Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Every Cyclist Safer movement

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 03-05-18, 09:34 AM
bikeCOLORADO
#GoatRidesBikes.com

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sport, Commuter and Recreational Cyclists helping less fortunate cyclists ride safer on the streets. Buy a few inexpensive, rechargeable, waterproof and bright lights. Buy a few Cycling Safety Pamphlets. Have a conversation and help your fellow human beings survive riding on the streets.

Every Cyclist Safer info page

Help spread the word. Read more stories on the Every Cyclist Safer Instagram feed. #EveryCyclistSafer
https://www.instagram.com/everycyclistsafer/

Last edited by bikeCOLORADO; 03-05-18 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Misspelling.
Old 03-05-18, 11:38 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I've thought about buying a set of lights for a guy who lives behind my shop. He doesn't drive so he rides his bike to work, and on a couple of occasions I just barely saw him coming when I was pulling into the driveway. Even if he had a small flashlight on his handlebars it would help, and while his bike has reflectors on the rear an actual taillight would make sure he doesn't get run over.
Old 03-05-18, 11:41 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
One issue with buying lights is that the guy has to care enough to both turn them on and turn them off, and recharge them. It's all easy stuff .... but so is buying lights himself, which he has chosen not to do.

Also ... I don't see much value to chasing down a salmon and handing him a pamphlet.

For those that choose this activity---great, and I hope it works as you hope it works, I guess. I cannot see it causing any harm.
Old 03-05-18, 03:54 PM
bikeCOLORADO
#GoatRidesBikes.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I've thought about buying a set of lights for a guy who lives behind my shop. He doesn't drive so he rides his bike to work, and on a couple of occasions I just barely saw him coming when I was pulling into the driveway. Even if he had a small flashlight on his handlebars it would help, and while his bike has reflectors on the rear an actual taillight would make sure he doesn't get run over.
This is the light I have been buying to give away. It is very bright, waterproof and rechargeable. I did a run-down test on the low blink mode which is plenty bright and it lasted 24 hours. I have several Cateye Rapid X2 lights and it is almost as bright. All for $10 and you might just save a life.

Of course as Maelochs points out, the rider needs to not only keep it charged but remember to turn it on. At least you've done something! I also encourage people to hand out Smart Cycling Quick Guides from the League of American Cyclists. It's 30 pages of helpful infographics on how to ride safely on the streets. I typically have about a 5 minute conversation, they have been receptive and quite thankful.
Old 03-05-18, 04:56 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
One issue with buying lights is that the guy has to care enough to both turn them on and turn them off, and recharge them. It's all easy stuff .... but so is buying lights himself, which he has chosen not to do.
If you go to the instagram feed, he had a light, just a “sad dim little light.” You also ought to note there is a cane under the top tube.

Some people have choices, and some people have limitted choices.

(For example, giving out a “sad dim little light” that requires disposable batteries is a “gift” that keeps on taking.)

-mr. bill
Old 03-05-18, 08:30 PM
bikeCOLORADO
#GoatRidesBikes.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
If you go to the instagram feed, he had a light, just a “sad dim little light.” You also ought to note there is a cane under the top tube.

Some people have choices, and some people have limitted choices.

(For example, giving out a “sad dim little light” that requires disposable batteries is a “gift” that keeps on taking.)

-mr. bill
I have never "gifted" a light that requires batteries. I purposefully source, test and gift lights that are bright, waterproof and rechargeable. The light you see under the reflector is the light I gave him. It is not on in the photo. The light kit also comes with a USB charging cable.
Old 03-06-18, 10:09 AM
italktocats

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
after some research here they concluded that having lights reduces the changes on accidents by 20%

ha ha ha
Old 03-06-18, 02:43 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by italktocats
after some research here they concluded that having lights reduces the changes on accidents by 20%

ha ha ha
I'm sure it's much, much higher than that. The difference between seeing a cyclist or not can be huge.
Old 03-06-18, 03:15 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Whatever happens in any specific situation, i cannot complain about people trying to help others ride more safely.
Old 03-06-18, 03:28 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
I've given away several of these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1X-Silicone...p/162586132389

The problem, of course, is that they get dimmer and dimmer until no longer functional. The batteries are easy enough to replace, but retail, more expensive than the lights.

I lost my rechargeable rear last week. The closest sporting goods store only had battery powered, so I'm now on the prowl for my next "favorite" rechargeable.

Perhaps I'll try to find good rechargeable lights for < $5, but then giving them away, the person will still have to be able to charge them.