Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Why didn't I ride?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Why didn't I ride?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-16, 04:12 PM
benetga

Bikes: Trek 1.1, Nashbar Carbon105 , Specialized Rockhopper-SS, Aventon Aventure

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Why didn't I ride?

Today driving home I saw a regular biker on my route and felt that i should be ridding also. The winds were strong and temps in the teens.

Alright then I'm taking the bike tomorrow. It's on. It will be in the single digits but I got to try. My normal cut off is usually 20 degrees or less but he can do it so can I.
Old 01-12-16, 05:05 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can do it!

Just layer well, cover your face, and keep a cloth near your core to wipe glasses. Chemical toe warmers may be nice if it is a longer ride.
Old 01-13-16, 06:36 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I have often said "why didn't I ride", but never said "I shouldn't have ridden". There you go.
Old 01-13-16, 06:43 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I have often said "why didn't I ride", but never said "I shouldn't have ridden". There you go.
Unless something catastrophic happens on the commute, you'd never say that.

I skipped Monday and Tuesday because of wind, ice and snow, but braved it today. Glad I did.
Old 01-13-16, 07:14 AM
katzenfinch

Bikes: Chapman Rando, Rivendell Atlantis, Trek 2100, Bridgestone MB5, Burley Duet, Trek 614

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I looked at this thread, then glanced outside to see how the weather is shaping up. Looks like a sunny, calm day! Checked the temperature: -2°F. Back to reading about bicycling....
Old 01-13-16, 07:40 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Every time I drive (which nowadays is not often) and I see a cyclist whizz by, I think the same thing "why didn't I bike?"
Old 01-13-16, 07:44 AM
Hermes1

Bikes: Montague Para Trooper High line

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kudos to you folks who ride the sub freezing mark, that is right about my limit, below that I'll drive.
Old 01-13-16, 08:16 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by benetga
Today driving home I saw a regular biker on my route and felt that i should be ridding also. The winds were strong and temps in the teens.

Alright then I'm taking the bike tomorrow. It's on. It will be in the single digits but I got to try. My normal cut off is usually 20 degrees or less but he can do it so can I.
I've been in that same position. It has helped me have very few reasons to drive to the office*; it got to the point where the only reason I would not bike to the office was for off-site meeting or a commitment right after work.

Another motivating factor, I use Strava and many of my local bike-commuter friends use Strava too. When your eating breakfast, see the temps is below 0F but your Strava feed is already full of people's morning commute, it makes me say "OK, I can do that too!" Peer-pressure.

* I moved to a home office last year. It will sound odd to many, but I miss this cold morning commutes. I still get out and ride daily, but my schedule keeps me at the desk until mid-morning (gotta make all my social media posts, y'know).

edit - afterthought: just check my Strava feed, at 8:15 AM and 1F, I have 5 friends that have biked to work so far today. Distances range for 3 to 18 miles.

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 01-13-16 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-13-16, 09:17 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,214 Times in 1,103 Posts
I am happy with my criteria for not riding. Its about me, not about comparing myself with others or letting others actions determine what I should or shouldn't do.

Having said that, I am testing and exploring changes to the criteria. I really miss riding when I don't.

I guess I see bicycling as an individual activity rather ha a social one.
Old 01-13-16, 09:40 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Why didn't I ride?

Originally Posted by benetga

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz

Originally Posted by mcours2006
Unless something catastrophic happens on the commute, you'd never say that.
I have previously posted to this thread, ”What stops you from riding?”

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
My job; either too much to do, so I stay (comfortably) overnight and resume very early in the AM, missing my commute; or have to travel afar for a meeting.

Having a mileage-based training schedule however, effectively motivates me to make time to ride
And to a lesser extent, family activities. Just yesterday I posted,

[My daughter] has some mobility problems, and the walking cast adds to her difficulties, but with support she’s doing OK. On top of that, my wife went away for a long-scheduled vacation yesterday. So I’ve had to rearrange my schedule to get her off to school. No complaints mind you, but I’ve curtailed my cycle commute for a few days.
On my Excel spreadsheet daily mileage log, I have a row titled Excuses.

I have frequently taken note of these two similar taglines when reading posts by these subscribers:

@chasm54
There have been many days when I haven't felt like riding, but there has never been a day when I was sorry I rode.
And

@Sammy J
I have NEVER regretted going on a ride;
I have often regretted not going when I could have!
Old 01-13-16, 09:49 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Once it gets below freezing, I'll usually opt to drive. Every now and then I'll ride, or at least flex my schedule so I start once the sun has started warming things up and by the time I am halfway to work it will be in the mid 30s. I don't want to ride in the dark in sub freezing temps though. All it takes is not seeing an icy patch from someone who left their sprinkler system on to get some bumps and bruises.
Old 01-13-16, 11:06 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
OP: how long is your commute?

Mine is 15.5 miles each way and in winter when it's below freezing and I'm wearing multiple layers, it always seems like I'm slower. Usually takes 80-85 minutes in the morning. 20F is about my limit. My toes feel frozen after about the first half or so. I'm just not prepared or equipped (nor do I desire) to be out in the cold that long when it's below 20. And really 20 is pushing it. The other morning it was about 24 with a wind chill of 18 and I felt like I barely made it.
Old 01-13-16, 11:15 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94

Mine is 15.5 miles each way and in winter when it's below freezing and I'm wearing multiple layers, it always seems like I'm slower. Usually takes 80-85 minutes in the morning. 20F is about my limit. My toes feel frozen after about the first half or so. I'm just not prepared or equipped (nor do I desire) to be out in the cold that long when it's below 20. And really 20 is pushing it. The other morning it was about 24 with a wind chill of 18 and I felt like I barely made it.
I share your sentiments about being prepared to be out in extreme cold for long. I rode in today, and like you, I felt like I just made it. My commute is 12 miles. It took about an hour today with a tail wind.

I find the homeward ride more stressful, just because there is more traffic on the road, especially this time of year when the road is wet/icy/snow-covered. Add on top of that a stiff, cold headwind, and it's not the most pleasant ride.
Old 01-13-16, 11:19 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 89 Posts
I've fallen twice on ice and I'm too old and injury prone and have too much at stake to risk a serious injury. Of course I could be injured at any time, but the overall health benefits of biking outweigh the risk, under normal weather conditions.

So I'll stick with public transit for winter weather season.

Last edited by cooker; 01-13-16 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-13-16, 11:22 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
Its about me, not about comparing myself with others or letting others actions determine what I should or shouldn't do.
I don't think the OP was intended that way - ie. the other rider somehow shamed him into riding. It was more that the other rider demonstrated it was possible.

Last edited by cooker; 01-13-16 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-13-16, 11:25 AM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I think you answered your own question "Why didn't I ride today?" when you saw what the temperatures were. Good for you to test your limits, but I hope you never obligated to ride.
Old 01-13-16, 12:01 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94

Good question. I have previously posted,

...I have often posted that for any evaluation of winter gear, the poster should specify temperature and distance (as a function of time). One post once suggested that a "cold" ride is one where the water bottle freezes solid; a function of temperature and time. For my 14 miles that occurs at about 15 degrees F or less (-9.4° C).
My usual experience on my 14 mile one-way commute in difficult weather, cold and/or wet, is that when dressed as appropriate as possible, I am comfortable for the first 10 miles, about 30 to 45 minutes, then tolerate the rest. I’m not inclined to ride farther than that distance other than in nice weather.
Old 01-13-16, 12:21 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I rode a couple hundred yards this morning in heavy rain. I knew it was raining of course and wore my contact lenses and my excellent rain gear. But I wasn't expecting the heavy fog. My ability to see the road (and the wildlife on or near it) was so poor that I turned around and headed back home. An hour later I left in the car and the fog had lifted or been blown away.

I wasn't worried about the few drivers seeing me -- if our roads were reflective and had bright blinking tail lights I would have been able to see fine. As it was, 10 mph would have been pushing my sightline.
Old 01-13-16, 12:30 PM
snow_echo_NY

Bikes: Scott Genius, Surly Crosscheck, Yuba Mundo cargo, Specialized Dolce Triple (stolen 5/8/15)

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
there ya go.

what everyone else said. i never regret a ride. i always regret not riding.

just dress for it.
just make sure to layer and protect your hands feet and face b/c these are the most vulnerable on a winter bike ride, and you'll be fine.
your body will generate enough heat with reasonable layers - so that's the last thing to worry about. i usually have 1 bottom layer and 2-3 top layers.
then i'm sure to wear a few sock layers, face layers and hand layers - and carry extras JIC the afternoon commute is different than the morning.

best of luck and please report back OP
Old 01-13-16, 01:22 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I try my best to plan morning layers so that I can simply remove one or two for the afternoon. Occasionally I might bring a different set of gloves or head gear for the afternoon but that's rare.
Old 01-13-16, 05:33 PM
benetga

Bikes: Trek 1.1, Nashbar Carbon105 , Specialized Rockhopper-SS, Aventon Aventure

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The ride in this morning was not to bad at all only thing cold were my eyes. I think I'll look for a cheap pair of ski googles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20160113_052322.jpg (92.3 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by benetga; 01-13-16 at 05:37 PM. Reason: picture
Old 01-13-16, 06:06 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
I had a steady rain for my entire 10 mile ride in this morning but it was 47° F. That was actually fairly pleasant. On the other hand, over six hours later I'm still waiting for my bike clothes and shoes to dry (newspaper in the shoes, clothes hanging under my desk). This morning I was glad I rode, this evening...we'll see.
Old 01-13-16, 06:17 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
Usually I keep my car at work, so I don't have an excuse in the morning not to ride, and so I can pick up kids from school if something comes up during the day. So I ride almost always. >190 times in 2014, >160 in 2015 (down in 2015 mostly because month off for an ankle sprain)

Last week it was raining all week in San Diego. I rode mon/tue and got soaked Tue night. I rode in Wed morning, during the day it started raining again cats & dogs. Flash flood warnings. Thunder & lightning. Even a tornado warning nearby. Plus my wife was out picking up kids anyways. Plus I needed to move my car back to work after xmas. So I called the wife and hopped a ride home, left my bike securely locked up at work, drove to work (the next two days), and finally rode home.

Yeah, I could have just kept riding in the rain, but who am I trying to impress?
Old 01-13-16, 06:48 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I often see people riding on my way home and ask myself the same question about why I didn't ride to work that day. The simple answer is not that it's too cold in the morning right now, but that it's too DARK. Driving to work every morning with my windows barely defrosted, I see how little attention drivers (including myself) pay to anything other than cars out there. This is the country, where there are very few bike commuters even in good weather, so nobody is looking out for bikes in January.

Yeah, I am jealous of people riding at 4pm, but no thanks...given that I have a choice about riding to work at 7am these days, I will wait until the mornings get a little brighter and the motorists have fewer distractions.
Old 01-14-16, 08:42 AM
pitbullfan

Bikes: 1/8th inch Scrambler FG, Masi Coltello FG

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't ride because last night on my way home I got TWO flats. Hit something going pretty quick and popped both tubes. At first I thought it was just the rear tire. I replaced the tube and thought I was on my way again only to realize the front tire was also flat. I only had one spare tube with me and no patch kit. Luckily I was only 3 miles from home when it happened. So today at lunch time I will pickup several spare tubes, and hopefully be pedaling in tomorrow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.