on what she pays for a stupid haircut. It's crazy.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 09-01-17, 10:37 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Not me... Emonda SLR Project One with Red eTap and Zipp 303.

I justify it by the cost per mile. Since buying it January 2015, I have 14,000 miles so it's cheaper than a $2000 bike with only 1000 miles.
Hmm, I've a few gray hairs, too, oldnslow, but it just goes to show you that there's much to be learned even at my wizened age.

But I sure as hell don't advertise what I paid. I tell her "I bought it used for about half retail", which is true. I ride it a lot and am getting leaner, which she likes. Maybe I should justify in terms of dollars per pound lost. Nope, the denominator is too low.
Old 09-01-17, 10:44 AM
Rje58

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Absolute 3.0 -- 1997 Trek 830 (modified to hybrid)

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 548 Times in 170 Posts
My wife and I have separate bank accounts, and we are each responsible for certain bills and expenses each month. We have our own separate savings and 401k accounts. What we each do with our discretionary spending is not judged by the other, within reason.

I still think it's a good idea to consult her on large purchases, like my motorcycle or car. She's always been supportive and generally says "Get it!" when I do.

Lying is almost never a good idea...
Old 09-01-17, 10:56 AM
Timequake

Bikes: 1982 Univega Gran Turismo

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pstock
Feeling guilty this week as I surreptitiously added N+1 to the stable
You sound like an alcoholic who lies about how many beers they drink each night.
Old 09-01-17, 11:08 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Where do you think children come from?
His response got him 30 days in the cooler.
Old 09-01-17, 03:17 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Let's put it this way. If you lie to your spouse about something, what is she or he lying to you about?
My wife lies to me and I am ok with that.
Old 09-01-17, 04:07 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
If my wife asks about, or sees an additional bike, i will address it, but not lie. She has her own cash to spend as she wants and I have mine (to an extent). KB
Old 09-01-17, 08:18 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Jon T
I see this all the time on the gun forums that I frequent too. One of the stock answers goes something to the effect of, "I sure hope that when I'm gone she doesn't sell them for what I TOLD her I paid for them".
Jon
Seen on a T-shirt in a bike shop today, "when I die, I sure hope my husband does not sell my bikes for the prices I told him I paid for them".

One of my wife's bikes cost more than 3 times the price of my best bike; and I'm not riding cheap bikes

My wife has been encouraging me to get a custom built frame for the last 5+ years. So far I've resisted her charm.

Last edited by Doug64; 09-01-17 at 09:19 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.