Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Drivetrain Questions

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Drivetrain Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-03, 08:59 PM
Brahman Bull

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drivetrain Questions

Well this is my first post on the forum!! Hopefully someone will be able to help.

I currently own a 2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara Hardtail and want to upgrade the drivetrain to Shimano XT gear. This is what I ultimately have in mind:

1. XT Brake kit w/ rapid fire
2. XT Mega 9 Rear Derailleur
3. Xt Front Derailleur Top swing (Do they make it in top pull 34-9?
4. XT 9 spd cassette (11-34)

Is there anything else that I would need to buy in order to make my bike a short shifting animal or does this sound good?
Thanks in advance for everyones input.
Old 01-10-03, 09:18 PM
MikeOK
Yo

Bikes: 2003 Yeti AS-R, 2018 Waltly ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You will have a very nice rig. About the only thing I can suggest is to make sure you get the right front derailleur. There are a bunch of them- TP/TS (top pull, top swing), well I was gonna list more but it's a long list, would be easier to link to an example:

Some der's

You will want to look at the specs for your bike to be sure. Also, it's a little pricey, but I recommend getting the XTR cassette. It's part titanium, and has lots more weight saving holes milled into it than the XT and IMO it's worth the extra cash. Good luck with your bike. Oh, and another thing, you will need a few special tools to do this, you might look into getting a bike tool kit, and since you are already thinking of upgrading it sounds like you will need it eventually anyway...
Old 01-10-03, 09:39 PM
Brahman Bull

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MikeOK - Thanks for the reply which helps out quite a bit. I was thinking about buying the components from pricepoint.com. Have you heard good or bad things about them? Thanks again and I think I will but the XTR cassette.
Old 01-10-03, 09:48 PM
MikeOK
Yo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I always say first go to your LBS, but if they can't help I like performance and supergo. They are the only ones I can vouch for personally. Here's a links page, you might look for something here:

Links
Old 01-11-03, 06:33 AM
dirtbikedude
Gravity Is Yer Friend

Bikes: Scott Gambler, Scott Ransom, Kona Bear, Bianchi 928 Carbon/Chorus, C'Dale Rize4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey BB, are you ordering over the net or getting the parts from you LBS?

Another thing to consider about the Fr derailer is what size clamp you need. You need to find that out first especially if you are getting your parts off the internet. there are different sizes and one will not fit another.

Slainte
Old 01-11-03, 08:34 AM
pokey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by MikeOK
, but I recommend getting the XTR cassette. It's part titanium, and has lots more weight saving holes milled into it than the XT and IMO it's worth the extra cash. ..
Titanium cogs just wear out faster, and it saves a whole 1oz over the XT.
Old 01-11-03, 08:41 AM
MikeOK
Yo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They may wear a little faster, but they are way more than an ounce lighter than XT, I'm not sure exactly how much but that will be on my list to look up today. Besides, the "cool factor" is way up there...

edit: okay I am occasionally wrong, not very often but I will concede just this one time- 38 grams lighter, that's 1.34 oz. They are still way cooler

Last edited by MikeOK; 01-11-03 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-11-03, 01:57 PM
fubar5
0^0

Bikes: Redline Monocog,Surly Crosscheck, Lemond Reno

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you want a fast shifting bike, put SRAM parts on there. I just went from rapidfire to SRAM and it(SRAM) is waaay faster. The other and fastest option, is to get rid of all those pansy gears and go one-speed.
Old 01-12-03, 03:35 PM
a2psyklnut

Bikes: Lots

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Couple of thoughts:

First of all, I actually agree w/Pokey and disagree with MikeOK, (sorry dude). I would NOT pay the extra for an XTR.
You can probably buy two XT's for the price of a Titanium XTR. I've also bent some of the cogs on an XTR over something I wouldn't expect to bend a cog over. (It was a freak thing anyway, and may have bent an XT).

Secondly, I would recommend getting the seperate shifter pods vs. the shifter/brake lever combo. If you ever decide to go to discs, you'll want the seperate one. Also, the weight isn't significant.

The only other thing I would recommend is a SRAM Power link for the chain. I've heard numerous times of people complaining on them coming apart, but I've been using them on all my bikes and have never had a problem. Plus, cleaning the chain is so easy when you just plop it into a solvent tank and let it sit, vs. trying to clean it on the bike.

L8R
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
Old 01-12-03, 04:01 PM
MikeOK
Yo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally posted by a2psyklnut
First of all, I actually agree w/Pokey and disagree with MikeOK, (sorry dude).
LOL!. Okay, okay. But at least slap an XTR sticker on it, only we will know

About pricepoint, I was looking for a particular brand of tires for my new bike, did a search, and pricepoint had the way lowest price I found. I went ahead and ordered them so in a couple days I can either vouch for them or not. I'll post back here...
Old 01-13-03, 10:57 AM
a2psyklnut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've ordered a lot of stuff from Pricepoint, and have never had any problems. JensonUSA is good, but if you order components, they usually do not arrive in original packaging telling me they buy out stock from manufacturers.

L8R
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
Old 01-13-03, 01:56 PM
slcpunk21

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
one other thing make sure your chainrings are 9speed compatible! If they aren't your gonna have issues with the 9speed chain not meshing with the chianrings properly! Might actually end up snapping the chain. Just one thing else to look for.
Old 01-13-03, 03:41 PM
MikeOK
Yo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dang this is getting complicated!
Old 01-13-03, 04:05 PM
slcpunk21

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey it's actually not that complicated...here's what ya need

Xt brake levers
XT brakes
XT shifter pods
XT rear der
XT Front....check your local bike shop..they'll be able to help ya with that
XT cassette, I work at a shop and I try to talk people outa the XTR..it just isn't worth it
9 speed chain of your choice. I perfer sram
Rings for you cranks that are 9speed complatible

Hope that helps

Last edited by slcpunk21; 01-13-03 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-13-03, 11:29 PM
Brahman Bull

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks alot guys for all of your help!! Now I am more confident with the order that I will place very soon. Thanks again!!!

MikeOK - Definately let me know how Pricepoint works out.
Old 01-13-03, 11:36 PM
Kev

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've ordered from pricepoint before, was a very smooth transaction.
Old 01-13-03, 11:53 PM
Airborne
Sir Crashalot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Brahman Bull
MikeOK - Thanks for the reply which helps out quite a bit. I was thinking about buying the components from pricepoint.com. Have you heard good or bad things about them? Thanks again and I think I will but the XTR cassette.
i buy from pricepoint all the time. love them!! spent at least 1K there this year
Old 01-13-03, 11:54 PM
Airborne
Sir Crashalot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by slcpunk21
hey it's actually not that complicated...here's what ya need

Xt brake levers
XT brakes
XT shifter pods
XT rear der
XT Front....check your local bike shop..they'll be able to help ya with that
XT cassette, I work at a shop and I try to talk people outa the XTR..it just isn't worth it
9 speed chain of your choice. I perfer sram
Rings for you cranks that are 9speed complatible

Hope that helps

i am all LX on my ride, but i like the SRAM chain too. got a SRAM 9.0 cassette in the back that was cheap and is swell too.
Old 01-13-03, 11:55 PM
Airborne
Sir Crashalot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by slcpunk21
one other thing make sure your chainrings are 9speed compatible! If they aren't your gonna have issues with the 9speed chain not meshing with the chianrings properly! Might actually end up snapping the chain. Just one thing else to look for.
the stock tassajara is 9-spd compatable
Old 01-14-03, 08:04 AM
WoodyUpstate
xc AND road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
XT v-brakes squeal like stuck pigs. I read the reviews before I bought them, but bought them anyway. I tried everything to stop the noise myself, then started going to shops. Most tried the same things, or laughed at me.

Avid SD7s are on my bike now. They are quiet, poweful and lighter than XT v-brakes.

The XTR rear der is a wonderful thing. Look for one on eBay and save a ton.

XT shifters are nice, but LX shifters are a much better bargain. the XTs are only 8g lighter, but cost 40% more. Save money hear and go with an XTR rear.

Price Point, Supergo, Performance, Colorado Cyclist and Cambria have all given me excellent service mail order via 'phone or web, but if you're eBay savvy you can knock 30-50% off the mail order price.
Old 01-14-03, 09:40 AM
Airborne
Sir Crashalot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by WoodyUpstate
XT v-brakes squeal like stuck pigs. I read the reviews before I bought them, but bought them anyway. I tried everything to stop the noise myself, then started going to shops. Most tried the same things, or laughed at me.

Avid SD7s are on my bike now. They are quiet, poweful and lighter than XT v-brakes.

i ride XTR V-brakes and they are swell if anyone cares
Old 01-14-03, 10:16 AM
a2psyklnut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never had a problem with mine. I "toed" them in and they worked great. Here's the way I did it:

Loosen nut holding brake pad. Release spring from behind brake arm. This causes the other spring to pull the brake arm/pad you're working on, hard against the rim. Insert a credit card along the back 1/3 of the brake pad. Move the pad around to be sure it's moved to the proper "toe-in" position. Align pad with rim, squeeze brake lever to "Mash" against rim(with credit card wedged between pad and rim). And tighten nut! Replace spring behind arm.

Repeat on the other side.

Once pads are "toed" in, check for rim clearance, adjust cable if necessary and verify both arms move equally when squeezing lever.

If they do not, tighten spring tension adjusting screw on the brake are that doesn't move in 1/2 turn increments untill they move equally.

Hope this helps!
L8R
Old 01-14-03, 10:28 AM
jekyllrider
reddingmountainbiking.com

Bikes: Cannondale Jekyll 3000sl, Cannondale F500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since your bike came with a 9 speed drivetrain, you don't have to worry about changing the chainrings, chain, or cassette unless you want to. You will maybe have better shifting with a Shimano cassette vs the Sram that came on it. If you are doing these upgrades for weight reasons, the crank spec'ed on your bike weighs 960 grams!! Last years LX and XT were in the 640 range. That would be a 10 + ounce weight savings. You might consider Avid brakes (SD-7's or higher so you get the Rim Wrangler pads) vs. XT, as every set of XT's I have been around squeal like a stuck pig. I totally agree with the separate levers and shifters, a bit more cash but way more options for changes later.
Old 01-14-03, 10:40 AM
slcpunk21

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
doh...i mis-read the initial post...i thought it was an older bike not a 2003. So yes you don't have to worry about rings and chain on it, the ones you have will work just fine just like jekyllrider said.

Also the XT v's work just fine as long as you set them up properly like a2psyklnut said...except I wouldn't go with a credit card thinkness...go with something thinner to set up the toe-in. A credit card may cause to much toe-in and the pads could wear faster and not as evenly. But if it doesn't work..then try something thicker. Later all.
Old 01-14-03, 11:11 AM
WoodyUpstate
xc AND road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by a2psyklnut

Never had a problem with mine. I "toed" them in and they worked great.
Been there, done that. Even spoke to the Shimano tent at Mt. Snow NORBA and they confirmed it was a problem, and, amazingly, had no answer! They "suggested" I install Shimano's carbon fiber brake booster. Even changing pads didn't help.

I have a feeling that Shimano may have changed the spec on the XT v-brake without telling anyone to correct the problem. Interestingly, neither the LX nor the XTR brakes suffer from this malady.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.