Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Miyata 712 or Raleigh Racing USA with 555RSL

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Miyata 712 or Raleigh Racing USA with 555RSL

Old 04-24-18, 12:08 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts
Originally Posted by Podagrower
Quite a bit better, still needs to be taken apart for a good cleaning. The chain is beyond worn out, but the cassette looks good still and can anybody figure out from that photo if the chainring is shot or is just the massive slop in the chain?
The chainring was shot when it left the factory. Great acquisitions.
Old 04-24-18, 12:13 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Dboyle
The custom order frames in red and black were actually made in England. One option was the 753 frame.
I raced a "555 SL" or whatever the British 531 frames were oddly labeled as, good kit though.
The Mfg tag in the frame box said "Huffy" as the customer, Yep that's Raleigh USA.
Apples & grapefruits to what the OP is looking at.

-Bandera
Old 04-24-18, 12:51 PM
brian3069

Bikes: Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Dboyle
To add a bit more confusion, I have a 1980's Raleigh USA, red triangle tubes and black stays and forks, original paint and decals, and it has a 531C Reynolds decal.

Maybe yours is a team replica and not a custom frame? That would put it a little higher on the food chain.

Very nice!!!

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-gipiemme.html
Old 04-24-18, 02:10 PM
Dboyle

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brian3069
Maybe yours is a team replica and not a custom frame? That would put it a little higher on the food chain.

Very nice!!!

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-gipiemme.html
Hmmm. The 1985 Raleigh USA catalog lists them as custom frames (that probably really means a custom order frame vs. an actual custom frame). That is the catalog I used to order the frame from the dealer. Two frames available, one 753, the other 555. I ordered the 555 version. Mine delivered with 531C for some reason. But I was always OK with that.

Last edited by Dboyle; 04-24-18 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Looked at catalog
Old 04-24-18, 03:42 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2295 Post(s)
Liked 2,041 Times in 1,250 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
That's a Gran Prix. You can see the decal on the top tube near the seat tube. If it's like my '84 the black is actually chrome. lousy picture. Arx was OEM
Correct, OP I think you made the right choice.
Old 05-28-18, 04:15 PM
Podagrower

Bikes: Giant Defy Composite, Spechialized Ruby (hers), Niner RLT9, Miyata 712, Condor ??

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
No photos of the upgrades, but. New bar tape (which is too bright of a yellow), new shift and brake cables (which are the right color yellow), new brake hoods, new brake pads all around, figured out how to center the single pivot brakes, headset, wheel, and BB bearings all replaced, new chain, upcycled the ultegra rear derailleur from the parts box to replace the 105. Looks like it's going to wind up with a triple crank but the used one I got had a trashed spindle so I am waiting on a replacement. Scored a used saddle online which I already know makes my backside happy.
Old 06-18-18, 09:55 AM
Podagrower

Bikes: Giant Defy Composite, Spechialized Ruby (hers), Niner RLT9, Miyata 712, Condor ??

Finally got the first ride in, nothing fell of the bike, myself included, so it was a good ride. I went kind of mixed bag on the build. Everything came off the bike, got at least a reasonable cleaning before being replaced or reused. New bearings all around, and they were overdue judging by the wax that used to be grease. New cables, new brake pads, new brake hoods, new bar tape, new saddle. Existing brake levers and brakes retained, front wheel retained. The 42-52 chainrings were replaced with a 26-40-50 triple, the rear wheel is currently from a different bike with an 11-36 cassette (wow, that is a granny gear). Front and rear derailleurs replaced with 105 (5703 front, 5800 GS rear) and I know what you are thinking, there isn't enough capacity there for the gears I'm running-true that, small small and big big are problematic with chainline, small front big rear rubs the derailleur on the cassette, but I'm confident I can fix that with the B screw. I wanted to retain the square taper BB and change the caged bearings to loose ceramic (just to screw with bike snobs), but the existing spindle was not wide enough for the triple crank (no big surprise) and the triple crank spindle was garbage, so I wound up going with a new square taper BB with sealed ceramic bearings, so I can screw with the snobs. Ultegra pedals, Dura Ace downtube shifters (not much choice there if you want 10 speed indexed).

So, how does the 712 ride? Awesome, even with no hands on the bars, straight and true. I'm going to say it is surprisingly light, just going by feel, I think it weighs less than my other steel bike that is 853 tubing.

And what is left on the to-do list? The only thing I discovered was that the headset is a little too loose, sometimes it's hard to find that balance between too tight and actually functioning and I went too loose. I would like to find a newer set of 105 wheels (or at least a rear).

Things I learned. 6 speed indexed downtube shifters can handle a 10 speed cassette in friction mode.
Old 06-18-18, 01:56 PM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
That's a Gran Prix. You can see the decal on the top tube near the seat tube. If it's like my '84 the black is actually chrome. lousy picture. Arx was OEM
i just got one of these for $80 and that was a steal- someone should go grab that. worth it for the chrome alone.
Old 07-06-18, 08:20 AM
Podagrower

Finally got the second ride in, small list of tweaks needed. I had left both derailleur cables long just in case (of what, I don't know) and the front one managed to contact the rear tire, and start bouncing between the tire and my leg, unraveling and occasionally managing to grab a leg hair. I had tried setting the headset as tight as it would go and still turn easy, but it was too loose. Front derailleur is just barely dragging on the middle chainring, but the joys of friction shifting mean I can trim it out easily. Saddle is probably too high. But it is a very comfortable and capable rider. There were 2 bike snobs in the group I was riding with and both took notice of the Miyata.
Old 07-07-18, 07:28 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
The letgo photo of the Raleigh is very weak. Is that a chrome headtube with full chrome rear triangle? Those were built by Toyo. Super bikes. One of the best bikes and best deals ever. If the chrome is shot, you'll never restore it. And if not chrome, who knows. Raleigh was sourcing bikes everywhere. If it looks like improbably perfect exceptional framework it probably is. If you can't tell the difference just get a bike and ride.
Old 07-16-19, 03:30 PM
dogbros

Bikes: 1987 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, I have been looking for this exact article for months! I have the exact bike, only the next year and want to do the same thing; add a triple and more gears in back! Can you direct me as to the crankset you used ? Did you have to do anything special to make it fit? Also, I have the stock 105 derailleurs. I am assuming I have to change to handle the gears you have? Sorry, this is my first post on this Forum, so I can't include photos or PM yet. - Thanks - Dave