Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

GPS Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-04, 09:40 PM
Zip06

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GPS Mounts

I have an older GPS, the Garmin eMAP, and I was wondering how others mount or carry their GPS's. This model has an electronic map and a bunch of features like speed averaging and distances, ETA and all of that. The Garmin handlebar mount is not particularly inspiring so there has to be a better solution.
Old 08-01-04, 09:44 PM
forum*rider
Work hard, Play hard

Bikes: Cannondale super V 500, Bianchi Piaggio(hopefully getting a new road bike when I get some money)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While I don't have a GPS on my bike my uncle does. It's a newer model(not sure what brand or model but I can find out if you want) and it has a mount exactly like a cycling computer.

How about putting the GPS in a jersey pocket. Then you could either use one hand to take a look at it or you could stop and check your stats.

Or you could always tape/tie it on?
Old 08-01-04, 10:25 PM
Zin
On your what?!?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bungy mine on the aerobars when I take it with me.
Proud member of Colorado's Best Cycling Club - Club Hypoxia
Old 08-02-04, 05:50 AM
Faust

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zip06
I have an older GPS, the Garmin eMAP, and I was wondering how others mount or carry their GPS's. This model has an electronic map and a bunch of features like speed averaging and distances, ETA and all of that. The Garmin handlebar mount is not particularly inspiring so there has to be a better solution.
I have a Magellan Sportrak and occasionally mount it on my bike with a Niterider quick release handlebar mount. This allows the mount to do double duty for my GPS and headlight. In addition, the mount is easily positioned and can be quickly removed to safeguard the GPS.

I already had the Magellan GPS suction mount bracket with cradle for automobiles, and removed the cradle to use with the Niterider mount. I needed to drill a few small holes in the Niterider mount to align the mounting plate with my GPS mounting holes.
Old 08-02-04, 12:30 PM
ajkloss42
The 'net ruined cycling

Bikes: Steelman Eurocross, Peugeot U08 fixie, Specialized Expidition, Raleigh Sprite 27, Serotta CDA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought the $20 handlebar mount for my Garmin Etrex Legend. Over a few months of use, the GPS started to get flaky and turn off on the bumpy bits so I've stopped using the handlebar bracket. If I want it along, I'll toss it in a backpack or on a belthook.
Old 08-03-04, 09:22 AM
dragracer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
RAM makes a very versatile mounting system. You can buy the main package and then buy only the base mounting piece for all your other vehicles. I think this is the system I'm going to buy. I just got my GPS also and have been looking. This is the best system for multiple vehicles I have found.

https://www.cycoactive.com/gps/gps_mounts_ram.html

https://www.ram-mount.com/
Old 08-03-04, 02:36 PM
Cruzzer08
RidingRoy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a Magellan meridian gold, it is awesome the GPS is $200 anywhere so might as well buy it at wal-mart and the mount is $30 on ebay. The mount works great, never moves, locks GPS in (you have to push a button on top of the mount to release GPS). It is awesome on the road and I have taken it on some pretty tough trails.

Mount: https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=WDVW&tc=photo

GPS: https://www.magellangps.com/en/produc....asp?PRODID=90
Old 08-09-04, 08:03 AM
bikeCOLORADO
#GoatRidesBikes.com

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a cell phone pouch that I zip tie to my hydration pack strap so it sits right over my left collarbone. It get's better satellite coverage than when in my hydra pack or on my hip and it's isolated from the vibration and shock of being directly mounted to the bike.

I can't SEE it, but I only use it to record rides...
Old 08-09-04, 10:14 AM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
How accurate are these GPS units from firsthand experience? Can they be used to replace the bike computer for all their functions?
Old 08-09-04, 12:04 PM
Zip06

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The GPS is accurate...within 12 feet. The altimeter function would be just as well if it were deleted. When measuring distance its very accurate but it measures in a linear straight line unless you leave it on continuously. If you leave it on it eats batteries in 8-24 hours depending on the model. A thick canopy or tall buildings all around you can screw up reception. Interference has not been a problem but it exists.
Old 08-09-04, 12:08 PM
bikeCOLORADO
#GoatRidesBikes.com

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It depends upon satellite coverage. If you're riding in deep canyons and/or with a heavy tree canopy overhead you might not get very accurate readings. GPS units are pretty much "line of sight" devices and need as clear a view and as much view of the sky as possible.

Satellite coverage is why I wear mine high up near my shoulder - I found that putting it in my pack or on my hip tended to cause problems with accurate readings. I suppose the IDEAL spot for coverage would be on top of your helmet - but might be a little pricey each time you endo. In two years of riding I've never even bumped it carrying it over my collar bone on my hydra pack strap.

Otherwise they're incredibly accurate.

Here is the absolute best and least expensive software out there for working with GPS units.
https://www.topofusion.com
TopoFusion is GPS Mapping software for Windows. It downloads maps (Topo and Aerial Photo) automatically from Microsoft's TerraServer and stores them on the hard drive.

And it costs a whopping $40.00
Old 08-09-04, 12:11 PM
ajkloss42
The 'net ruined cycling

Bikes: Steelman Eurocross, Peugeot U08 fixie, Specialized Expidition, Raleigh Sprite 27, Serotta CDA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't heard of a GPS with a cadence sensor, so you'll loose that. For speed/distance figures, they seem to be more accurate but they don't give you performance feedback as fast as a bike computer does. All the ones I've seen are a lot heavier than a bike computer and drain batteries much more quickly.
Old 08-12-04, 04:25 PM
caligurl
OMG! i'm a DURT gurl!!!!

Bikes: 2007 specialized stumpjumper FSR expert, 2006 specialized ruby pro, 2004 specialized dolce elite, 2005 specialized hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i bought the garmin handlebar mount for 13.99 from amazon.com
Old 08-17-04, 03:18 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Zip06
I use the Garmin handlebar mount every week for the past 6 months without any problems. It's a solid device and inexpensive.

I do have the legend. The older unit may be too heavy... Sorry.