Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Can you disassemble a Sturmey Archer Shifter?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 02-08-19, 09:31 PM
carfreefamily

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

The top plate on my shifter is a little bent. I would love to bend it back flat, but I don't see how.
Old 02-08-19, 10:12 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 390 Posts
You can disassemble pretty much anything.
The real question is, can you reassemble it after?

...Here's another ask, with some answers.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 02-08-19, 11:12 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
It's been done. People usually do it to replace the spring or to grind sharper detents into it when it's worn down. You drive the rivets down a little and it all comes apart . Getting the rivets back into the holes is a challenge, though. I wouldn't do it just to straighten the plate.
Old 02-09-19, 04:41 AM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
This is something I've done many times and it is a delicate operation. The issue here is that this is a rare and valuable shifter and an important part of your vintage bike. There's no room for error and no getting by with improvised tools. If you do decide to do it, I can walk you through. It would be good if you had a less important shifter to try it on before this one though.
Old 02-09-19, 07:25 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 686 Posts
Sure, especially if you are not opposed to replacing the original pins with small screws or plan on making replacement pins.
There are a number of guides available online, I probably have them saved somewhere. I can look them up if you are interested.

EDIT:
- https://genetics.mgh.harvard.edu/hanczyc/pdfs/satriggers.pdf Overview of all different models
- Model GC2 rebuild - Classicthreespeeds who made new pins
- Sturmey Archer trigger service - Smutpedaller who replaced them with M3 x 20mm screw and bolt

Alternatively you get still get lots of them on British eBay

Last edited by JaccoW; 02-09-19 at 07:38 AM.
Old 02-09-19, 08:31 AM
carfreefamily

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
This is something I've done many times and it is a delicate operation. The issue here is that this is a rare and valuable shifter and an important part of your vintage bike. There's no room for error and no getting by with improvised tools.
Maybe I should start by trying a small dab of silicone to hold it in place. It certainly doesn't sound like it was designed to be disassembled.

Thanks everyone. The journey continues .
Old 02-09-19, 11:33 AM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
Sure, especially if you are not opposed to replacing the original pins with small screws or plan on making replacement pins.
There are a number of guides available online, I probably have them saved somewhere. I can look them up if you are interested.

EDIT:
- https://genetics.mgh.harvard.edu/hanczyc/pdfs/satriggers.pdf Overview of all different models
- Model GC2 rebuild - Classicthreespeeds who made new pins
- Sturmey Archer trigger service - Smutpedaller who replaced them with M3 x 20mm screw and bolt

Alternatively you get still get lots of them on British eBay

Nice job. Sometimes there's just no chrome left on the face plate to save. It's quite fragile. I think this looks much better inked in like this rather than left plain. I did some experimenting using different paper for this. Anything glossy is bad. My best results were with a better quality stationary, but brown paper did reasonably well.
The original pins can be used even if the hole in the back of the case is too loose. That does sometimes happen even if you are super careful drifting the pins out. What I do is set the pins in place and give them a slight center punch to flare the tops. You do need a good, hardened fine point center punch like this to make a clean job of it.