Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Chicago Area Rides

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Chicago Area Rides

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-05, 10:39 PM
Zurich
You only YOLO once

Bikes: Merica

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chicago Area Rides

I moved to Chicago about six months ago and just started riding again. I pretty much stick to the north branch trail and the lake shore path, both of which I think suck. Anyone have a good ride/area I should check out. I'm looking for 30+ rides, the more the better. Thanks!
Old 05-03-05, 12:33 AM
Seamless
Peddler

Bikes: Cannondale Road Warrior 800 & H400

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zurich
I moved to Chicago about six months ago and just started riding again. I pretty much stick to the north branch trail and the lake shore path, both of which I think suck. Anyone have a good ride/area I should check out. I'm looking for 30+ rides, the more the better. Thanks!
Anything in the area will be flat. The lakefront path, beginning around the Museum of Science and Industry, connects all the way to Green Bay WI, if you want, or any shorter trip length. If your schedule permits weekday (between rush hours) riding, that's the best time as the weather turns warm, otherwise you are constantly trying to avoid uncontrolled toddlers whose stupid parents are oblivious and lack capacity to read signs, notice solid center path markings, hear ringing bells, recognize verbal warnings, etc. OTOH you might enjoy sunbathers (not too many in evidence 6 months ago) from Oak St. north to Fullerton, beach volleyball at North Ave. and at the north end near Hollywood.

To get to the Green Bay bike path, one wends up the bike route through Rogers Park into Evanston, then from the Northwestern campus at Sheridan Rd., west along Lincoln until you get to the Metra tracks (continue west past Ridge Road). Turn north up through various north shore villages downtown areas parallel to the train tracks. Eventually you transit the Ravinia music festival grounds, and continue north as long as you like. It's about 25 miles roundtrip from Hyde Park (Science & Industry) along the lakefront path to the Peace Garden (about 4200 N.). From the Peace Garden, it's about 45 miles roundtrip to Ravinia.

The Chicago River North Branch trail from the forest preserves near Devon west of the Edens expressway makes a 42-mile or so rountrip to the Chicago Botanic Gardens; it's a short transit to the Green Bay trail if you want to continue further north.

You may have seen the Prairie path, which largely follows the Fox River from Geneva/Batavia (Fermilab) north to Elgin.

Some good rides not too far away in Wisconsin, including dirt/mountain areas or just a lot of hills.

If you haven't already checked into bike clubs or organized rides, stop into a bike shop for brochures and listings in sports magazines , or via web sites (e.g. Chicagoland bike federation).
Old 05-03-05, 07:39 AM
jtm1631

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are looking for some organized rides you can google Tour of the North Shore on May 15th which is a max. 50 mile route. This ride raises funds for the American Cancer Society. There is also the Bike The Drive ride on May 29th. They close down Lake Shore Drive and you can ride a 30 mile loop on the drive.

JT
Old 05-03-05, 08:37 AM
sambusik
Just a Member

Bikes: Felt F35, Ellsworth Id

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode up Sheridan Rd to downtown Highland Park this past weekend. Great ride, with mostly decent roads.

I live near Roscoe Village, so I rode up Damen, to Ridge, to Sheridan, and same way back. 44 miles roundtrip.

The North Branch trail is pretty decent as part of a larger route. It's boring to do an out and back on the trail.