Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Is 20 Miles Each Way Too Far?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Is 20 Miles Each Way Too Far?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-09, 06:14 PM
caelric
triathlete? roadie? MTB?

Bikes: Cannondale Slice One tri bike, Cannondale F300 Hardtail MTB, Bianchi Giro roadie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pennstater
I'll say this, work always goes better when I bike.
Ain't that the truth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-21-09, 08:29 PM
diggersml

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp; Otso Waheela C; Specialized Stumpjumper; Specialized Demo 8; Diamondback Ascent EX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=mangosalsa;8221423]Where in the triangle is your commute? QUOTE]

Actually from the other end (Southern Wake County) of the Tobacco Trail (New Hill Area) to RTP.

The two bridges are planned to be complete by June that will be the ideal low traffic route. Until then, I've got a ATT to road route mapped out. The TTA route from this part of town is not very efficient even for a bike - bus - bike route.
Old 01-21-09, 09:49 PM
roseskunk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my commute is 1 mile, round trip. i own 14 bikes. something is amiss...
Old 01-22-09, 12:19 AM
DesnaePhoto

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I got back into riding, I would hop a ride into work with a coworker. Luckily, she drove a large SUV, so throwing the back into the back was quick and easy. Then I'd ride home. Was best of both worlds. 17 miles one way.

Now I've changed jobs and living space. 5 miles direct commute. 15-20 minutes by car. 25 minutes by bike. Just a few stop signs along the way. I've been adding making the trip 20-30 miles one way. Course, I live alone and have little life. So might as well ride!
Old 01-23-09, 09:55 PM
Heathenix
year round commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No real hills? You're not crazy. It's the bloody elevation change that takes it out of you day after day after day. I think anyhow. This is assuming that you've got the time for that distance...
Old 01-24-09, 05:11 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,062 Times in 1,080 Posts
Originally Posted by roseskunk
my commute is 1 mile, round trip. i own 14 bikes. something is amiss...
RAID for bikes, it's a good thing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redunda...ependent_disks
Old 01-24-09, 08:40 AM
SD Fixed
Traffic shark

Bikes: 2 fixies, 1 road, 29er in the works.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here in San Diego, it's pretty hilly. I ride fixed 16 miles one way, so 20 miles flat isn't that bad. I'd say ride it on a weekend, and get a good judge of how you feel. If it works, then you're golden, try it a few times. If not, then, at least you know. I started with a road bike, and then to a low geared fixed, then went crazy on gearing and then went to my current 47/15. If someone like me can accomplish this, you can too.
Old 01-24-09, 09:09 AM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 32 Posts
[QUOTE=diggersml;8224330]
Originally Posted by mangosalsa
Where in the triangle is your commute? QUOTE]

Actually from the other end (Southern Wake County) of the Tobacco Trail (New Hill Area) to RTP.

The two bridges are planned to be complete by June that will be the ideal low traffic route. Until then, I've got a ATT to road route mapped out. The TTA route from this part of town is not very efficient even for a bike - bus - bike route.

I attended a few training classes at Nortel in Triangle Park. Stayed at one of the hotels less than a mile away. When I would go there, I would rent a bike in Durham and use that for the week. Every day I would leave work and ride the Tobacco Trail to Durham, get a sandwich at that health food market and sit on the wall and watch people run the track at Duke.

The road from TP to the tobacco trail was very crazy riding. I got squeezed more on that road in any week I was there than I have been in all the rest of the years I have been riding. But the Tobacco Trail was alway a great ride. I never knew about that baseball team till I rode past the park at the end of the trail. Bulls of Durham, or Durham Bulls, I think the name was/is.

Twenty miles is a long way to commute. Your probably looking at adding three to three and a half hours to your day when you factor in everything you need to do besides the ride.