Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Replacing tires

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Replacing tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-18, 03:44 AM
Cyclist0084

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 90 Posts
Replacing tires

Which would be better to do.....replace tires based on the number of miles on them or based on the number of flats you're getting? Or perhaps it a combination of both?

I'm trying to decide if my back tire needs replacing. It's a 4+ year old tire with well over 5000 miles on it that hadn't had a flat.....until this year, and now I've had two on it (in addition to one flat on the front). It still looks to be in pretty good shape, but just unsure if I should replace it or just patch (or replace) the tube.

Any and all insight will be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 07-27-18, 03:53 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
What I would do will depend on the type of tire (lightweight racing, heavy duty touring, etc) and the nature of the flats/punctures (glass, thorns, nails, etc). That said, 4 years and 5k miles is a reasonable amount of use that you already have gotten from those tires.
Old 07-27-18, 04:06 AM
toast3d

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
4 years and 5k miles is a great amount to get out of a tire, but when judging whether to replace it, the only thing that matters is the physical condition of the tire itself. Disregard what you've already gotten out of it and focus only on the visible signs of wear.
Old 07-27-18, 09:47 AM
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by toast3d
.......Disregard what you've already gotten out of it and focus only on the visible signs of wear.
one flat is a random event; two flats are questionable, three flats are a trend and an indication of significant wear.

Tires can be worn out without appearing to be worn out, a sudden increasing in flatting is an indicator, lose of wet traction is another.

OP: your tires need to be replaced - if possible get the same brand and model as you have because they have provided excellent service.
Old 07-27-18, 10:45 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Replace it.

Tires aren't THAT expensive. It's well worth it to have a fresh new tire in factory condition than to be 40 miles from home and get an unrepairable flat. It could still happen with the new tire, but your odds are much better.
Old 07-27-18, 11:27 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
If you have 5000 miles on a rear tire, I can't imagine it not being ready for "retirement".
If this is a "smooth" tire, compare how "squared off" the tread is vs the front tire.
Once you start getting frequent flats, replace unless you like fixing flats. The frequency will increase.
Old 07-27-18, 11:37 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by IndianaRecRider
Which would be better to do.....replace tires based on the number of miles on them or based on the number of flats you're getting? Or perhaps it a combination of both?
Replace them when they're worn. Mileage depends on the tire and how it's used.
Some tires have longer-wearing tread rubber than others. Some tires use a thicker layer of tread than others. Some tires are wider than others, and increased width tends to lengthen wear life. Some road surfaces wear tires faster than others. More weight on the bike tends to wear tires faster than less weight on the bike. Rear tires wear faster than front tires.

If the tread rubber is highly flattened out by use and it's getting close to being worn through, replace the tire.
If you've been using the tire for a long time and you start getting puncture flats in quick succession that aren't explained by debris left behind after the last flat repair, replace the tire.
Old 07-27-18, 12:20 PM
toast3d

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question: did you carefully inspect the tire, including the inside?

You could be getting flats because your tire picked up a little hitch hiker. I've seen it before. "Why am I suddenly getting all these flats?" Maybe because the original cause of the flats is still embedded in the tire. It happens.

It could also be something on/with the inside of the wheel rim.
Old 07-27-18, 05:47 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by nfmisso
one flat is a random event; two flats are questionable, three flats are a trend and an indication of significant wear.

Tires can be worn out without appearing to be worn out, a sudden increasing in flatting is an indicator, lose of wet traction is another.

OP: your tires need to be replaced - if possible get the same brand and model as you have because they have provided excellent service.
I'd agree, except the part about getting the same brand. I wouldn't necessarily get the same ones, although you got good use out of the ones you have.
Old 07-27-18, 06:02 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I have a 3 flat rule, unless its something unusual. When the rounded crown in the center of the tread flattens out (to about 1/2 inch wide) it's usually time. The Continentals I use have little holes molded in as wear indicators, but I usually replace them before they disappear. 5000 miles is great mileage. I don't track miles, but I'm sure I don't do that well.
Old 07-28-18, 05:27 AM
Cyclist0084

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 90 Posts
Hey everyone, thanks for all of the replies. I appreciate them all.

I think I'll be making a trip to my LBS later on this morning for new tires. It'll be better to be safe rather than sorry.

Thanks again!!!

Old 07-28-18, 06:47 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
I don't get many flats, maybe one every 5000 miles or more. (And some are pinch flats, not debris punctures.) So I can't say from experience that worn down tires get more flats.

Since road bike tire treads are quite thin even when new, how does a worn down tire get more flats? The rubber tread isn't a barrier to sharp stuff, it's the fabric layers that protect against punctures.

Is this one of those widely repeated "rules", or from personal experience?
Old 07-28-18, 01:21 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I think that sometimes, if you turn a question around, the answer becomes obvious.

If you had a tire that looked almost new but kept getting frequent punctures, would you keep it because "it wasn't worn out yet"? I certainly wouldn't. Likewise, if I had a tire that looked worn but was continuing to perform to my satisfaction, I'd stick with it.

For the record, my personal experience has been that my tires always tell me when it's time for a replacement. They either get frequent punctures right down the centerline, or they get a sidewall cut that also compromises the casing. Either way it's "adios".
Old 07-28-18, 01:39 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I replace my rear tire when the cord shows through or it gets damaged. I put a new tire on the front and the old front on the rear.
Old 07-28-18, 01:43 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
that's the way , best tire on the front..
Old 07-28-18, 02:57 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
Since road bike tire treads are quite thin even when new, how does a worn down tire get more flats?
The thinner a tire wear surface gets, the smaller item it takes to create a penetration flat.
The rubber tread isn't a barrier to sharp stuff, it's the fabric layers that protect against punctures
But it is. To create a penetration flat, you need to have an item capable of reaching through the wear surface and through the tube.
No penetration, no flat.
You’re welcome to try to puncture my car tires with a thumbtack any day.
And before you object, a thumbtack will push through the casing/carcass or a car tire easily.
Is this one of those widely repeated "rules", or from personal experience?
Experience and observation I’d say.
With a brand new tire, I can tolerate a 3 mm cut and it won’t even reach the carcass.
With a half-worn tire, a 3 mm cut will nick the carcass and may or may not damage the tube.
With the wear surface reduced to a thin membrane over the carcass, pretty much anything will reach through and penetrate both tire and tube.

’Course, sometimes nothing helps.
Last flat I had, on a Schwalbe Marathon Winter - with extra puncture protection - was caused by a shard of stone shaped like an arrowhead, 11 mm tall that went in point first.
Not much to do about those.
Old 07-28-18, 06:24 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
When I went to do a 100 mile ride a few weeks ago, I got a flat at about 2 miles! This was the first flat on that tire, and also the last as the casing had torn. Upon inspection it was clearly worn out, and I had looked at it a few weeks prior thinking that I'm going to need a new one soon. I call my wife and she comes to get me. Undeterred, I have her take me to the LBS when it opens at 9am (lucky for me not 10 or 11am) where they don't have the Conti GP4000S II in a 700x23, but they do have a 700x25. I take that (also had read on the forum about how roadies are going bigger) and mount it outside the shop and proceed to do my ride. At about the 50 mile mark I'm riding on a shoulder with some gravel/dirt and PFFFFFFT. A flat on a brand new tire! I patched it (bought a patch kit too) and went on my way. At about mile 65 I decide that doing 100 will be too much, and the road was totally uninteresting for riding so I call my wife again. She picks me up at around the 75 mile mark in the podunk town and opens a beer for me when we get back to the lake house.

I've put around 400 miles on it since with no problem.

The moral of the story is to just be prepared!