Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

CX'ers in Ottawa

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-10, 09:51 PM
pcfxer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CX'ers in Ottawa

Hello all,

Can someone help me out with some information or point me to someone who knows the information I need for cyclocross in Ottawa? I have been reading everything on www.cyclocross.org but I'm not getting anything else on their. I want to use my old mountain bike so I need a rule list before I buy parts for my old mountain bike and do the entire registration bit.

The website claims that there is a race organizer but I haven't seen a response from either of the two contacts on the site. I'm stoked because I haven't even competed in a road race simply because I wasn't ready for it. This past month I've made huge changes to my training structure (I have some now) and feel confident enough to compete on some level and see where I am at. For now, I see CX races being the best bet since most road races (the ones I know of) are still going on.
Old 10-07-10, 02:46 PM
arctic hawk

Bikes: 2001 Trek XO1, 2009 Ridley Crossbow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm surprised as Bob is quite quick to answer any questions. You can try asking questions over at https://www.mtbkanata.com/
Hopefully, Joe or one of the others will be able to help you.
I know for certain that the bar ends are a no-no for a mountain bike.
Old 10-09-10, 03:32 PM
Grimlock
Frozen in carbonite

Bikes: '85 Full Cycle Cycle.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beyond bar-ends, I don't think there are any other MTB specific rules. I raced last week on a friend's hardtail and my coworker rode his rigid 26er without incident.
Old 10-11-10, 09:45 AM
pcfxer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, the registration is being posted on the OCA site.

I figured the bar-ends would not be allowed they seemed painful in a fall or an accidental bump.

Lastly if I get my machine up in time I'd like to go to the October 31st event. If anyone has some room and willing to drive it would make my life a LOT easier!
Old 10-17-10, 06:40 PM
arctic hawk

Bikes: 2001 Trek XO1, 2009 Ridley Crossbow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where are you located?
Old 10-24-10, 12:11 PM
pcfxer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by arctic hawk
Where are you located?
arctic hawk, Orleans, very east of Kanata . I just registered a few moments ago !!!!

I've heard flat bars are typically allowed at local events, we shall see if the organizers make a fuss about it (if not I'll buy them coffee or something).
Old 10-25-10, 10:26 AM
tashi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
I rode riser bars in the A race at Britannia, had a real nice time and heard not a word from the officials or other racers about it. It may have been an advantage at times, a disadvantage at others.

If you're modding a mountain bike for cross I'd do your changes in this order:

1. Tires. Schwalbe CX pro's are the only CX tire I could find in 26". Night and day difference from wider mountain tires (even fast ones). I did Britannia on fast 2.0's with clipped knobs and found them surprisingly slidey- they tended to float and wander where the narrower CX tires would cut down and hold their line. I ordered mine from Tall Tree.
2. Fork. Lock out your suspension, or switch to a rigid one.
3. Drop bars: Only worth it if your bike will fit this way and have the parts or can get 'em super cheap, or really want a drop bar mountain bike (not a bad bike to have around here actually). Otherwise, it's too expensive and saving for a CX bike is a better way to go.
3. Race!

It's a fun series, and people don't seem to be taking themselves too seriously out there so I wouldn't worry too much about the UCI regs. You should just get out there and race, the mods will make you faster, but you'll still have a wicked time on whatever you're running currently!
Old 10-25-10, 05:30 PM
pcfxer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tashi
I rode riser bars in the A race at Britannia, had a real nice time and heard not a word from the officials or other racers about it. It may have been an advantage at times, a disadvantage at others.

If you're modding a mountain bike for cross I'd do your changes in this order:

1. Tires. Schwalbe CX pro's are the only CX tire I could find in 26". Night and day difference from wider mountain tires (even fast ones). I did Britannia on fast 2.0's with clipped knobs and found them surprisingly slidey- they tended to float and wander where the narrower CX tires would cut down and hold their line. I ordered mine from Tall Tree.
2. Fork. Lock out your suspension, or switch to a rigid one.
3. Drop bars: Only worth it if your bike will fit this way and have the parts or can get 'em super cheap, or really want a drop bar mountain bike (not a bad bike to have around here actually). Otherwise, it's too expensive and saving for a CX bike is a better way to go.
3. Race!

It's a fun series, and people don't seem to be taking themselves too seriously out there so I wouldn't worry too much about the UCI regs. You should just get out there and race, the mods will make you faster, but you'll still have a wicked time on whatever you're running currently!
1. I got some Club Roost Terra Cross tires, 1.5s but I forgot to order 1.5 tubes so that'll be a while. The bearings in my BB were shot and in my wheels as well (pitted, worn races, the whole bit) the wheels will work but I had to get a new BB. Bar ends are removed and I kind of like it

2. Fork, the bike has been mine since new in 1996 (good old days!).

3. Drop bars will be next year though I was tempted by drop bars for $9 on JensonUSA!

4. Thanks! I will love it, I know that for sure.
Old 11-04-10, 02:01 AM
Chris_W
Likes to Ride Far

Bikes: road+, gravel, commuter/tourer, tandem, e-cargo, folder

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by pcfxer
3. Drop bars will be next year though I was tempted by drop bars for $9 on JensonUSA!
Normally, the bars are not the expensive thing. You'll likely need to change your stem to get the length and/or handlebar clamp size right. Then you'll need levers and shifters for the drop bars. MTB front derailleurs are not compatible with road/cross shifters (unless using bar end shifters), and you need to make sure your brakes match the levers. As said above, saving for a new bike is often the better strategy.