Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Post Your Titaniums

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Post Your Titaniums

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-18, 09:14 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts

Recently swapped out the 6600 group for Sram Rival 1x. Only complaint is the chainstays can't clear wide tires, but great ride otherwise.
Old 08-08-18, 10:26 AM
Texas Aggie 

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Titanium AX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by carlos danger
my lynskeys.
before and after disguising them. they liked it.
wow
Old 08-08-18, 06:52 PM
bleui

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK

Recently swapped out the 6600 group for Sram Rival 1x. Only complaint is the chainstays can't clear wide tires, but great ride otherwise.
what frame is that?
Old 08-08-18, 09:49 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 452 Posts
Old GT Edge Ti frame. Likely from early-mid-90's.

Last edited by cat0020; 08-17-18 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-17-18, 02:08 PM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
The vortex. I'm just glad I was able to get the 25mm conti gp4000s to fit.

Old 08-17-18, 02:27 PM
SSRI

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by MyTi
The vortex. I'm just glad I was able to get the 25mm conti gp4000s to fit.

nicely done!
what size cassette?
Old 08-17-18, 05:09 PM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Originally Posted by SSRI
nicely done!
what size cassette?
Thanks 11-34 with deore xt RD.
Old 08-18-18, 02:14 AM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Originally Posted by scuzzo
well, all is not lost, but im kinda trying an alternate route before dumping huge coin on the repair,, I decided to see if we had any qualified Ti welders in HSV that knew all about the material and had a skill set to do the work.. my first idea was to contact the welding supply company that specialized in Ti rods and stuff,, and they reffered me to a fellow who taught as an welding instructor in college and was also doing contract work for Marshall Space Flight Center and NASA.. and i talked with him a good long time on the phone.. learning all about how you need to Purge the frame (back shiled with Argon?) inorder to remove oxygen from the weld area.. and how color is a prime indicator of the weld joint.. and how you need to keep it at a certain temp but not under or over that temp.. and he just seemed like a smart, decent guy who was well qualified to do the job,, as qualified as litespeed? i guess not.. but i did not get a good vibe with the litespeed conversation through email... it was just PAY US THIS MUCH and WAIT! down tube ECTOMY! we will see if things just dont go well with this repair... i will go with litespeed, but its well worth the 40 buck lotto ticket mho.. and i get my bike back in days vs months.. either way. the bike will be back on the road.... in for a penny in for a pound on this bike... its too good to just make a lamp.,
I do wonder how long you've had the bike. Were you the original owner? I bought my litespeed second hand so it's well over a decade old now. How much did Litespeed want to do the job? I read that they charge $200 to refinish the whole frame and add new stickers. Something that I will probably consider doing down the line before I upgrade to a new groupset. This is from the litespeed web site:

A fee of $195.00 will return your frame to it's original brushed appearance including new decals. Chain suck damage, dents and deep scratches cannot be completely eliminated by refurbishing. Your frame will also be inspected for additional damage and will be aligned to ensure the best possible future performance.
Old 08-18-18, 07:40 AM
scuzzo

Bikes: cannondale 2.0,caad3,schwinn Peleton,Felt F35,2007 litespeed Vortex

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 17 Posts
I do wonder how long you've had the bike. Were you the original owner? I bought my litespeed second hand so it's well over a decade old now. How much did Litespeed want to do the job? I read that they charge $200 to refinish the whole frame and add new stickers. Something that I will probably consider doing down the line before I upgrade to a new groupset. This is from the litespeed web site:
no, I bought used whole bike for 1k, and they will repair it for around a k, plus ship and insurance, and they will keep my bike for at least 4 months, im having the work done local and we will see how it goes.
Old 08-18-18, 08:30 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

im having the work done local and we will see how it goes.
The task of machining and welding 6/4 ti is vastly more difficult than 3/2.5 ti, especially when it comes to shaped & thin-walled tubes.
I personally would not trust anyone who have successfully performed similar task over 100 times and made more than 100 of mistakes... on 6/4 ti specifically.

It's always a balance between light, strong or cheap.. pick two.
Old 08-18-18, 09:15 AM
scuzzo

Originally Posted by cat0020
The task of machining and welding 6/4 ti is vastly more difficult than 3/2.5 ti, especially when it comes to shaped & thin-walled tubes.
I personally would not trust anyone who have successfully performed similar task over 100 times and made more than 100 of mistakes... on 6/4 ti specifically.

It's always a balance between light, strong or cheap.. pick two.

ok, but this fellow is a aero space wellder contracted by nasa and the marshal space flight center... and also doing contract work for the army and various other contracts... you may not have made my choice... fair e enough,, but lite speed what so prefunctory with me that i did not feel good at all with giving them a thou to fix the problem.... i trust the college instructor, contractor, and man who has 50 years exp... more then some guy i send the problem to and hope he gets it right... i talked with the man... for a good hour or 2 to see where his head was at... seems solid showed me his 6/4 welding rods has VAST experience in 6/4 tig,, but usually builds a box for the purge process with his other work.. explained to me the whole process. purge argon throught the tubes and wants to do a 2 pass weld .. was referred to me by a specialty welding supply house as the only guy in the state that they would trust for the task.... in short... i did about as much research as i could before making the decision... what it right? i dont know.... but i dont think i could find a more capable craftsman other then litespeed and i did not get a good vibe at all from them.
dunno...
Old 08-18-18, 12:59 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Regardless of background, experience in working with the same material, specifically "6/4 titanium, shaped, thin-walled tubing" is the particular skills you need to repair your frame.

Litespeed may not be able to give you a more timely or personal response unless they have the frame in front of them and can see clearly what needs to be done.
It's Litespeed's name on the frame, they should be able to make good with it regardless what it needs; even if replacement frame at a significant discount.
For me that certainty is more important.

Last edited by cat0020; 08-18-18 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-18-18, 05:07 PM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

ok, but this fellow is a aero space wellder contracted by nasa and the marshal space flight center... and also doing contract work for the army and various other contracts... you may not have made my choice... fair e enough,, but lite speed what so prefunctory with me that i did not feel good at all with giving them a thou to fix the problem.... i trust the college instructor, contractor, and man who has 50 years exp... more then some guy i send the problem to and hope he gets it right... i talked with the man... for a good hour or 2 to see where his head was at... seems solid showed me his 6/4 welding rods has VAST experience in 6/4 tig,, but usually builds a box for the purge process with his other work.. explained to me the whole process. purge argon throught the tubes and wants to do a 2 pass weld .. was referred to me by a specialty welding supply house as the only guy in the state that they would trust for the task.... in short... i did about as much research as i could before making the decision... what it right? i dont know.... but i dont think i could find a more capable craftsman other then litespeed and i did not get a good vibe at all from them.
dunno...
$1000 seems overpriced! Why are they charging so much? You could buy another Ti frame for that. How was the frame damaged? Were you in an accident or did the crack just occur through normal riding?
Old 08-20-18, 10:24 PM
OldFartCyclist

Location: Pasco, Washington - the brown side of the Pacific NW

Bikes: 2020 SWorks Tarmac SL6 w/ Shimano DA 9100; 2016 Lynskey R240 w/ DA 9100, 2014 SWorks Roubaix w/ DA 9100

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
My Lynskey R240
Old 08-21-18, 10:00 AM
SSRI

$1000 seems overpriced! Why are they charging so much? You could buy another Ti frame for that. How was the frame damaged? Were you in an accident or did the crack just occur through normal riding?
Yes you can another Ti Frame, but it will be hard to find the same model Vortex for 1K. They just dont come up for sale often.
Old 08-21-18, 11:29 AM
love2pedal.com

Bikes: Colnago C50

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Colnago CT1 with Geo paint. Ti front triangle and carbon stays

Old 08-21-18, 11:41 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Knowing how difficult it is to have 6/4 titanium shaped-tubing with thin-walls welded into a bicycle frame, $1K price tag to repair isn't too bad until Litespeed can see the frame in person and determine exactly what's needed to for the repair... especially for that particular generation of Vortex frame.
Old 08-21-18, 11:57 AM
Brotisimo

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OldFartCyclist
My Lynskey R240
Nice and clean. I dig your attention to detail. Great looking bike!
Old 08-21-18, 12:43 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
This isn't a bad deal for $2500. Even has 28mm tires, pretty good for a race bike. Wheels and group alone would cost at least $1500.

Old 08-21-18, 12:45 PM
scuzzo

Originally Posted by SSRI
Yes you can another Ti Frame, but it will be hard to find the same model Vortex for 1K. They just dont come up for sale often.
size 60cm, yep it's more rare than unicorn wings, got the frame back yesterday, guy did a great job on it, I'm hopeful it will be fine, seem good and solid dude put 3 hrs time to it.. I need to get my friends headset press and do some wrench work, but I'm glad I went local, kinda cool to keep it rolling, wish me luck. Haha.. still got that super snazzy ultimate, I always liked seeing bill Copland tear it up for LA sheriffs!
Old 08-21-18, 01:48 PM
SSRI

size 60cm, yep it's more rare than unicorn wings, got the frame back yesterday, guy did a great job on it, I'm hopeful it will be fine, seem good and solid dude put 3 hrs time to it.. I need to get my friends headset press and do some wrench work, but I'm glad I went local, kinda cool to keep it rolling, wish me luck. Haha.. still got that super snazzy ultimate, I always liked seeing bill Copland tear it up for LA sheriffs!
Great, glad to see you got it back. Please post some pics. I would love to see the after pictures. Was it Re-weld to close the crack?
Have fun on the rebuild....may be its time for new groupset. R8000 is a lot of bang for the buck.
My Ultimate (post #2658 ) was actually a used Chevy/ LA Sheriffs team bike. It supposed to have been ridden by Steve Hegg.

Last edited by SSRI; 08-21-18 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-21-18, 06:52 PM
OldFartCyclist

Location: Pasco, Washington - the brown side of the Pacific NW

Bikes: 2020 SWorks Tarmac SL6 w/ Shimano DA 9100; 2016 Lynskey R240 w/ DA 9100, 2014 SWorks Roubaix w/ DA 9100

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Brotisimo
Nice and clean. I dig your attention to detail. Great looking bike!
I love it! Just got in from a 35 mile ride after putting in a new bottom bracket. My Old one was an HSC ceramic that originally was in in my old Roubaix Expert that I sold when I got my SWorks frame. With my current bikes, the Cooper in the background would go before either of them!
Old 08-22-18, 07:38 PM
Pb_Okole
Who is Austin Dunbar?

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Lynskey Sportive, Lynskey GR 270,

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
New Lynskey Sportive

Picture taken after first ride the day I finished building it.
Old 08-22-18, 08:34 PM
fried bake

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Mosaic RT 2

Mosaic RT-2

Another inaugural ride. Purchased this a couple weeks ago from TPC on ebay. Swapped out Ultegra 6800 for SRAM Rival with Rotor 46/30 and 11-28. I have to thank Lynskey for being my gateway drug to titanium, but I wanted something with a stiffer front end, more direct steering and better fit and this seemed to fit the bill. The stack and reach on this approximate my favorite bike, (with the exception of more toe overlap) but the titanium ride quality is preferred for nasty Pittsburgh roads. Caught a good deal on the Fizik Kurve, and it is surprisingly comfy, but we will see after prolonged usage if it holds up to the favored Selle SMP Well on the Bianchi.
Old 08-22-18, 09:59 PM
sbxx1985 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 158 Posts
Sweet bike.

Originally Posted by fried bake

Mosaic RT-2

Another inaugural ride. Purchased this a couple weeks ago from TPC on ebay. Swapped out Ultegra 6800 for SRAM Rival with Rotor 46/30 and 11-28. I have to thank Lynskey for being my gateway drug to titanium, but I wanted something with a stiffer front end, more direct steering and better fit and this seemed to fit the bill. The stack and reach on this approximate my favorite bike, (with the exception of more toe overlap) but the titanium ride quality is preferred for nasty Pittsburgh roads. Caught a good deal on the Fizik Kurve, and it is surprisingly comfy, but we will see after prolonged usage if it holds up to the favored Selle SMP Well on the Bianchi.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.