Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Polar S720i Problem

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Polar S720i Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-04, 07:43 AM
bikeCOLORADO
#GoatRidesBikes.com

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Polar S720i Problem

Whenever I record an exercise, then download the data to the PC - There is always a discrepancy with the first three altitude samples. The first one is normally zero, the next one 2k to 3k ft and the third to fourth finally settles at the correct altitude of 6,400 or so (Colorado Springs). I have to manually error correct the first two to three samples EVERY time!
Anyone have this problem? Know a fix for it? Polar hasn't responded - and I don't want to send the watch in and be without it for a month...
Old 05-27-04, 09:02 AM
prabbit

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Into what program are you downloading the data? It may not be a problem with the monitor, but instead a problem with the software. I use PC Coach with my 510 and have found two or three valid bugs in PC Coach 4.0.5 and 4.0.6. I don't have the altitude capabilities, but have found some with Speed and Time/Miles.

If you use PC Coach (from Biometrics), send their customer support an e-mail. (Be prepared to be persistent if the don't respond in a day or so.)
Old 05-27-04, 10:16 AM
bikeCOLORADO
#GoatRidesBikes.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am using the stock Polar software. STILL waiting to hear from Polar. Frustrating.
Old 05-27-04, 01:08 PM
prabbit

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know about the 720, but the stock software that came with the 510 was PC Coach made by Biometrics. Like I said, it may not be a problem with the HRM at all and it could entirely be the software. If your stock software is PC Coach, then check www.pccoach.com.
Old 05-27-04, 02:34 PM
bikeCOLORADO
#GoatRidesBikes.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm using the software that came with the S720i - "Polar Precision Performance Software".
https://www.polar.fi/polar/channels/e...ducts/PPP.html

You can download a 30 day trial here:
https://pkneta.palvelukeskus.net/bin/na.na?na=3-0-56-3

It looks similar to what you're referring to - but there is enough difference for me to think it's a completely different product.

It appears to be invalid data from the watch because the straight text file download actually shows the first three (or four) samples as having invalid altitude data. The watch is only two months old and it's done this for virutally EVERY recorded exercise session.

It's mainly just a pain in the butt!
Old 05-28-04, 12:36 PM
NUNOLATRI

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prabbit
I don't know about the 720, but the stock software that came with the 510 was PC Coach made by Biometrics. Like I said, it may not be a problem with the HRM at all and it could entirely be the software. If your stock software is PC Coach, then check www.pccoach.com.

Reset the altitude before every ride.
Old 05-28-04, 12:49 PM
bikeCOLORADO
#GoatRidesBikes.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks - but it's not supposed to act this way and it's only 2 months old, so I'm looking for a permanet fix (and not a sledge hammer). Where the heck is Polar Tech support...2 emails in 2 days and no response.
Old 05-30-04, 04:36 AM
oxologic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe it is a perfectly fine phenomenon. Sometimes in my rides, as my HRM is around my wrist, when I move it away, the speed gets to zero due to the limited 1m communication distance. However, as I get it back, the speed increases bit by bit to the actual speed which I am riding. So for the altitude, it is the same, slowly reading the correct altitude as it adjusts itself. The altitude function does not mean that the altitude is measured every single second, but only when you start up your watch.

As for the service, they usually reply within 3 days, so be patient. I have always received a reply from them.