Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Long Chains

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Long Chains

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-05, 08:25 AM
GeezerGeek

Bikes: 1993 Infinity LWB, Bacchetta

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Long Chains

Most recumbents have long chins. Some bikes suspend chains by adding hangers, some route the chains through tubes, and some just let them hang.

There has to be friction when a chain rubs against the inside of a tube. It takes work to turn an idler. A long freely suspended chain hangs low and bounces and so there is friction in every link. What are the advantages and disadvantages to each?

What is the best way to deal with a long chain?
Old 05-14-05, 08:28 AM
GeezerGeek

Bikes: 1993 Infinity LWB, Bacchetta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Infinity's chain just hangs and bounces. I never feel it touching me but at the end of every ride there is a grease stain on my ankle.
Old 05-14-05, 09:33 AM
Gary Mc

Bikes: Greenspeed GTO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Greenspeed trike has both tubes and an idler wheel. I am sure that you are right in saying that some resistance has to result. But, if one is not racing I wonder if it is enough to worry about. I suspect that the trike's weight when it comes to climbing is more of an issue than tubes or idler wheels.

Gary
Old 05-14-05, 06:43 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I currently have my Baron's return side chain dropped, and the power side chain tube is off. I figure I saved maybe 5W at the most, probably less. But it is lighter now and looks cool.
Old 05-17-05, 07:07 AM
Floyd
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Linear LWB and everyone comments on my 'long chain'. Yes, it just hangs and swings but there is no problem with it coming off the sprokets or any such thing so why be bothered with anything else added. peace
Old 05-19-05, 07:54 PM
Bikewer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My home-built "No-Weld" job uses a complicated drive train with two chains, two cranks, etc. I was just looking at this with some string, and wondering about using one long chain. Looks like I need to route the top "drive" side so that it clears the rear triangle (It's one of those cheap rear-suspension frames) while the lower run would have to be routed to clear the fork.

I've already made a chain guide using roller-blade wheels for the regular routing.

Anyone familiar with a setup llike this that I could look at for some ideas?