Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Please explain why headsets matter

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Please explain why headsets matter

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-18, 12:13 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Dented vs. Indented

Originally Posted by randyjawa
According to the dictionary, a dent is "a slight hollow in a hard, even surface made by a blow or by the exertion of pressure".

And indent is, "deep recesses or notches in (a line or surface)".

Yup, those darn dents are actually indents. I can learns stuff all the time, eh.

Anyway, goods heads up on my poor choice of words. Good to get today's mistake out of the way early:-)
Not a poor choice of words. I commented that you described the results very well and I use the word indented.

I wasn't aware of the difference between dented and indented so there, I learned something too.

Are you using a Canadian English dictionary or a US one eh?

The US and the UK... two peoples divided by a common language.

"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, at least they'll find your handy!" Red Green

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Old 07-18-18, 03:18 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
Not a poor choice of words. I commented that you described the results very well and I use the word indented.

I wasn't aware of the difference between dented and indented so there, I learned something too.

Are you using a Canadian English dictionary or a US one eh?

The US and the UK... two peoples divided by a common language.

"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, at least they'll find your handy!" Red Green

verktyg
Congratulations...

You have won the Award for using the most Canadian stereotypes in one post

Oh and by the way Canada is not in the UK (lately I wish we were). You can verify that by checking a map.

Scotty

Last edited by Wileyone; 07-18-18 at 12:49 PM.
Old 07-18-18, 05:36 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyone

Oh and by the way Canada is not in the UK (lately I wish we were).

Scotty
Lately, I've been kind of wishing I HAD gone to Canada in 1970...and never come back.
Old 07-18-18, 08:22 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,463 Times in 1,433 Posts
Welcome back, @rootboy. We missed you.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-18-18, 08:24 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
A headset's job is to keep the fork and frame together with the absolute minimum of play, while allowing easy rotation, and lasting a long time while exposed to a lot of junk flung at it by wheel and road. It's a tall order. Crappy headset may contribute significantly to shimmy problems. Vintage frame and fork are built with a limited range of stack that will work. Worth paying a bit more for one that does all those things, and looks good too.
Old 07-18-18, 08:35 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Well then, what's the least you can spend that fulfills these requirements? Did I spend too little? It was $10 or $12, and it's serving me perfectly so far.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 07-18-18, 09:33 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Well then, what's the least you can spend that fulfills these requirements? Did I spend too little? It was $10 or $12, and it's serving me perfectly so far.
OP asked why headsets matter, not the least one had to spend to be satisfied. I think you may now know how little you can spend and be happy with a headset; but maybe you should try again, and see how it goes.

Last edited by Charles Wahl; 07-18-18 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-18-18, 09:49 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
OP asked why headsets matter, not the least one had to spend to be satisfied. I think you may now know how little you can spend and be happy with a headset; but maybe you should try again, and see how it goes.
Right, but there is a point of diminishing returns, after which, one won't feel the need to spend more.

Old 07-18-18, 09:52 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
Durability.
That's why Chris King headsets have been my preference for almost 40 years... but I think the first King headset was made in the late seventies so not period-correct for earlier bikes.
Brent
I have several older bikes, all using the original headsets. So.... what's your point?

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 07-18-18, 10:19 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts

The latest version uses precision sealed ball bearing cartridges. The seem to work as well but I think the needle bearing style was perfect. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

NOTE: there are some black Stronglight A9 headsets being sold on eBay. They are painted steel not aluminum and they have plain caged ball bearings.

Thanks for the very informative post.

Let me ask a noob question here, but I assume the steel Stronglight headsets with the caged ball bearings, aren't as good as the aluminium version(s) with the cartridge ball bearings?
Old 07-18-18, 11:03 PM
catgita

Bikes: Fitz randonneuse, Trek Superfly/AL, Tsunami SS, Bacchetta, HPV Speed Machine, Rans Screamer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Let me put it in visceral terms.

A bad headset will make the bike handle poorly. You may not even know it is the headset, and may think the bike is just a bit off, misaligned, poorly designed or flexy. The bike may feel twitchy, like it won’t go straight, or is difficult to ride with no hands. You may not even know there is a problem until after replacing the headset and feeling the improvement.

A headset may be bad from the start, or get damaged easily during assembly, and will be harder to get dialed in just right. It may have insufficient seals against water and dirt, or seals that cause drag. And will deteriorate more quickly.

These days it doesn’t cost much to get a decent headset. But over the years having cracked, shattered, contaminated and worn out, dented (or indented or whatever), I tend to notice headset problems early. $40 or $140? A bit like picking fly poop out of pepper.
Old 07-18-18, 11:04 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
I have several older bikes, all using the original headsets. So.... what's your point?
Sorry. I guess I should have made my point more clearly. I found that the original headsets on bikes that I bought new in the "on-topic" period, Campagnolo included, only lasted a few thousand miles. The King headset was the first one I owned that lasted longer than I owned the bikes, so I stuck with it. On fully-rigid mountain bikes, consistently ridden on rocky terrain the difference was even more marked.
Brent
Old 07-19-18, 02:34 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Stronglight A9 Versions

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Let me ask a noob question here, but I assume the steel Stronglight headsets with the caged ball bearings, aren't as good as the aluminium version(s) with the cartridge ball bearings?
Just to be clear, I was discussing the currently manufactured black painted Stronglight A9 steel headsets. They are currently selling on eBay for $16 to $30. You get what you pay for!

Aside from the black painted surface vs. chromed plating, they're most likely case hardened low quality steel with unground bearing races.

The original aluminum A9 headsets were much better quality than the cheap black steel ones. The new ones with the sealed cartridges are even better made than the original A9s. They're selling for ~$60.

A cheap headset lower bearing cup. Notice the rough surface of the chrome plating in the bearing races.

Precision ground bearing races in a quality headset cup.

Caged headset bearings. One problem with cages is the tend to keep the balls in the same position which increases the likelihood for indenting via wear and/or impact.

Indented crown race

The indentations most frequently occur in the crown race and lower headset cup. They are located in the same position in both parts which results in "indexing". There's a cheap temporary fix for indexing. Remove the fork and remove either the bottom head tube cup or crown race. Rotate it a few degrees and reassemble.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Old 07-19-18, 04:05 AM
Wileyone 

Just to be clear, I was discussing the currently manufactured black painted Stronglight A9 steel headsets. They are currently selling on eBay for $16 to $30. You get what you pay for!

Aside from the black painted surface vs. chromed plating, they're most likely case hardened low quality steel with unground bearing races.

The original aluminum A9 headsets were much better quality than the cheap black steel ones. The new ones with the sealed cartridges are even better made than the original A9s. They're selling for ~$60.

A cheap headset lower bearing cup. Notice the rough surface of the chrome plating in the bearing races.

Caged headset bearings. One problem with cages is the tend to keep the balls in the same position which increases the likelihood for indenting via wear and/or impact.

Indented crown race

The indentations most frequently occur in the crown race and lower headset cup. They are located in the same position in both parts which results in "indexing". There's a cheap temporary fix for indexing. Remove the fork and remove either the bottom head tube cup or crown race. Rotate it a few degrees and reassemble.

verktyg
Or you could just dump the cages and replace with quality loose balls. Makes for a smoother Headset.

Scotty
Old 07-19-18, 05:03 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by wileyone
or you could just dump the cages and replace with quality loose balls. Makes for a smoother headset.
+1.
Old 07-19-18, 08:18 AM
AlmostGreenGuy
Intrepid Bicycle Commuter

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, Austro Daimler 'Ultima', 2012 Salsa Vaya, 2009 Trek 4300, Fyxation Eastside, State Matte Black 6, '97 Trek 930 SHX, '93 Specialized Rockhopper, 1990 Trek 950

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 34 Posts
I had to disassemble and clean the Campagnolo headset on my Austro Daimler build a few nights ago. I was blown away by the quality.

Don't know if this translates to better performance or longevity, but the steering is impossibly smooth after cleaning, re-greasing, and reassembly.

Old 07-19-18, 08:20 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Or you could just dump the cages and replace with quality loose balls. Makes for a smoother Headset.

Scotty
...through what one mechanic called "enhanced randomness."

Old 07-19-18, 08:27 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
A loose stem / headset did not prevent Peter Sagan from winning the 2018 Paris Roubaix.

I'm not sure whether the takeaway is that headsets are pretty irrelevant even to professional racers . . . or Sagan is so good that a even a bad headset can't stop him. Guess it could be spun either way.
Old 07-19-18, 08:51 AM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
A loose stem / headset did not prevent Peter Sagan from winning the 2018 Paris Roubaix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfqbQdsN9-A

I'm not sure whether the takeaway is that headsets are pretty irrelevant even to professional racers . . . or Sagan is so good that a even a bad headset can't stop him. Guess it could be spun either way.
That wasn't his headset that was loose but actually his stem which is kinda dangerous.
Old 07-19-18, 11:21 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Congratulations...

You have won the Award for using the most Canadian stereotypes in one post

Oh and by the way Canada is not in the UK (lately I wish we were). You can verify that by checking a map.
Imagine having to switch sides of the road crossing the Ambassador Bridge....
Old 07-19-18, 11:31 AM
Wileyone 

Originally Posted by madpogue

Imagine having to switch sides of the road crossing the Ambassador Bridge....
Another Trump supporter...
Old 07-19-18, 10:10 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts

Indented crown race

verktyg

Thanks, I've made a much needed addition to my knowledge bank, thanks to your replies.
Old 07-20-18, 04:43 AM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
Another Trump supporter...
And who would be stereotyping now?
Old 07-20-18, 04:47 AM
Wileyone 

Originally Posted by plonz

And who would be stereotyping now?
I didn't start it. Something about dishing it out but not being able to take it.