Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Just, wow.

Old 05-25-19, 08:10 AM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 128 Posts
I never understood the appeal of announcing to the world you're no longer participating. Just disappear gracefully. Why make a big song and dance over it? Is it so you can inevitably get roasted and haughtily declare, "See? I'm right!"?
Likes For JW Fas:
Old 05-25-19, 08:23 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
A co-worker showed me the softball forums he participates in. I believe snark, spite and bullying are pre-requisites there. While there is some occasional unpleasantness here, bikeforums has very little to worry about. Thanks to our moderators and the fact that cycling generates more endorphins than softball.
IT forums are the same. Bikeforums has nothing on them!! I'm in IT and have been for years, but have never got up the courage to ask something on an IT forum. I'll search and read responses, but even if I still have questions the thread will likely have deteriorated into a "what are you? a complete idiot?" thing within about 4 posts, so I won't dare to ask for clarification.
Likes For Machka:
Old 05-25-19, 08:48 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by JW Fas
I never understood the appeal of announcing to the world you're no longer participating. Just disappear gracefully. Why make a big song and dance over it?

Is it so you can inevitably get roasted and haughtily declare, "See? I'm right!"?
Yet on the Fifty-Plus Forum, the disappeared are remembered fondly, and sought out, for example, Anyone hear from STAPFAM these days??
Originally Posted by jppe
STAPFAM was a regular here for a long time but it’s been quite a while since he’s posted
Originally Posted by berner
I've wondered about the bloke myself.Also 10Wheels has nor been heard from in about the same length of time.
Originally Posted by Planemaker
What about the guy who organized the 50+ jersey purchase the last few times?
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
I miss Solveg's posts, and Tom Bombadill always had something interesting to say, too. Easthill in another member I miss...

There were many people that helped me out when I first joined up here. Denver, Stapfam, Jim from Boston, Jim Mueller, Easthill, Miss Kenton, the various Diegos, and a host of others, all got me off to a good start here.

I had some great mentors when I joined up, everyone here was supportive and encouraging to me...

Bill
Originally Posted by bikemig
This is a great thread.
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Either quoting a member, or using a "Mention" with the "@" character ahead of their screen name is flushing the, Once Forgotten members out of their holes...

Bill
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Anyone hear from STAPFAM these days??

For those Fifty-Plus and older, I'm reminded of that frequently repeated 1960 TV version of Peter Pan with Mary Martin, in which Tinkerbelle was fading away, and Peter Pan pleaded with the TV audience,"If you believe, clap your hands; don't let Tink die."
Originally Posted by Rowan
This thread is just wonderful. And yeah, Stapfam is one of the people who I do miss a little here. But it has been excellent to see some other people posting here who haven't in a while.

Any chance they can stick around for a while?
Keep clapping.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-25-19 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-25-19, 08:59 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
IT forums are the same. Bikeforums has nothing on them!! I'm in IT and have been for years, but have never got up the courage to ask something on an IT forum. I'll search and read responses, but even if I still have questions the thread will likely have deteriorated into a "what are you? a complete idiot?" thing within about 4 posts, so I won't dare to ask for clarification.
Funny bc it's 100% true; and IT guys must also play a lot of softball.

I can't remember exactly how the saying goes, but it's a "programming wisdom" thing: "To get the right answer to a question, post the wrong answer on the internet, and stand back."
Old 05-25-19, 09:03 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Stay in long enough, and you will come to recognize that pretty much every internet forum is the same. Why wouldn't it be? The posts are (mostly) made by people, and while there are a whole lot of those, there aren't really that many unique types. So regardless of the pursuit, every forum will be populated by a series of tropes: the internet tough guy, the guy who only makes snarky/witty remarks, the guy yelling to USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION, the guy constantly driving up his post count, etc. But most notably, the thing that gets under the skins of those who have been around a while but still haven't learned to follow the Way of Elsa® (that is: Let It Go) the shiny brand new member who just wants to ask a question. It does not occur to them that the same pool of questions has been asked hundreds upon hundreds of times. The just want to know why something isn't working, or how to make something work better.

Internet forums are like a sociological experiment conducted by no one. I often wonder how the online persona meshes with the real-world person. I met a fellow BF member in person for the first time a few years ago, and he made a remark something along the lines of, "You know, you're exactly what I imagined from your posts." I still have no idea if that was intended as a compliment, but I absolutely took it as one. I wouldn't post anything here I wouldn't say aloud to anyone. Some other members? I don't think the same would be true.
Old 05-25-19, 09:11 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Email notification? What email notification???

I turned the email notification off ages ago.

Putting a person on the ignore list means that when you read a thread, you don't see their responses ... unless someone else quotes them. So if the OP had you on ignore, he would not see your post, but he would see it here because I quoted you.

So if you suspect that someone has another person on ignore ... quote the "ignored" person. That way the person who put that person on ignore won't miss out on the ignored person's thread.
Old 05-25-19, 09:23 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by JW Fas
I never understood the appeal of announcing to the world you're no longer participating. Just disappear gracefully. Why make a big song and dance over it? Is it so you can inevitably get roasted and haughtily declare, "See? I'm right!"?
The appeal derives from the same pompous attitude that drives announcing the poster's alleged astuteness by being the first to post "****" or the popcorn eating smilie on threads in which they have nothing to offer. Somewhat related to the tendency by some of the same posters to shout "troll" at those they suspect of unworthy contributions to BF.
Old 05-25-19, 10:14 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by bikeme
This forum seems to have a few know-it-all, snarky bullies on it that make it unpleasant to use.
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Stay in long enough, and you will come to recognize that pretty much every internet forum is the same. Why wouldn't it be?

The posts are (mostly) made by people, and while there are a whole lot of those, there aren't really that many unique types.

So regardless of the pursuit, every forum will be populated by a series of tropes: the internet tough guy, the guy who only makes snarky/witty remarks, the guy yelling to USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION, the guy constantly driving up his post count, etc....

Internet forums are like a sociological experiment conducted by no one. I often wonder how the online persona meshes with the real-world person.

I met a fellow BF member in person for the first time a few years ago, and he made a remark something along the lines of, "You know, you're exactly what I imagined from your posts."

I still have no idea if that was intended as a compliment, but I absolutely took it as one. I wouldn't post anything here I wouldn't say aloud to anyone. Some other members? I don't think the same would be true.
I have posted (link) about meeting other members of BF face to face, but here is one I would not want to meet:
In 2013, I got involved in one of the most hostile brouhahas I have ever read on BikeForums…about paragraphs! My adversary shall remain nameless.

On a now-closed thread ["How Do You Communicate on Forums vs Face-to-Face"]in a reply to a long, unbroken post I wrote:
Paragraphs, please.

PS: I did read your post, in its entirety.
Originally Posted by xxx
I wouldn't spend near as much time with you in person, let alone stop for paragraphs. ****, I might even let go of punctuation in person, except when you feel the heel of my boot hit your chin
Complete with a graphic illustration.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-25-19 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-25-19, 10:31 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,451 Times in 1,823 Posts
That's the toe of a boot hitting a lip, so yes, obviously, the guy was a complete moron.
Old 05-25-19, 10:33 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by xxx
I wouldn't spend near as much time with you in person, let alone stop for paragraphs. ****, I might even let go of punctuation in person, except when you feel the heel of my boot hit your chin
Complete with a graphic illustration
Originally Posted by Maelochs
That's the toe of a boot hitting a lip, so yes, obviously, the guy was a complete moron.
The picture of the hit is of the follow through.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-25-19 at 12:11 PM. Reason: added quote by xxx
Old 05-25-19, 11:45 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
HTFU and grow some thicker skin. If you can't put up with annoying people on internet forums how are you ever going to deal with annoying people in real world ??
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 05-25-19, 12:24 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
Pretty dull place if everyone was nice and cordial toward one another. It's a great place to ask bike-related questions and learn something, but also great for the drama.
Old 05-25-19, 12:43 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

.[color=#333333]The picture of the hit is of the follow through.
Well ... since it is Pro Wrestling ... it is all absolutely 100 percent real.
Old 05-25-19, 12:44 PM
Maelochs

Chief Jay Strong bow ... Bruno Sammartino ....
Old 05-25-19, 01:08 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Maybe we could have an IT subforum here instead?
Old 05-25-19, 01:12 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 175 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
The ignore list is a wonderful thing.
It's not that wonderful , you put the persons name on it but you still see the persons name just not the post .
Old 05-25-19, 03:33 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeme
This forum seems to have a few know-it-all, snarky bullies on it that make it unpleasant to use. It's no surprise, forums of all topics have them. In response, I will no longer engage them and instead try to be nice, encouraging, and helpful to others.
Good plan. Words to live by. 👍
Old 05-25-19, 03:45 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts
The problem when someone like fietsbob is the 1st to reply to your thread, his vague incoherence dilutes down the relevancy of the original question. It is especially counter-productive on the mechanics forum where I am often seeking real feedback but not as a novice. Many of us are reasonably accomplished mechanics already.

Also certain members feel compelled to act like authorities on topics where they have strong opinions contrary to the OP. It is pretty toxic to the process of finding real, creative solutions to problems.

The recent thread about down tube shifting in the general cycling forum was a good example. A select few very opinionated posters took it upon themselves to opine in a most dogmatic way that ultimately made them sound petty & irrelevant.
Old 05-25-19, 03:55 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
I enjoy a little snark and sarcasm. I certainly have some of that in me, but I won't let it define me. I also like the people who really do know-it-all. Know-it-most is probably a better way to put it. I have learned from those folks. Heck, I have built bikes based in part off information I received from them here. Every forum, and I am active on many, has some insufferable jackwipes. It's easy enough not to engage them. I suffer from periods of migraines. I could go look back at the tenor of my posts over a set period and be able to tell if I was suffering migraines. I am here for several reasons. Entertainment, education, enlightenment, encouragement and enjoyment. While I don't always hit the mark, I try to frame my posts with an eye toward that.

It's truly a good forum OP, don't let those with a nasty disposition dissuade you.
Old 05-25-19, 04:36 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by hillyman
That's why we can't have guns here.
We can't?
Old 05-25-19, 04:54 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked 1,835 Times in 1,109 Posts
Originally Posted by BKE
I had a question before even finishing your first sentence but you knew it was coming didn't you? Is it ok to throw in some well meaning sarcastic humor if, like myself, there is usually no SME content to share?
Bucky Kat,
Would you please use the sarcasm font when needed? Smiles, MH
Old 05-25-19, 05:04 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
The ignore list is a wonderful thing.
Indeed, 43 and counting in an increasing tempo on BF of nasty trolling, baiting sock-puppets and an appallingly deep and pervasive Dunning-Kruger effect on so many BF Posters. Other than that: Good to Go.

PS: If I don't respond to your follow-on posts you are already likely Ignored, or should/will be.

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 05-25-19 at 05:33 PM.
Old 05-25-19, 05:37 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
Indeed, 43 and counting in an increasing tempo on BF of nasty trolling, baiting sock-puppets and an appallingly deep and pervasive Dunning-Kruger effect on so many BF Posters. Other than that: Good to Go.

PS: If I don't respond to your follow-on posts you are already likely Ignored, or should/will be.

-Bandera
Testing 1,2,3

Old 05-25-19, 05:44 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked 1,835 Times in 1,109 Posts
Hillyman,
As a long time resident in Bloomington, you likely know me. Worked at the Bike Garage and just about every other shop in town. I still have the painting from the 1991 ride hanging on the wall of my front room. PM me off line, would like to find out more about you. Smiles, MH
Old 05-25-19, 05:58 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by hillyman
Testing 1,2,3
Sorry, the utterly banal is quickly passed over w/o a thought.

To be truly Ignore-able takes a deep and dedicated commitment to deliberate troll-ish divisiveness, being an obvious poisonous sock-puppet, complete ignorance of the topic at hand as well as a fanatic commitment to that ignorance, deliberate ill-feeling, personal animosity, repeated posting on the same old diatribe over and yet over again and yet over again, long winded pointless endless incoherent/un-readable rambles as well as full blown 41-ism and/or being a member of the C&V Period Correct Police.

And yet 43 so far......not so bad, considering.

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 05-25-19 at 06:05 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.