Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Serious problems with driver aggression, us road bikers need YOUR help!

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-17-06, 05:47 PM
scrible

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We live in Mustang, Oklahoma which is a suburb of Oklahoma City. Recently, driver aggression towards road cyclists as escalated to a dangerous level. Cars, trucks, and motorcycles show no respect for us road bikers. They pass us, yell obscene comments, blare their horns, etc all while disobeying road laws and endangering the lives of cyclists, other traffic, and themselves.

Just today we had a truck that followed us a ways and had ample time to safely pass us. We were doing about 25mph in a group of three. After following us a ways he revs his engine up, flies past us in a non passing zone and nearly hits a oncoming car in the other lane. During this time he is so close he nearly runs us off the road. After passing us he slows down greatly, puts his breaks on and starts yelling, swearing at us, and flipping us off. He then waits until we get to the stop sign ahead... continues yelling at us and then speeds off.

Now, this wouldn't be a huge deal if it wasn't for the fact that this kind of thing happens more than daily. Each time we go out and ride we have to be overly cautious of motorists who have absolutely no respect for us or what we are doing.

Due to the fact that riders around here have such a problem with motorists, many pack up each day and drive fairly long distances to places that are friendly and have accomidations for cyclists.

We have been trying to have bike trails or some other form of accomidations put in for cyclists in this area. We have spoken to the city council and many officials in regards to this, but our words have fallen on deaf ears.

There is a good number of road cyclists in this area. Does someone have to get killed before someone takes action? How long is this going to continue?

Our cycling group wants to do something about this. We need help and ideas on how to gain support in this area. We need ways of getting the word out there before someone gets seriously injured or killed. I will get the emails of officials in this area and will post them. They will need a good number of people bringing this to their attention or nothing is going to happen.

Will you guys help us with this before someone gets seriously hurt or killed? We would also very much appreciate any ideas on how we should go about advocating this cause.

Thanks.
Old 06-17-06, 05:59 PM
H1449-6
Former grouch, now happy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What really needs to happen is that a couple of these clowns need to get beaten to a pulp by bikers.

That's not going to happen. So the next best bet is to choose another route.

If you're actually assaulted (put in fear of imminent bodily harm) by one of these hillbilly f*cks, whether driving or outside the car, you can and should file charges. Beeping and gesticulating, I'm afraid, isn't actionable.
Old 06-17-06, 06:01 PM
burbankbiker

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck Fixed Gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That massively sucks. I couldn't imagine where to begin but I would think a visit to Mustang City Council to open serious discussions about a bike path network. What you have on your side is that riders and motorists probably both want that, for their own reasons.

I've found personally that motorists in Los Angeles have become more aggressive towards cyclists as gas prices go up. I think it's because our presence is very challenging to their belief that they have no alternative but to drive. This is especially true during morning commutes. However, as the number of bikers goes up in any area the overall safety of biking goes up because motorists become more accustomed to sharing the road... once they stop throwing tantrums.

Good luck. It's not easy to change the local perception of drivers.
Old 06-17-06, 06:28 PM
Granny
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, you should try riding in the DC area. I'd be happy if drivers here behaved like those you describe!

Originally Posted by scrible
We live in Mustang, Oklahoma which is a suburb of Oklahoma City. Recently, driver aggression towards road cyclists as escalated to a dangerous level. Cars, trucks, and motorcycles show no respect for us road bikers. They pass us, yell obscene comments, blare their horns, etc all while disobeying road laws and endangering the lives of cyclists, other traffic, and themselves.

Just today we had a truck that followed us a ways and had ample time to safely pass us. We were doing about 25mph in a group of three. After following us a ways he revs his engine up, flies past us in a non passing zone and nearly hits a oncoming car in the other lane. During this time he is so close he nearly runs us off the road. After passing us he slows down greatly, puts his breaks on and starts yelling, swearing at us, and flipping us off. He then waits until we get to the stop sign ahead... continues yelling at us and then speeds off.

Now, this wouldn't be a huge deal if it wasn't for the fact that this kind of thing happens more than daily. Each time we go out and ride we have to be overly cautious of motorists who have absolutely no respect for us or what we are doing.

Due to the fact that riders around here have such a problem with motorists, many pack up each day and drive fairly long distances to places that are friendly and have accomidations for cyclists.

We have been trying to have bike trails or some other form of accomidations put in for cyclists in this area. We have spoken to the city council and many officials in regards to this, but our words have fallen on deaf ears.

There is a good number of road cyclists in this area. Does someone have to get killed before someone takes action? How long is this going to continue?

Our cycling group wants to do something about this. We need help and ideas on how to gain support in this area. We need ways of getting the word out there before someone gets seriously injured or killed. I will get the emails of officials in this area and will post them. They will need a good number of people bringing this to their attention or nothing is going to happen.

Will you guys help us with this before someone gets seriously hurt or killed? We would also very much appreciate any ideas on how we should go about advocating this cause.

Thanks.
Old 06-17-06, 06:34 PM
incipit

Bikes: Trek 4500, Fuji Royale, Specialized allez comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny, I live and ride in NY, famed for it's short tempered drivers and have seen nothing that even comes close to that kind of behavior... Sounds like someone needs cleat marks in their forehead!
Old 06-17-06, 06:38 PM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Helmet mounted video cameras and frequent trips to the police with video of cars driven dangerously. Show the videos to your city council members too or better yet, invite them to ride with you to see what you're talking about.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 06-17-06, 06:42 PM
adgrant

Bikes: Still researching

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by incipit
Funny, I live and ride in NY, famed for it's short tempered drivers and have seen nothing that even comes close to that kind of behavior... Sounds like someone needs cleat marks in their forehead!
NYC drivers are used to crazy food delivery cyclists and aggressive pedestrians so any normal cyclist won't worry them.
Old 06-17-06, 06:45 PM
incipit

Bikes: Trek 4500, Fuji Royale, Specialized allez comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm out on the south shore of Long Island and not in NYC. I just didn't think that there would be that type of problem in Mustang, Oklahoma...
Old 06-17-06, 07:01 PM
Boogs
Kelly Drive Amateur

Bikes: '86 Super Sport with mods

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Philly drivers, except in North Philly (which is like medieval Europe in terms of ignorance), are generally good.

Besides, as a Philadelphian, I have the ultimate insult at my disposal for bad drivers...."Go back to Jersey, *********!"

Last edited by Boogs; 06-17-06 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-17-06, 07:18 PM
fuerein

Bikes: 2005 Specialized Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Granny
Hey, you should try riding in the DC area. I'd be happy if drivers here behaved like those you describe!
That's weird... I live in Alexandria and all the drivers I've met in the DC area have been quite cordial. Most will even leave an open space in line at a light where I am (makes starting so much easier when there isn't a car next to you). Granted I only really ride on the street in Alexandria, maybe Alexandria drivers are just nicer to bicycles.
Old 06-17-06, 07:42 PM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Bikes: See sig

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oklahoma must have pretty lenient conceal carry laws. Pack some heat, and if it happens again, BLAM. Using a vehicle in the manner described makes it a deadly weapon, and you have the right to defend yourself.

Go ahead and flame me, but that's how I feel when I read stories like this.

my bike page - my journal
Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega
Old 06-17-06, 08:19 PM
damage24
stupid newbie

Bikes: 2005 Giant TCR C3, 2003 Raleigh M50 DX "the tank"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride mostly in south Oklahoma City/Moore/Norman and while there is the occasional jerk, most people are fairly courteous. There are several clubs that ride around here and I see cyclists almost daily when I'm driving. Maybe people down here are more used to seeing cyclists on "their" roads so they behave better? I don't know. I've been cussed at, flipped off, had oncoming traffic cross over their lane to play chicken with me and even had a beer bottle thrown at me for no reason. (they missed badly, but it was still a very wtf?? moment) It sucks and is dangerous but those people are few and far between. Just gotta deal with it.

I lived in Yukon just a couple years ago (which borders Mustang) and I don't recall ever seeing anyone out riding, though I hadn't started riding yet myself.

They're supposedly building a 13 mile bike/running path around the OK river somewhere near downtown. It may even be done already. That wouldn't be too bad a drive for you (or me) but probably wouldn't be much of a challenge either.

I guess the best advice I could give you would be to stay off the busy 2-lane roads. Out that way, there oughta be plenty of alternatives.
Old 06-17-06, 08:31 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Granny
Dude, DC is a pretty nice place to ride. I grew up in Ohio and rode there before I moved here, and in the 3 years I rode a road bike in Ohio, I had more redneck encounters than I have in the past 7 years in Maryland.

DrPete
Old 06-18-06, 06:53 AM
galen_52657
Banned.

Bikes: 2001 Look KG 241, 1989 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp, 1986 Gatane Performanc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Building bike paths???

How frigging pathetic are you? That's not going to happen anyway and it would only make your problem worse as once you have one stinking bike path, every moron is going to expect the cyclists to be on the path at all times. Let me tell you how friggin dumb people are. Yesterday I was out road riding with 3 other guys. We are just south of Loch Raven Reservoir, stop at a stop light and there are 3 mountain bikers at the light who are about to head into the trail just up ahead. Light turns green, we go, mountain bikers go with us for a while and then turn off the road at the trail head. We are not more than a few hundred yards up the road - very light traffic - when this old woman behind us toots the horn, pulls up next to us, rolls down the window and says "you boys missed the trial" and points back.

Next time some a$$hat pulls that crap, take out your cell phone, photo the vehicle and tag and call the cops right on the spot. Meet up with the cops and give a report.

Do this several times. Follow up with the cops as to what action they have taken (they should at least go talk to the clown). Then, write a letter to the Police Commissioner making them aware of the magnitude of the problem.

If none of that works, follow cydwase's advice and pack some heat and be prepared to use it to defend yourself.

Last edited by galen_52657; 06-18-06 at 07:02 AM.
Old 06-18-06, 06:59 AM
shoerhino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jyossarian
Helmet mounted video cameras and frequent trips to the police with video of cars driven dangerously. Show the videos to your city council members too or better yet, invite them to ride with you to see what you're talking about.
I was thinking the same thing...
Old 06-18-06, 07:17 AM
nova
hill hater

Location: norton ohio 5.5 miles from center road tow path trail head

Bikes: cannondale t400 1987 model and a raleigh gran prix from 1973

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks.

I say get a gun and next time some one does this crap blow em away..... j/k of corse.

You mentioned things about them not obeying the laws so obviously law changes will do nothing as they already feel safe breaking any law they choose. So what this mens is laws need to be enforced better that are alrteady inplace. Personaly what id do is every time i see such a idiot id call the cops leaving out the part about cyclist. Justy say you just witnessed some moron running some one off the road.

This way the cops will take action not knowing i it was cyclist or ped or another car. If they say you filed a false report say no i didnt i said he ran some one off the road not what kind of vehical that person was on or in.
Old 06-18-06, 07:24 AM
nova
hill hater

Location: norton ohio 5.5 miles from center road tow path trail head

Bikes: cannondale t400 1987 model and a raleigh gran prix from 1973

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cydewaze
Oklahoma must have pretty lenient conceal carry laws. Pack some heat, and if it happens again, BLAM. Using a vehicle in the manner described makes it a deadly weapon, and you have the right to defend yourself.

Go ahead and flame me, but that's how I feel when I read stories like this.
Sucks but thats where were headed i think. Police judges etc dont ever take the cycist sdide in these matters on the rare ocasion some one is punished for kiling a cyclist the punishment is no where near what they would get if they killed some one at their mail box.

I guess non cyclist see us the same way as a dog sees us. To dogs and other animals we are not seen as a human being on a bike were seen as a odd animal or object that moves. ( its why dogs tend to chase us.)
Old 06-18-06, 07:50 AM
sgtsmile
Speed Demon *roll eyes*

Bikes: 1998 specialized s-works mtn bike / 2005 Kona Jake the Snake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh how quick some are to suggest fire arms. Hope you all like jail. Get a grip. Imagine the headlines and the retaliation from other road users...., think about your odds of actually hitting a car while riding, how far away a car would be by the time you stop and get our your gun, what the chances of over penetration are. Use your ****ing head.

To the OP: One thing was not clear from your post, and may have no bearing on what happened. Were you in single file? sometimes, we can minimize our risk through riding behaviours. It does not sound like this would have helped much in this particular case since that driver was clearly a few bricks short of a load. The advocacy suggestions were good, as is the idea of photos if you can get them. Ignore the morons suggesting guns, that is the path taken by those wishing to escalate violence and make it worse for EVERY bike an other road user on the road. Check out the advocacy forum, there might be some good ideas for you to consider there. Good luck.
Old 06-18-06, 07:51 AM
jjmolyet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wear this jersey....problem solved!

You have a serious problem, you have a Right to that road, get plate #s take cell phone pics, carry small video and document, when all else fails, back up what is written on the back of this jersey!
2008 Gary Fisher X-Caliber 29er
.........that's how I Roll.
Old 06-18-06, 10:19 AM
Granny
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ya, MD is much better than VA in my limited experience. 90% of my riding is in Ffx/PW counties.

Originally Posted by DrPete
Dude, DC is a pretty nice place to ride. I grew up in Ohio and rode there before I moved here, and in the 3 years I rode a road bike in Ohio, I had more redneck encounters than I have in the past 7 years in Maryland.

DrPete
Old 06-18-06, 10:50 AM
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you dont single file up when cars come by you better get used to this
response from hillbillies. When I was in PA I had the misfortune of often being stuck
behind militant roadies who wouldnt move over when traffic stacked up behind them
on back roads. Since Im a rider I would never openly vent my frustration but most
people are not this patient. If this doesnt apply to you, sorry to waste the post,
if it does, I would suggest moving over. Sucks, but thats the way it is. Nothing
will change that.
Old 06-18-06, 06:28 PM
Mr. Clean

Bikes: '05 Specialized Allez, '70-something Raleigh Comp GS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride southeast of Mustang pretty regularly and have never had a problem remotely like that. Go figure.
Old 06-18-06, 07:06 PM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Bikes: See sig

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sgtsmile
Oh how quick some are to suggest fire arms. Hope you all like jail. Get a grip. Imagine the headlines and the retaliation from other road users...., think about your odds of actually hitting a car while riding, how far away a car would be by the time you stop and get our your gun, what the chances of over penetration are. Use your ****ing head.
Thanks, right on cue.

But sure, we're quick to suggest fire arms. After all, we lose less than a thousand of our own per year. I mean, we shouldn't be complaining at all, should we? I'm sure if it was your spouse or your little girl they were scraping off the pavement, you'd say, "Hey, accidents happen. No hard feelings."

Of course guns aren't the answer, and I have no desire to own a gun, much less ride with one, but we have to get f-ing serious about this problem. I bet at least 75% of the population in the US thinks that bicycles are not legally allowed on the road. Probably more.

Get a grip? Yeah, we need to get a grip, a grip on this problem. What we NEED is to have reminders on the evening news, on the radio, and on billboards reminding drivers to share the road, and that there will be serious legal reprocussions if they do not.

Aggressive driving is aggressive driving, whether it's against another car, a bike, a pedestrian, or a motor scooter.

my bike page - my journal
Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega
Old 06-18-06, 07:18 PM
scrible

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jjmolyet
Wear this jersey....problem solved!

You have a serious problem, you have a Right to that road, get plate #s take cell phone pics, carry small video and document, when all else fails, back up what is written on the back of this jersey!
Just curious, who sells that?

Old 06-18-06, 09:24 PM
Granny
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why don't we get jerseys for Team Smith & Wesson

Just curious, who sells that?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.