Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Just, wow.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-19, 08:05 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Totally dissed? All I did was post a confused Britney meme. Instead of responding with thoughts, that was the nice approach. Here, ill do it again for your next post...
Old 05-27-19, 08:30 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
In factrather than just self-indulgent and convoluted scripting, my posts are really performance art. I think that the use of quote boxes, which I have not seen elsewhere is a remarkable way to graphically diagram a dialogue and a succinct way to capture the variety of a topic. In addition, I try to liberally use links, rather than quote boxes, for “sidebar” items, to simplify the format of a post.

Personally for me, as a diversion, it’ s challenging to find the quotes in prior threads, and to arrange them in a sequence that makes sense (to me at least). Since my posts are “chapters” in my Journal, it’s worthwhile for me to periodically re-read and reflect.

Besides my own enjoyment, Bike Forums may be the better for all those (nested) quotes. Mentions/quote notification should be #1 priority. It generates more use; not that more people possibly view my profile, but some of us actually like to communicate with each other.
So it's performance art for the gracious betterment of the forum?

This is where I was going to post a meme of a woman doing a cartwheel on the beach for attention.

It's funny and applicable to how you view yourself here, but some would probably cry that a bikini is somehow inappropriate.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 05-27-19, 12:50 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
So it's performance art for the gracious betterment of the forum?

This is where I was going to post a meme of a woman doing a cartwheel on the beach for attention.

It's funny and applicable to how you view yourself here, but some would probably cry that a bikini is somehow inappropriate.
I don’t really undestand the metaphor.

While I can’t reveal my secret identity, I have described myself on Bike Forums as a decades-long, year-round lifestyle cyclist. If you want independent testimonials:
Originally Posted by miss kenton
...Our trip to Boston was more fun than I could have ever anticipated… What a beautiful city--and if you are lucky enough to have someone as conscientious, thoughtful, and generous as Jim from Boston guiding you through that trip, you'll have it made!...
Originally Posted by irwin7638
…Jim was an exceptionally gracious host …
Originally Posted by TheMister
I want to thank Jim for a most enjoyable tour of Boston and vicinity! Miss Kenton and I had a blast!...
Originally Posted by missjean
It was so nice to meet Jim, Diane and her husband! A big thank you to you Jim for organizing, being tour guide and your generous hospitality.
Originally Posted by rtool
Spent a great weekend with Jim (Jimfromboston)….Jim is quite the tour leader. Very knowledgeable about Boston and passed on lots of it’s history.
Old 05-27-19, 01:36 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
Even nice people can develop annoying habits. When these are brought to our attention, we can learn and move on or we can hunker down like an obstinate mule. How we respond can be revealing.
Old 05-27-19, 01:52 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Some should know with the free edition you get snarky know-it-all bullies.
With the premium edition you get advice from experts and tips from the Pros.

Likes For hillyman:
Old 05-27-19, 02:59 PM
le mans
Steel is real

Bikes: Custom - Record Vortex 8 spd Nexus & Mistral Le Mans 3 spd Shimano. Giant Kronos. Raliegh Single Speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Loves me some trolls {bullies**, I been posting on various forums for about tens years.. i first encountered them on the ebay boards. I would take no crap from anybody in RL so i applied that online, trouble with that is on a moderated forum where personal disputes are against their policy i recieved lots of notifications and suspensions for defending myself and newbies who didn't know the background story would view me as the troll.

Now'a'days this same internet gang followed me to another low moderated forum where i just make fun of them.
Old 05-27-19, 04:19 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Fairly certain Jim From Boston doesn't post while wearing a bikini (or doesn't don a special "posting bikini" for posting,) ... but it would be his choice anyway ... who are we to say it would be inappropriate?
Old 05-27-19, 04:23 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Even nice people can develop annoying habits.
like demanding that everyone everywhere do things in fashions which please us ... or assuming that because we don't like a thing, nobody does or can or should, and that therefore that other person should stop, because after all, his or her life Should be focused on making You comfortable ... Duh..
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
How we respond can be revealing.
Not sure anyone is going to win the battle of "Everyone who doesn't use the internet according to my standards is a bad person" argument ... but it does reveal .......
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 05-27-19, 04:43 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
With so many of the aforementioned 43 making guest appearances to prove that they are indeed totally Ignore-able and, best of all, having a free-for-all-donnybrook of Ignore-ability among themselves it's a BF contender for #1 Thread of All-Time.

Have at it 43's!

-Bandera
Old 05-27-19, 05:11 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Not sure anyone is going to win the battle of "Everyone who doesn't use the internet according to my standards is a bad person" argument ... but it does reveal .......
Sorry, I haven't seen evidence anyone in this thread is engaged in that "battle" or "argument." I think what people are saying is that a poster has embraced an affectation that is annoying enough that regardless of the possible value of his input, they aren't going to read it. Nobody has said he's a bad person. In fact he's actually searched and found some testimonials!
Old 05-27-19, 05:21 PM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeme
This forum seems to have a few know-it-all, snarky...
I am not sure about bullying, nor have I done a study on this but, I agree, and I feel there may be a correlation between post frequency and know-it-all, snarkiness.

That might suggest the OP and I fairly snarky, or outlier.
Old 05-27-19, 06:33 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie
This thread is actually a bit on point for me today. I was looking back on an old thread where I was trying to link up a manufacturer of bike intercoms with hopefully people who wanted free ones in exchange a bit of promoting said intercoms while they were touring. Basically a few hundred bucks of equipment just for talking to people and posting pictures, which you do on tour anyway. The first 5 posts or so were by people who didn't want an intercom because they rode alone and thought they were a stupid idea anyway and whatever came into to their heads. I mean why even say anything if you aren't interested. So frustrating, ended up swamping the thread, I gave up and nobody got the swag!
So basically, you're complaining that the forum posters didn't cooperate when you tried to recruit marketers of a product through a thread?

I've seen this kind of thing happen here, and it usually involves someone misunderstanding the purpose of a forum. Of course if you describe a new product, you should expect people to post opinions on the idea.

This isn't Craigslist, people aren't coming to general cycling or most of the other subforums for offers of swag for talking up the product
Old 05-27-19, 06:36 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
I assume all points have been covered by now.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html