Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Tour Easy Adventure

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Tour Easy Adventure

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-14, 07:37 AM
GeezerGeek

Bikes: 1993 Infinity LWB, Bacchetta

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tour Easy Adventure

Retirement is just a few months away and touring is next so I am in the market for a new bike. I have been riding bents for about 20 years now; the first 10 on a LWB Infinity and the last 10 on a SWB Bacchetta Strata. One bike that seems like it would fit the bill is the Tour Easy Adventure because it can be taken apart. Because it can be taken apart also worries me.

Is there anybody with experience on a Tour Easy Adventure?
Is the frame stiff and more importantly, does it stay stiff after a few thousand miles?
Do the coupling stay tight and are they easy to take apart and put together after the bike has some miles on it?
What is it like with fully loaded panniers?
Old 08-16-14, 08:56 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I have no experience specifically with the Adventure, but I do have experience with S&S equipped bikes.

I have personal friends with an S&S equipped Santana tandem. They are an unusually tall couple who had a custom geometry frame made that has 2 additional couplings. They've taken it to Europe several times and have reported no issues with the couplers.

I personally owned an S&S equipped Rans Screamer. We had no issues with it but only owned it for a short time.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy an S&S equipped bike if I thought that would meet my needs otherwise.
Old 08-16-14, 02:30 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
+1 to the S&S coupler working well and being trouble free. I had one on a Greenspeed GTO touring trike. GS recommended checking the torque on the coupling once a month but after checking it a few times , I just forgot about it and never checked it regularly again. I disassembled the trike only twice in the 9 years I rode it. It sure made shipping it much cheaper as the package dimensions are way smaller. The coupler comes with a special wrench. Takes about 2 minutes to disassemble if you also have cable splitters for the shift and brake cables. Not much more to reassemble.

Last edited by VegasTriker; 08-16-14 at 02:33 PM.