Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Basketball/Gym Shorts Underwear

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-17, 01:26 PM
mrmontana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello. I like to ride a bike for exercise several times per week and like to wear regular gym shorts/basket ball shorts while riding. Lately I have been noticing all my boxer briefs I wear underneath are tearing at the inner thigh area and believe this to be from cycling. I understand most enthusiasts wear biker shorts, however I am just not into them. I was wondering if anybody had advice on what to wear underneath basketball shorts for cycling as I have never worn bicycle shorts and really don't want to go that route. Thanks.
Old 07-17-17, 02:07 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
You can get cycling "underwear" which are basically shorter versions of cycling shorts that are meant to be worn underneath regular clothing.

But, understand that people wear cycling specific clothes for a reason... and it's not because people think they look good.
Old 07-17-17, 02:09 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
60,000 miles in Bike Shorts w No Underwear.

Old 07-17-17, 02:26 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
When I go on solo training rides I have always worn bike shorts. However lately my rides have been reduced to pulling my toddler daughter in a trailer buggy. I feel uncomfortable wearing my bike shorts to pull her on the MUP. So I wear bike shorts and basketball or running shorts over them. I'm experienced enough to know the benefits of cycling shorts but modest enough to wear shorts over them if I'm not in training mode.
Old 07-17-17, 03:00 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by mrmontana
I have never worn bicycle shorts and really don't want to go that route
check mountain bike shorts. they come with a removable liner. I didn't like the liner they came with so I use thin lined Zoot 9" Tri Shorts. not cheap but perfect (& no one knows I'm wearing them!) just size UP. i.e. for pants I get 38W, boxers XL, but these I get XXL

Last edited by rumrunn6; 07-18-17 at 11:14 AM.
Old 07-17-17, 03:21 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Hello. I like to ride a bike for exercise several times per week and like to wear regular gym shorts/basket ball shorts while riding. Lately I have been noticing all my boxer briefs I wear underneath are tearing at the inner thigh area and believe this to be from cycling.
I generally use travel underwear (such as that by ExOfficio) which is thinner and all synthetic. Seems to last longer than cotton but is also more expensive so I'm not sure which is a better value. The thinner material appears to result in less chafing. It also dries much quicker which is a plus on bike tours (can be washed in the evening and dry by morning).
Old 07-17-17, 03:22 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Compression style athletic trunk-style underwear is available at any big box store or online. They are very similar to the cycling underwear but with no chamois. I wear them a lot under trekking or jean shorts, often on rides of 30-50 miles, even in hot, humid weather.

Here is a brand that works well for me https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0117ERVI6...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I do wear bike shorts quite often, especially on club, charity or other organized rides, but contrary to what some may say, you won't suffer any dire consequences from riding in a good pair of tech fabric athletic underwear. Just make sure the legs are long enough and don't ride up, this is where the light compression is helpful.
Old 07-17-17, 05:40 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Hello. I like to ride a bike for exercise several times per week and like to wear regular gym shorts/basket ball shorts while riding. Lately I have been noticing all my boxer briefs I wear underneath are tearing at the inner thigh area and believe this to be from cycling. I understand most enthusiasts wear biker shorts, however I am just not into them. I was wondering if anybody had advice on what to wear underneath basketball shorts for cycling as I have never worn bicycle shorts and really don't want to go that route. Thanks.
The compression shorts idea isn't bad. Otherwise, just go with bike shorts. Would you play basketball in wing tips or work boots? I imagine not. If cycling is your thing, why not wear cycling apparel?
Old 07-18-17, 02:21 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I wear a bathing suit when I go swimming.

I wear cycling shorts when I go cycling.

Right tool for the job.
Old 07-18-17, 06:00 AM
BloomBikeShop
BloomBikeShop.com

Bikes: A few.

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I'm not about to give up my bib shorts for road cycling, but occasionally I go without bike shorts for quick rides, so I know what you mean. I've worn cycling underwear too - that's inexpensive, but you get what you pay for.

Anyway, I made a list of all the athletic underwear I like. One of my favorites are the Champion C9 line you can find at Target. They're tough (durable), supportive, and smooth.
Old 07-18-17, 10:47 AM
mrmontana

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the helpful replies, you'all are great!
Old 07-19-17, 05:42 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,462 Times in 1,433 Posts
@mrmontana, if bike shorts look immodest to you, you can get some shorts made for mountain biking. They're a bit floppy, and they have an interior like road bike shorts. They look normal on the outside.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-19-17, 05:55 PM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I wear regular briefs under bike shorts and gym shorts over that. I wear underwear because it feels more hygienic to me. I wear bike shorts for padding and to keep the junk tucked in. I wear the gym shorts because it feels more natural to me and they have pockets. I should probably wear mountain bike shorts but the are too long.
Old 07-31-17, 04:08 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
This...
Originally Posted by Myosmith
Compression style athletic trunk-style underwear is available at any big box store or online. They are very similar to the cycling underwear but with no chamois. I wear them a lot under trekking or jean shorts, often on rides of 30-50 miles, even in hot, humid weather.

Here is a brand that works well for me https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0117ERVI6...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I do wear bike shorts quite often, especially on club, charity or other organized rides, but contrary to what some may say, you won't suffer any dire consequences from riding in a good pair of tech fabric athletic underwear. Just make sure the legs are long enough and don't ride up, this is where the light compression is helpful.
After my first ever bout with heat rash last summer I began wearing Champion tech fabric boxer/briefs on almost every ride, based on the recommendation of another bike forums member. They're extremely thin, skin tight except for the mesh pouch for Johnson and the twins, and help wick perspiration better than padded shorts alone.

Usually I just wear the Champion shorts under baggy shorts, jeans, whatever I'm wearing. Occasionally when I wear my AeroTech or Pearl Izumi padded shorts on my road bike to cut down on wind resistance on really windy days, I still use the Champion shorts as a liner. They air dry quickly on my body and reduce the soggy diaper feeling with padded shorts on hot, humid days.

I don't use any creams, butt butter, Glide, etc. Don't need it. I did use those decades ago with merino wool shorts and chamois pads, mostly to keep the chamois leather pliable through multiple washings. But I don't need 'em with the current synthetics.

Give 'em a try.