Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Dupuytrens Strikes Again lol

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Old 07-10-19, 11:40 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,499 Times in 3,011 Posts

Pinkie curling in fast, pulling the ring finger in with it. Surgery ASAP lol. The longer I wait the worse it will get and the surgery gets more expansive and expensive. The pinkie finger has it the worse and you can see the nodules at the base of my thumb. Now I’m sharing my plight not for sympathy but to share with others that get impeded by dupuytrens contracture. Go Vikings LOL.
Old 07-12-19, 09:10 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11892 Post(s)
Liked 6,487 Times in 3,416 Posts
Moved from 50+.
Old 07-13-19, 02:07 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Has yours been aggravated by manual labor, especially repetitive motion and high impact or vibration? If so, modifying some work techniques might help. It probably won't cure the existing contracture, but might help prevent future occurrences.
Old 07-14-19, 10:03 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Originally Posted by canklecat
Has yours been aggravated by manual labor, especially repetitive motion and high impact or vibration? If so, modifying some work techniques might help. It probably won't cure the existing contracture, but might help prevent future occurrences.
Chainsaws and weed eaters are not friendly basically any machinery that vibrates.. I’ve had several hand operations to correct dupuytrens starting at age 26. Cycling has minimal aggravation so it’s a great sport for me. Wearing my old cycling gloves help when I’m working on stuff. Surgery is the only option that works for now. There are shots that can loosen things up but are basically worthless and expensive most hand surgeons know that and go straight to surgery.
Old 07-15-19, 11:42 AM
fastcarbon

Bikes: SL6 S Works Tarmac, 7 series Trek Madone, Saris Hammer Smart Trainer, Eddie Merckx, Ciocc, Trek 5900, DeRosa, Peugot, Diverge Gravel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 32 Posts

I have had one surgery on left hand and two on the right; last one last year on right. I wait and watch. The left is getting closer but I hope at least another year. The surgery is not a big deal but takes me off the bike for awhile.
Old 07-16-19, 08:33 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Yup, outpatient surgery. Takes them about an hour so I get on the surgical assembly line. Just the recovery takes forever but after about a week I can walk for exercise. I hate the stitch removal process that isn’t pleasant. Now I’m deciding when to have my hand fixed. The sooner the better I know that it is just being ready to get it over with