Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Colnago Master Piu Decor - need help

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Colnago Master Piu Decor - need help

Old 02-09-19, 07:21 AM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch
I have had good success with ebay. Buyer protection is well supported and if your purchase is not as described like undeclared damage then ebay will make it easy to get a full refund including return shipping. Also the seller feedback and ratings are good sources to check before making a purchase.
Agreed.

EBay has been my best friend when it comes C&V, and other things as well. If your going to be a C&V guy, get know e bay.
Old 02-09-19, 09:53 AM
fraba

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh Super Course - 1981 Velo Sport Criterium - c.1988 Colnago Master Piu - 1991 Merlin Road - 1991 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra - 1995 Pinarello Cromovan - c.1999 Lemond Maillot Jaune Team Saturn - 2002 Colnago C-40 - Also modern stuff

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Fountain
I didn't pick-up on the one set of bidon mounts - none on the seat tube. The single bidon mount was fazed out by most every frame builder around 1986/7 where 2 sets of bidon mounts were now becoming common. It's my recollection that Colnago did take a little longer to add the extra bidon mount to their frames (or show-up in Australia).

Plus the fact that the seat stay caps used on your frame were being used in the mid 1980's only goes to reinforce my estimation as a mid to late 1980's frame. These caps were used prior to the 'Ace of Clubs/Flowers' seat stay caps more commonly seen on Master frames.

Like you, I don't recall the decor paint scheme in the 1980's but that's just my recollection. Perhaps it was around 1n the 1980's?

It may even be a re-paint. The front fork is probably a replacement. I have a very good friend that had his Master Olympic re-painted in the original paint scheme as his frame had become tatty. You could not pick it from the original factory paint job. It would be a relatively easy paint scheme to reproduce if you had access to a computer printer that could produce stencils - pretty common. (I'm assuming the 'Colnago' logo's are painted on and not decals.) That said, I still think it's an original paint job.
I found (Wikipedia, Steel-Vintage.com) that the first Master Piu would probably be 1988. With the one bidon and old seat stay cap phasing out, I agree with you that the frame is probably late 80s. The paint looks original to me but I am no expert. Maybe one of the first Decor scheme. I sent an e-mail to Laura, I will see if she can help. This is all fun!!
Old 02-09-19, 09:56 AM
fraba

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh Super Course - 1981 Velo Sport Criterium - c.1988 Colnago Master Piu - 1991 Merlin Road - 1991 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra - 1995 Pinarello Cromovan - c.1999 Lemond Maillot Jaune Team Saturn - 2002 Colnago C-40 - Also modern stuff

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch
I have had good success with ebay. Buyer protection is well supported and if your purchase is not as described like undeclared damage then ebay will make it easy to get a full refund including return shipping. Also the seller feedback and ratings are good sources to check before making a purchase.
Originally Posted by Giacomo 1
Agreed.

EBay has been my best friend when it comes C&V, and other things as well. If your going to be a C&V guy, get know e bay.
Thanks guys for reassuring me about ebay. I agree I have homeworks to do about it.