Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is it OK to lie to your spouse/partner about your bike buys?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Is it OK to lie to a spouse/partner about bike buying?
Yes
19.54%
No
70.11%
Sometimes (explain)
12.64%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-17, 07:43 AM
pstock

Bikes: (shortlist) Cyclops, Marinoni, Mariposa, Air Firday, Pocket Rocket Pro, NWT, SLX Fuso, Claude Pottie (France) x3, Masi Team 3v, Lemond Zurich, Bianchi OS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts

Feeling guilty this week as I surreptitiously added N+1 to the stable (but for eventual resale, I swear!) and the above question popped into my head.

If so, why or when?
If not, why not?
Old 08-31-17, 07:48 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 135 Posts
Nope, and my wife would definitely notice another bike in the garage.
Old 08-31-17, 07:49 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Nope. I'd notice if Rowan brought another bicycle into the collection ... and wonder why I didn't have a new one as well.
Old 08-31-17, 07:50 AM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
(Plants palm on forehead, not this stuff again...)

Why do I feel this has been inspired by the "Opposite Gender Cycling Friends" thread? And why do you seek answers to moral questions about spousal relationships on an internet forum.

If you're "feeling guilty" and need to ask the question then do you not already know the answer?
And you need to ask, "Is it okay to lie to your spouse?" ???
Old 08-31-17, 07:57 AM
InOmaha

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
We're at the point in life where we only consult each other on major purchases. I won't lie to her, but I don't bother to fill her in if I found a $100 bike on Craigslist. She doesn't fill me in on exactly how much she spends on lots of misc. items.

So the dollar amount is the key. Not the physical item.
Old 08-31-17, 08:01 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Subscribed.
Old 08-31-17, 08:17 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Why would buying a bike be different from anything else?

Its our money- I dont lie about it. Thats Fd up to do.
At the same time, i dont tell her about every bike I buy. She typically notices eventually and fully supports my cycling hobby and my refurbish then sell hobby.

My wife and daughters ride...a horse. That thing is more expensive in 1 month than my hobby is in a year.
...but it isnt a competition.

It is unfortunate to see some people have to lie about purchases. Either they are spending irresponsibly, their spouse is unsupportive, or both.
Old 08-31-17, 08:21 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
It's never OK to lie about finances to your partner or spouse.
Old 08-31-17, 08:23 AM
athrowawaynic

Bikes: 2015 Niner RLT9, 1987 Atala

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WNCGoater
Why do I feel this has been inspired by the "Opposite Gender Cycling Friends" thread? And why do you seek answers to moral questions about spousal relationships on an internet forum
Also similar to the never-shopping-at-LBS-again thread.

Originally Posted by InOmaha
We're at the point in life where we only consult each other on major purchases. I won't lie to her, but I don't bother to fill her in if I found a $100 bike on Craigslist. She doesn't fill me in on exactly how much she spends on lots of misc. items.

So the dollar amount is the key. Not the physical item.
That's not even a lie of omission, since the understanding basically amounts to tacit permission in advance.
Old 08-31-17, 08:32 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
We owe fidelity, honesty and sincerity to our spouses. These are theirs by right. To deny someone something which is theirs by right is an injustice. To lie to your spouse is an injustice.

There are times when someone doesn't have the right to know something. An adult asking a child if their parents are home is an example. A wife or husband may not have a right to know something confided by a friend. That's different from lying or withholding the truth from someone where it is their right.

If you are lying to your spouse about bikes then you have major problems in your marriage. Bikes are not the issue, only the symptom.

-Tim-
Old 08-31-17, 08:44 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
If you are lying to your spouse about bikes then you have major problems in your marriage. Bikes are not the issue, only the symptom. -Tim-
This ^^^^

The only time I could see not telling Lisa about a new bike purchase is if it's a gift for her. (I might do this to get us a nice tandem)
Old 08-31-17, 08:47 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I just ordered a new seatpost for my 1987 Bianchi so I can have the correct set-back. However, I failed to get permission for this, so I am damned to a lifetime of saddle-sores.
Old 08-31-17, 08:50 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
I once lied to a partner to throw her off track that I was buying her a new bike for her birthday. Am I damned to hell for doing that?
Old 08-31-17, 08:52 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Once my daughter and I "hid" a bike in the back bushes. About a week later my spouse said: "Is there another bike back there?" We both burst out laughing because she had walked right past it several times, plus my daughter was constantly going back and forth across the lawn with tools. It was a bike that we got for 35 bucks from the thrift store.

But we're completely up front with one another about our hobbies. I mess around with old bikes. My spouse is a distance runner. The costs are pretty comparable.
Old 08-31-17, 08:54 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
We owe fidelity, honesty and sincerity to our spouses. These are theirs by right. To deny someone something which is theirs by right is an injustice. To lie to your spouse is an injustice.

There are times when someone doesn't have the right to know something. An adult asking a child if their parents are home is an example. A wife or husband may not have a right to know something confided by a friend. That's different from lying or withholding the truth from someone where it is their right.

If you are lying to your spouse about bikes then you have major problems in your marriage. Bikes are not the issue, only the symptom.

-Tim-
Are you a marriage counselor by profession, or is spouting off such advice to strangers just a hobby?
Old 08-31-17, 08:55 AM
northtexasbiker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unless your purchase is hurting the family why would your spouse care, and if it is hurting the family then you already know the answer. If you have a hobby of fixing up bikes and selling them even at a small loss, I doubt anyone's spouse cares that you continue that hobby. Then again I doubt many people are actually running at a small loss or breaking even when it comes to bike purchases. No one here knows your financial situation.
Old 08-31-17, 09:00 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I don't lie about bikes or bike-related purchases. I like to buy parts for my wife's bike and install them without telling her, to see if she notices. I've gradually replaced all of the Tiagra 4600 with Ultegra 6700 (except for the brakes, which are 5800s) and the only thing she noticed right away were the STis, because she actually used the little gear indicators on the 4600s.
Old 08-31-17, 09:18 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Nope. We both have our own play money accounts, what we do with that money is our own business. Plus, as I generally have pictures up on Facebook within minutes of taking possession, it would really be hard to lie about anyhow.

Every now and then bikes that don't get ridden get disposed of, to make her happy, the complaints are more about space than money anyhow. If it is a flip anyhow, and she is mad, you've got deeper issues.
Old 08-31-17, 09:21 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I voted no. You should never lie about small things to your spouse. It's okay to lie about big things, like bank robbery, murder and infidelity, though. This just takes common sense...
Old 08-31-17, 09:38 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Never had to worry about lying to my wife. She's my #1 supporter and always tells me to get the good stuff and not be cheap, whether I'm buying cycling clothes, components or a new bike. Sometimes she goes with me and asks why I'm getting model X (which costs $$) when model Y seems nicer (and the price is $$$).

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 08-31-17, 09:40 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,394 Times in 2,739 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Are you a marriage counselor by profession, or is spouting off such advice to strangers just a hobby?
Consider the source. The advice always comes with a heavy dose of smarmy smug. I do agree that you shouldn't lie to your spouse.
Old 08-31-17, 09:58 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
I think it's OK to lie to *your* spouse about anything.

My spouse, on the other hand...
Old 08-31-17, 09:58 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I voted no. You should never lie about small things to your spouse. It's okay to lie about big things, like bank robbery, murder and infidelity, though. This just takes common sense...
Finally! A voice of reason!
Old 08-31-17, 09:59 AM
Aahzz

Bikes: '17 Trek FX2, '19 Trek FX 3 Disc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 87 Posts
I say no - I don't lie to my wife, because she's my partner and we signed up for this together. If your finances are such that you have available play money and can spend what you can afford on the things you want without causing hardship, you certainly shouldn't have to seek approval from your spouse, but if they're set up as fully combined finances, I'd say it warrants a discussion. Do as you will, but lying/hiding things from a life partner is never a good idea - with the exception that if it's to temporarily hide a gift for said partner (or some surprise of mutual benefit), it's expected.
Old 08-31-17, 10:53 AM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
Nope. I pay the bills and keep a roof over our heads, anything I do with the remainder of my own money is my business and I have no reason to lie about or conceal my purchases.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.