Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Tour de Poway Roll Call

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-11, 11:48 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Tour de Poway Roll Call

Anyone else doing Poway this Sunday? 102 miles? 4800 feet of climbing?

Sound off if you'd like to shake hands, ride together, or even meet up for a post-ride retox.
I'll be the chubby blond guy in La Vie Claire colors, #30, white crash-hat, try desperately for sub-five hours. Dilapidated tan Ford pickup with white campershell.
Old 09-26-11, 12:14 PM
Carloswithac
Certifiably crazy!

Bikes: Felt Z5, Edict 9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My friend and I will be there. #200 and 149. White Corolla with a bike rack. Not sure on the parking situation.

Edit: just look for the two riders who aren't wearing spandex. I'm sure we'll stick out like a sore thumb!
We'll only be doing the Metric for Poway, but the Century for Temecula in two weeks.

Last edited by Carloswithac; 09-26-11 at 12:55 PM.
Old 09-27-11, 02:05 AM
NotZeroSix

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac S-Works SL3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am down. I will be doing the metric century as well since I havent trained in weeks due to school's workload. I will be in a Capo Jersey with a LiveStrong Ionos. This ride will be dedicated to my closest friends (5 of them) who were recently diagnosed with cancer from years ago.
Old 10-03-11, 09:45 AM
sojourn

Bikes: Domane 9.0 sl

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No ride report???
What's up with that Chris???
Old 10-03-11, 10:08 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Ack. I suuuuuuucked. Last year, I finished 4:57 and felt great afterward.
This year took took me at least 5:30 and I still feel awful the next morning. I spent so much time at one rest stop that my computer powered down and I didn't notice until I was five miles down the road.
Been spending my training time with new gf.
To add insult to injury, I found out last week that my computer was set to not count the zero values (coasting) when computing the average power values. So while I averaged a mighty (bogus) 264W average, this year's was a piddly 187W.
Miles 60-85 were harrrrrd for me. After mile 85, I pretty much shut out the pain and focused on spinning the legs smoothly and breathing deeply. Had to dig deep this year to make up for inadequate preparation. Ack.

Was chatting with some nice guy on about mile 80, and as he was dropping off, he said, "Enjoy!"
"That's not funny. Dude, that's not funny at all."

Also the stoplights suuuuuuuucked. Very frustrating. I spent a lot of time waiting at stoplights. Not much fun this year. But I'll be back next year with better preparation (and hopefully better luck with the $*&%# stoplights.)

Last edited by calamarichris; 10-03-11 at 10:58 AM.
Old 10-03-11, 11:38 AM
LawnChair

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dear gf of Calamarichris,

We at BF believe that your presence has had a negative influence on Chris' cycling abilities. We are no longer able to look upon his cycling as inspirational or motivational. He has completely given up on taking life threatening kayaking adventures. Given the serious nature of this issue, we at BF would like for you to turn in your resignation as gf of Calamarichris, effective immediately. As a solitary man Chris will be more in inclined to take on the dangers and challenges that keep us entertained. As a first event I would like to recommend a kayaking trip to Hawaii. Thank you for your understanding.

Last edited by LawnChair; 10-03-11 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-03-11, 01:34 PM
Carloswithac
Certifiably crazy!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That first hill killed me! After that, it was cake. I can't wait to see my photos. The first one I'm clearly tired at the crest of the hill, and the one at the finish line, I tried to get out of the saddle and my left quad cramped out, so I'm sure I have a stupid look on my face.
Old 10-03-11, 02:19 PM
LaurettaFetta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dear LawnChair,

If challenges are what entertain you, wasn't this century more of a challenge due to his lack of preparation?

~gf of CalamariChris

Originally Posted by LawnChair
Dear gf of Calamarichris,

We at BF believe that your presence has had a negative influence on Chris' cycling abilities. We are no longer able to look upon his cycling as inspirational or motivational. He has completely given up on taking life threatening kayaking adventures. Given the serious nature of this issue, we at BF would like for you to turn in your resignation as gf of Calamarichris, effective immediately. As a solitary man Chris will be more in inclined to take on the dangers and challenges that keep up entertained. As a first event I would like to recommend a kayaking trip to Hawaii. Thank you for your understanding.
Old 10-03-11, 04:23 PM
LawnChair

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LaurettaFetta
Dear LawnChair,

If challenges are what entertain you, wasn't this century more of a challenge due to his lack of preparation?

~gf of CalamariChris
You put up a convincing argument. I believe that I have seen video of you here on BF. I did not know you were his gf. I now understand why Chris has changed his ways. Good luck to you and you have the BF blessing. It would be nice if you named one of your kids LawnChair.
Old 10-04-11, 07:49 AM
sojourn

Bikes: Domane 9.0 sl

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
Ack. I suuuuuuucked. Last year, I finished 4:57 and felt great afterward.
Been spending my training time with new gf.

Also the stoplights suuuuuuuucked. Very frustrating. I spent a lot of time waiting at stoplights. Not much fun this year. But I'll be back next year with better preparation (and hopefully better luck with the $*&%# stoplights.)
wow....blaming the gf young guy....my my....and those pesky stoplights!!!
In my case I would be ecstatic doing a hundred miles in 5 and a half hours.....hell, I would be ecstatic in doing a hundred miles in 6 hours....
I think it better that you have the gf than a sub 4 hr century.....a good gf lasts a lot longer than a 4 hour ride, but hey, that's just me!
I'm proud of you even if you aren't!
Old 10-04-11, 09:44 AM
idoru2005

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sojourn
a good gf lasts a lot longer than a 4 hour ride
Old 10-04-11, 03:38 PM
Carloswithac
Certifiably crazy!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's the video from the GoPro.
The camera is going back on the stem. Bar mounting it adds more shakiness for some reason. I'm avoiding using the helmet cam due to looking like a dork. =(
Old 10-05-11, 05:10 PM
bgross

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Carloswithac
Here's the video from the GoPro.
The camera is going back on the stem. Bar mounting it adds more shakiness for some reason. I'm avoiding using the helmet cam due to looking like a dork. =(
Thanks for the vid.
It brought back memories -- I rode it in '07 & 08. Looking forward to next year.