Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Pub 51

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-15, 10:16 PM
choteau

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm more of a "hope" kind of guy. Hope I don't get a flat, hope I remembered my water, hope I survive the ride, hope the dogs remember me when I get home, etc... I do tend to "be in the moment" when riding and the aches and pains I live with seem to vanish, I'm a kid again...... I do give thanks for being alive when I wake up, just wish the dogs would let me sleep till 6 instead of 4:30am.
Old 04-30-15, 05:45 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Do you "Pray" while riding?

I’m a frequent poster to Bikeforums, not only as an avid cyclist to communicate with the like-minded, but also to record my thoughts (“journal”) about my cycling lifestyle, which I would not write about otherwise without such a Forum as BF.

I don’t have permission to access P&R, and am not interested in applying, but I thought the topic was worthy enough to me at least to record my thoughts. Furthermore I think this topic will likely get buried in all the snarkiness on that subforum. SO FYA, if interested (or not) I have written my reply to the Pub 51 sticky thread on the Fifty-Plus Forum, because this thread is

And furthermore, as SammyJ, OP of the aforementioned thread wrote, “…How about you?
(and NO, I'm not evangelizing here!).”

I was disappointed to see this thread moved to P&R. For the first few years after I joined Bike Forums, I liked the Fifty-Plus subforum because while it was composed of like-minded cyclists of my generation, it featured posts about how cycling fit into a more broad life outlook (Weltanschaung). Nowadays, it seems much to be a mish-mash of topics that could easily be found in Road Cycling, Bicycle Mechanics, Touring or whatever…important and relevant, but mundane and not overarching.

Anyways, my reply to the removed thread itself, without getting into my specific theology, is that mostly my thoughts on the road are about work, family and more immediate issues; sometimes even composing posts to BikeForums in my head. On occasions I might ponder and give thanks for the Existence of Life and the World.

On my first major ride of last year, down in Rhode Island, I did adopt this roadside statue as an icon of my Guardian Angel of the Road. It reminds me of this Guardian Angel figure from the illustrated cartoon strip, who assumes that protective warrior image in times of danger to his ward.

One other spiritual benefit I enjoy more frequently and usefully on the Road is:

This thread may encourage me to more often ponder and give thanks for the Existence of Life and the World. (BTW, my job, to which I cycle commute also encourages such meditations, even more frequently than bicycling, but I won't go there... ).
This thread kind of hits home for me - and I believe that it really did belong in the 50+ Forum.

I think that many "older" individuals come back to religion, as they gain life experience.

I, also, have a guardian angel, my own daughter - and she has saved me more than once.

The peace and serenity of cycling seems to lend itself to reflection and deep thought, while relaxing the body and the soul.

No, I'm not a bible thumper either, but do believe, and am not embarrassed by it. It's nice, and not surprising, to know other old farts feel the same way.

Thanks for bringing it up, moved or not!

Phil
Old 04-30-15, 06:13 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I was sorry to see Sammy's post get moved to P&R, its not a good place to be participating in, for me. I always use riding time for some prayers, get in many of my prayer list people while I am out. I just hope that these few replies, in this thread, don't get dusted, too.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 04-30-15, 03:43 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
After my car-bike accident last September I always pray for safety for myself while I'm out riding and for my wife. She worries a lot.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 05-01-15, 12:32 AM
SammyJ 

Bikes: 2012 Caad 8 105; 1994 Trek 5500

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
Saw a video where a truck driver assaulted a cyclist. The truck did pass somewhat close, but the cyclist had a bad idea, shoot him the finger. Now the truck driver is UPSET.

Frankly, if he had kept both hands on the bars, him and his bike would be in better shape.

I am grateful for the headwind that challenged me today!
I am grateful for the tailwind that helped me go fast!

Clydesdales and Athenas Strava Club
https://www.strava.com/clubs/clydesda...bikeforums-net
Old 06-03-15, 09:30 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
After my car-bike accident last September I always pray for safety for myself while I'm out riding and for my wife. She worries a lot.
I ask for divine help every ride....and for no flats.
Old 06-03-15, 09:34 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Gotta let y'all in on a little secret (kinda). I'm working on obtaining a Colnago Super ('77) after a 4yr wait the owner decided to let it go. It's a legit barn find with 35yrs of dust and flat sew-ups. We settled on a workable price and I'm STOKED, to say the least. It should be in my shop by the end of July.
Old 06-07-15, 12:37 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Sounds to me like you just got a little divine help. Nice barn find.
Old 06-09-15, 07:41 AM
OldsCOOL

Originally Posted by h2oxtc
Sounds to me like you just got a little divine help. Nice barn find.
Thanx, I'm thinking the same thing. It is one of those "right time" things. I've been wanting a shot at that bike for 4yrs. When I asked his sister to inquire, he gave the answer he wouldnt even let the frameset go for less than 1200.00. The owner raced it when he was in high school. I'm blessed to have come to an agreement for an affordable price but totally caught me off guard when he started posting pics of a fully intact classic.
Old 06-15-15, 09:59 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Tell me again why I love home ownership. Went to put my pants on this A.M. and couldn't help but notice that they were wet. I know it wasn't me as they were dry when I threw them atop of the chest when I went to bed. The cat can't jump that high any more so I knew it wasn't him. That left only one possible explanation so I looked up and saw where I had a leak. D-----!

This required a trip into the attic where the bats have left a layer of guano over the years, and a look around to find the source. This done I got in touch with my neighbor who is a construction guy and he will go up and do the repair as its an air vent issue. Problem solved until the next time.

This brings to mind a question that perhaps someone would like to address. I'm 65 and figure I've got say 10-20 years left of being able to stay in my own home. How much money do I put into this house? I mean above and beyond needed maintenance. Once I die or get moved to a home for old bikers I won't care about the house any more and the only ones benefitting will be the charities I have chosen to receive what's left of my paltry estate. I mean I could spend some money and make it a really nice house. Why?

Which question brings to mind another. Who would have guessed when I was in my 20's and enjoying my youth, that this type of question would ever cross my mind?
Old 06-23-15, 01:50 PM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Gotta let y'all in on a little secret (kinda). I'm working on obtaining a Colnago Super ('77) after a 4yr wait the owner decided to let it go. It's a legit barn find with 35yrs of dust and flat sew-ups. We settled on a workable price and I'm STOKED, to say the least. It should be in my shop by the end of July.
I've never seen such an animal ,,post a picture
Old 06-23-15, 02:32 PM
OldsCOOL

Originally Posted by Fastfingaz
I've never seen such an animal ,,post a picture
Will be picking this up (hopefully) a week from Sunday. The anticipation is a bit overwhelming. Here is a pic from the seller:
Old 06-24-15, 02:04 PM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Looks nice that deserves a full layout , drive side,,,
Old 06-24-15, 08:02 PM
OldsCOOL

I'll be bringing it home in 10 days, will spiff up and do a photo session. Thanx!
Old 06-28-15, 04:56 PM
SammyJ 

Garage kept by original owners from early 1970's.

Thinking real hard

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
00G0G_5fASITJvqVp_600x450.jpg (47.4 KB, 52 views)

Old 06-28-15, 05:17 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked 2,570 Times in 1,218 Posts
Originally Posted by SammyJ
Saw a video where a truck driver assaulted a cyclist. The truck did pass somewhat close, but the cyclist had a bad idea, shoot him the finger. Now the truck driver is UPSET.

Frankly, if he had kept both hands on the bars, him and his bike would be in better shape.
You brought up an old memory. 60's, Oakland, crossing the street at a crosswalk, as I was told, and a guy and his old lady, that's what they called them, on a chopper swerving at me as I jumped on to the curb. This guy leans waaaaay out, almost trying to slap his f-finger in my face and was yelling something as his front wheel slid out and the two of them went bouncing down the street. Ha, justice served. I don't think I've even thought of that in 40 years...
Old 06-28-15, 07:00 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts

Thinking real hard

My first bike (as an adult) was a '73 Continental, the next step up in the electro-forged world from a Varsity. It served me well for three years - I got addicted to cycling during that time.
But I don't at all miss it. Wouldn't be interested in having or riding one now. It was rugged but those things were boat anchors with mediocre parts.
To each his own...
Old 06-28-15, 07:02 PM
SammyJ 

Ah, but the steel frame rode real nice, new wheels and updated drive...

Old 06-29-15, 08:09 AM
OldsCOOL

Thinking real hard

Find a lighter bike......unless you just gotta have it.
Old 07-02-15, 10:16 AM
OldsCOOL

I'll be bringing it home in 10 days, will spiff up and do a photo session. Thanx!
2 days and a wake-up.....
Old 07-04-15, 04:38 PM
OldsCOOL

2 days and a wake-up.....
18 hours.....
Old 07-05-15, 07:27 PM
OldsCOOL

Just got it home from a roadtrip. It's a '77 Super and basically been sitting in various barns and garages wherever the owner moved since '78. He built it from a frameset when working a LBS in school years. The term, "rode hard and put away wet" aptly applies. Here are a few pics before I strip it to the frame for polishing and servicing. What a classic babe. (The cyclone will be swapped for a Campy NR)

Old 07-07-15, 11:05 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,075 Posts
Originally Posted by rck
Tell me again why I love home ownership. Went to put my pants on this A.M. and couldn't help but notice that they were wet. I know it wasn't me as they were dry when I threw them atop of the chest when I went to bed. The cat can't jump that high any more so I knew it wasn't him. That left only one possible explanation so I looked up and saw where I had a leak. D-----!

This required a trip into the attic where the bats have left a layer of guano over the years, and a look around to find the source. This done I got in touch with my neighbor who is a construction guy and he will go up and do the repair as its an air vent issue. Problem solved until the next time.

This brings to mind a question that perhaps someone would like to address. I'm 65 and figure I've got say 10-20 years left of being able to stay in my own home. How much money do I put into this house? I mean above and beyond needed maintenance. Once I die or get moved to a home for old bikers I won't care about the house any more and the only ones benefitting will be the charities I have chosen to receive what's left of my paltry estate. I mean I could spend some money and make it a really nice house. Why?

Which question brings to mind another. Who would have guessed when I was in my 20's and enjoying my youth, that this type of question would ever cross my mind?
Right there with you. Condo or apartment living comes to mind from time to time. But I could probably hire out everything from lawn mowing to sweeping the garage and still be dollars ahead. In the meantime I'm still mowing the grass, contemplating the next repair job, when I could be out riding my bike.
Old 07-07-15, 11:09 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,075 Posts
t-6 weeks before PBP, so I've sworn off beer, donuts, and my beloved cheetos in a last ditch effort to drop a few pounds. Too lazy to do the math, but every pound I drop must translate to a few minutes, given the 33,000 feet of climbing. So, I guess no more lurking in the pub for me.
Old 07-07-15, 12:29 PM
OldsCOOL

Originally Posted by downtube42
t-6 weeks before PBP, so I've sworn off beer, donuts, and my beloved cheetos in a last ditch effort to drop a few pounds. Too lazy to do the math, but every pound I drop must translate to a few minutes, given the 33,000 feet of climbing. So, I guess no more lurking in the pub for me.
You can feel every 5lb drop. I've had 4 such drops so far and can say it feels like you are getting stronger on the hills and avg speeds when actually is more a factor of losing "rolling resistance". Cut all you can.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.