Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Testing a new Lock

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Testing a new Lock

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-11, 03:23 PM
chucky
It's got electrolytes!

Bikes: Self-designed carbon fiber highracer, BikesDirect Kilo WT5, Pacific Cycles Carryme, Dahon Boardwalk with custom Sturmey Archer wheelset

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 531phile
I'm glad someone out there is making the lock out of something other than steel, but it looks really limited as to what sort of fixture you can lock it to. You should have the creator look into that. Mounting looks pretty ghetto. looks like it could scratch up the paint easily on the end near the seatpost.
Yeah, why not just use a titanium chain with a steel padlock? Ti will make the chain resistant to bolt cutters and steel will make the lock resistant to prying/drilling.

A versatile design with the primary weakness of each subcomponent addressed.
Old 02-26-11, 03:31 PM
Titmawz

Bikes: Raleigh Record Ace, Windsor The Hour

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
is that a slim jim ?? it being made of titanium sound appealing but it lack in volume. Great for locking the wheel round the frame but will still need a Ulock to post it up.
Old 04-21-11, 07:58 AM
SCI 
TiGr Lock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If anybody's interested the TiGr Titanium bike lock is now up on www.kickstarter.com here's the URL https://www.kickstarter.com/e/8Xsul/p...l-as-your-bike
Old 04-21-11, 08:26 AM
meanwhile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SCI
Thank you everyone for your interest and constructive comments on our new bike lock. The pictures above are of a prototype with Kevlar padding, production units will use some other kind of protective coating. The current design and dimensions (.125 thick x 48” long) are the most cost effective at this stage. We plan to launch the lock on Kickstarter.com in mid-April, some of the funds raised will go to production and tooling costs and some of the funds will be used to conduct 3rd party testing, most likely Sold Secure and/or ART.
Did you consider bottlejack resistance at all in this design? B-jacks are the way that most high end u-locks are defeated now. Because your lock leaves a space in the middle where a jack can easily be placed, it looks as if it is impossible to be used safely. Unlike a conventional mini-D, which can be used like this:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html

..so that the central space is filled.

So -

- Have you tested with a b-jack?

- How many tons of force will the lock take before failing?

- Have you repeated the testing with a loop of decent rope tied to each side of the jacking point to reduce lock flex? Or a strong security chain could work even better, ironically..

Sold Secure is a joke verging on a scam. "Gold" locks command a premium for extra resistance to tactics that aren't the real threat, while the methods and hardware that skilled thieves use are kept safely away. I'd love for your lock to work as well as a 2kg mini-D, but unless it can survive a bottlejack attack then it is just going to provide an easy target to thieves.

But I'd love for this to work - good luck!

Last edited by meanwhile; 04-21-11 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-21-11, 08:29 AM
meanwhile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chucky
Yeah, why not just use a titanium chain with a steel lock
Probably because the chain will be worth more than the bike. I'd anglegrinderize the lock, take the chain, and leave the bike - why bother with a crappy Cervelo, Rivendell or Roubaix when people are giving titanium chains away???

(Well, at least if you apply the normal "Bicycle industry Tax" for upgrading to ti...)

Last edited by meanwhile; 04-21-11 at 08:34 AM.
Old 04-21-11, 08:58 AM
RI_Swamp_Yankee
The Fred Menace!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Too long - the lock is unwieldy for anything that doesn't have straight and long top-tubes.

This would make an ideal U-lock replacement, at a foot to a foot and a half - tamper-resistant wheel skewers can protect the front wheels, and the slender, semi-flexible nature of the shackle means it can be more easily stowed than a U-lock, while resistant to bottle-jack attacks (too narrow a gap even for a stubby.)

How tough is the locking mech? Can it hold up to a few minutes of attack with a professional-grade cordless drill?
Old 04-21-11, 10:30 AM
badrad

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
just the other night happened to see a guy with a length of pipe shoved in between a U-Locked bike and just cranking on the pipe. the owner came running out, the would be thief took off. the U-Lock had already started to bend, but the worse of it was the frame and his front rim. probably a few more cranks of the pipe, the U-Lock would be done for.

it looked like that thief didn't care too much if he beat the crap out of the bike in his attempt to steal it, i guess he could still get a few bucks for parts if he got the bike away. when we took a quick look at the guys bike, it looked like he will have to replace the rim, and not sure how he would get the dent out of his frame.
Old 04-23-11, 10:07 AM
SCI 
TiGr Lock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
attack resistance

Other lengths will be available in the future, both longer and shorter. The lock does hold up nicely to drilling attacks (in-house testing). We plan to use some of the funds raised on the www.kickstarter.com project for 3rd party testing. The lock body is fairly small, 1.0" diameter x 1.8" long, so the attacker might be reluctant to drill the hand that's holding the lock during his attack.

The pull strength of the lock body/titanium bow coupling is in excess of 6000 lbs or so.
Old 04-23-11, 10:57 AM
colleen c
I am a caffine girl

Bikes: 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SCI
Thank you everyone for your interest and constructive comments on our new bike lock. The pictures above are of a prototype with Kevlar padding, production units will use some other kind of protective coating. The current design and dimensions (.125 thick x 48" long) are the most cost effective at this stage. We plan to launch the lock on Kickstarter.com in mid-April, some of the funds raised will go to production and tooling costs and some of the funds will be used to conduct 3rd party testing, most likely Sold Secure and/or ART.
Originally Posted by SCI
Other lengths will be available in the future, both longer and shorter. The lock does hold up nicely to drilling attacks (in-house testing). We plan to use some of the funds raised on the www.kickstarter.com project for 3rd party testing. The lock body is fairly small, 1.0" diameter x 1.8" long, so the attacker might be reluctant to drill the hand that's holding the lock during his attack.

The pull strength of the lock body/titanium bow coupling is in excess of 6000 lbs or so.
Since the band thickness is only 0.125" thick, have it been tested to withstand a carbide grit hacksaw blade cutting down on the band through the thin side?
Old 04-23-11, 12:35 PM
SCI 
TiGr Lock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by colleen c
Since the band thickness is only 0.125" thick, have it been tested to withstand a carbide grit hacksaw blade cutting down on the band through the thin side?
I've tested hacksaw attacks with several types of blades including carbide. Because the bow is not well fixtured (not in a vice) the 'springiness' and cut resistance of the titanium bow make a sawing attack very tedious and time consuming. A 1.25" x .125" bow cross sectional area is equal to a circular cross section with a .44" diameter. There is are well defined tests for various violent attacks and we plan to have them done by a creditable 3rd party.
Old 04-23-11, 06:43 PM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I think one of the problems with this lock is that it just doesn't look that secure. While titanium does have some remarkable strength, it does look like it could be sliced open with a pair of scissors. If I had this lock, I would certainly have the fear that a thief would try to break open the lock with such voracity that they might damage the bike by accident.

Any chance you could make the lock look bigger and scarier? Maybe add a few spikes or something; make it clear that this is not a bike lock to be messed with.
Old 04-23-11, 07:32 PM
motobecane69
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
whoever said you can cut and bend titanium is totally mistaken. The titanic was built from it and was unsinkable.

That lock looks like crap, can't wrap around anything, it wouldn't even fit around a parking meter post. i wouldn't be able to lock to anything here in nyc. at best it's a good second lock to lock the wheels to the frame while i use my regular kryptonite lock to lock the frame to something else.
Old 04-25-11, 05:45 AM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
I think you need to try a cutoff wheel on a battery powered angle grinder. It seems like it would be susceptible to that. I've cut ti with a hack saw before, but the springiness in this would likely make that hard.
Old 04-25-11, 06:25 AM
math is fun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by motobecane69
whoever said you can cut and bend titanium is totally mistaken. The titanic was built from it and was unsinkable.

That lock looks like crap, can't wrap around anything, it wouldn't even fit around a parking meter post. i wouldn't be able to lock to anything here in nyc. at best it's a good second lock to lock the wheels to the frame while i use my regular kryptonite lock to lock the frame to something else.
I used this lock for 3 months and I found that SCI's claim of being able to lock to a post 5" in diameter to be true. Something that is impossible with most Ulocks
Old 04-25-11, 07:39 AM
SCI 
TiGr Lock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzz2050
I think one of the problems with this lock is that it just doesn't look that secure. While titanium does have some remarkable strength, it does look like it could be sliced open with a pair of scissors. If I had this lock, I would certainly have the fear that a thief would try to break open the lock with such voracity that they might damage the bike by accident.

Any chance you could make the lock look bigger and scarier? Maybe add a few spikes or something; make it clear that this is not a bike lock to be messed with.
We’d like to offer the “James Bond” solution to bike security as an alternative to the ‘Mr. T” products.
Old 04-25-11, 07:45 AM
colleen c
I am a caffine girl

Bikes: 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SCI
I've tested hacksaw attacks with several types of blades including carbide. Because the bow is not well fixtured (not in a vice) the 'springiness' and cut resistance of the titanium bow make a sawing attack very tedious and time consuming. A 1.25" x .125" bow cross sectional area is equal to a circular cross section with a .44" diameter. There is are well defined tests for various violent attacks and we plan to have them done by a creditable 3rd party.
Thanks for that info. Honestly speaking, I have a change of faith for this lock. The lock itself looks weak and inviting to thieves and I probably will not replace my Ulock with it. Putting aside the grinder with a 3/64" cutoff wheel which is the mother of all lock breaking tool, luckily it's also the most attention attractor. I think this lock can add another level of security if it is used in conjuntion with a Ulock.

Sheldon Brown mentioned having to use two separate tools to make it inconvience for thieves and surely this device is hopefully better than a cable if it is used in place of a cable/Ulock setup. Let say if you locked the frame and rear wheel to a post with an Ulock than use this through the frame, front wheel and post. With a setup of this, beside an angle grinder, you will need a bottle jack and lots of hacksaw blade and time or cut the post. It will be easier to bottle jack a ulock and hack a cable.

Dunno, depending on price, it may be worth it. The only thing I think will help it is if you can put some label on it stating something like "Titanium Cutproof Band" or something like that just to make a statement to those who may want to try hacking it just from the non heavy duty apperance.
Old 04-26-11, 11:27 AM
Joshua A.C. New

Bikes: Iron Monkey: a junkyard steel 26" slick-tired city bike. Grey Fox: A Trek 7x00 frame, painted, with everything built, from spokes up. Jet Jaguar: A 92 Cannondale R900 frame, powder coated matte black with red and aluminum highlights.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Putting aside the grinder with a 3/64" cutoff wheel which is the mother of all lock breaking tool, luckily it's also the most attention attractor.
Cutoff wheels have a very entertaining effect on titanium: they throw a ring of white-hot sparks in a broad overhead arc. It's awesome. The only thing that might work better is if it spelled out "THIS GUY IS STEALING ME" in fireworks.
Old 04-26-11, 11:54 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
I like the idea, but think I agree with a lot of the other posters who say that the fact that it looks like an easy target to beat (even if it isn't) would make my bike a target. I am looking for something that's easier to carry though as my full sized U lock is a pain. Have been thinking about switching to a mini-U and a chain a la Sheldon, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Old 04-26-11, 12:28 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
OK, have you done a let's get out a new, sharp , Nicholson Hack Saw blade
and see how long it takes to cut thru the band of Ti flat-bar
You know Destructive testing?
Old 04-27-11, 07:04 AM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
So does a hacksaw on a big chunk of ti if you drive hard enough, although not anything like a cutoff wheel. However, a cutoff wheel will also probably go through that in a matter of seconds. By the time someone has gone to their window to look out, you're done.
Old 04-27-11, 10:46 PM
Joshua A.C. New

Bikes: Iron Monkey: a junkyard steel 26" slick-tired city bike. Grey Fox: A Trek 7x00 frame, painted, with everything built, from spokes up. Jet Jaguar: A 92 Cannondale R900 frame, powder coated matte black with red and aluminum highlights.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, but a Kryptonite fails with a cutoff wheel, too. The TiGr, on the other hand, being titanium, will shoot an arc of white-hot sparks all over the sidewalk, not to mention the thief.

You know Destructive testing?
Of course! John's shooting some video footage today, in fact. I hope to get it up on the website in the next day.

I agree with a lot of the other posters who say that the fact that it looks like an easy target to beat (even if it isn't) would make my bike a target.
If you like, you can get yourself a Palmy. Looks tough, but is made of aluminum soft enough to bend with your hands. And if you want to lock both wheels, it still weighs more than a TiGr.

Here's the thing: this is a new design, so when I show prototypes around to bike shops and stuff, they ask these same questions. What amazes me is that, because John's a very serious lock engineer, and he really thinks out the security implications of an engineering decision, he's had an answer for me every time I've asked him about an attack.

I'm a designer and a cyclist, by comparison. It's my job to make sure using the lock is pleasurable. It's his job to make it a pain in the ass to steal your bike. The TiGr is for people who want a really good, light, elegant lock. If you want to carry a 2.7 Kg chain to protect your 8 Kg bike, that's fine! You're not interested in what the TiGr does. But if you care what your bike weighs and want it to be a pain in the ass to steal, you're the people we're looking for to back the project. We're making what you want.

Yeah, why not just use a titanium chain with a steel padlock?
Because a chain, by its nature, is more than twice as much material (approaching 4x!), and therefore twice as heavy. Similarly, very little of a padlock is actually holding parts together at a time. They're both very heavy solutions.

To give you an idea, the Kryptonite M18WL, the New York "Titanium reinforced!" lock weighs four times as much as the heavy 40mm TiGr bow with the heavier stainless steel lock. It's more secure than the 20mm bow, but if you use the 20mm bow with the Ti lock, it weighs a sixth as much as the New York and half as much as a water bottle.

Here, lemme show you...

Old 05-03-11, 09:10 AM
Joshua A.C. New

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good news, everyone!

I've just posted new videos of both use and destruction of the lock on tigrlock.com!

The Kickstarter is going spectacularly. Thanks so much for the support.
Old 05-03-11, 11:59 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
wow that looks really promising

Old 05-03-11, 10:13 PM
Joshua A.C. New

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you! John engineered a really clever thing. I'm doing what I can to live up to his engineering with my industrial design.
Old 05-04-11, 05:12 PM
sjt78

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What brand and model name of U lock was used in the video?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.