Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

SRAM is on a roll

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

SRAM is on a roll

Old 02-06-19, 07:13 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
SRAM is on a roll

SRAM wireless electronic shifting systems keep improving.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/sram...roupset-video/

I’m currently running a 2x11 Red eTap it it’s ease of installation combined with it’s ergonomic shifter logic makes it a great system to own. The removable batteries are also an improvement over systems that have a frame mounted batteries.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 02-06-19 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-07-19, 09:58 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3875 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 2,204 Posts
Sub-titled, "Could this be the end for cable groups?"

Us vintage guys (I do ride several bikes with Campy10sp), can only guffaw....

But i'm all for product improvements for leading edge buyers and racers.
Old 02-08-19, 09:49 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Sub-titled, "Could this be the end for cable groups?"

Us vintage guys (I do ride several bikes with Campy10sp), can only guffaw....

But i'm all for product improvements for leading edge buyers and racers.
I'm completing 4 bike projects this year, including a rebuild of a Eddy Merckx and a Serotta. I'm also resorting a Paramount. The Merckx and Paramount will be period correct, the 1988 Merckx will get an 8 speed Shimano drivetrain.

I've just finished a 2018 Ridley Helium SLX with Sram eTap Red. It was my first build with Sram and my first electronic drivetrain. I was really impressed with the ease of installation and ease of use. Sram is way ahead of Shimano on this system, mostly because the batteries are simply removed from the derailleurs for recharging, with Shimano you need to bring the charger to the bike. Also the wireless technology makes installation very easy and provides a clean look.
Old 02-08-19, 11:13 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3875 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 2,204 Posts
@Barrettscv - I love your collection.
Glad SRAM is quickly evolving and improving. Some company needs to challenge Shimano's market dominance.
Old 02-08-19, 11:31 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Sram is way ahead of Shimano on this system, mostly because the batteries are simply removed from the derailleurs for recharging, with Shimano you need to bring the charger to the bike.
I don't know.

My Di2 charger sits right near where I park my bike. I don't have to bring a charger anywhere nor remove anything from the bike. Plug in one wire, wait a few hours, done. It only has to be plugged in a couple times each year.

SRAM on the other hand, has two separate batteries which have to be removed from the bike for charging and transport. Shifter batteries can't even be charged and require tools to open the shifter for replacement. I don't see how this qualifies as "way ahead."

Wireless is nice though. I wish Shimano had that.

-Tim-
Old 02-08-19, 11:47 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by TimothyH
I don't know.

My Di2 charger sits right near where I park my bike. I don't have to bring a charger anywhere nor remove anything from the bike. Plug in one wire, wait a few hours, done. It only has to be plugged in a couple times each year.

SRAM on the other hand, has two separate batteries which have to be removed from the bike for charging and transport. Shifter batteries can't even be charged and require tools to open the shifter for replacement. I don't see how this qualifies as "way ahead."

-Tim-
The Sram eTap shifters have a replaceable "nickel" type battery. The shifter batteries last a year or more, since they don't power any motors or mechanism.
Old 02-08-19, 11:50 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I don't know.

-Tim-
Everything that runs on small batteries should have a convenient USB charging port. Rant: my otherwise great rear blinkie attaches with elastic straps that will not last forever, and has to be completely removed to charge. Stupid placement of the micro-USB port!
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 02-08-19, 11:51 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts
Wait until someone works out a hack or jam for wireless controls, which I suspect are not very secure -- should be great fun in a race, particularly on a hill climb or in a tight peleton.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 02-08-19, 02:50 PM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
The Sram eTap shifters have a replaceable "nickel" type battery. The shifter batteries last a year or more, since they don't power any motors or mechanism.
Is there anyway to tell when the batteries need replacing? Or if they are dead?
Old 02-08-19, 04:56 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
Wait until someone works out a hack or jam for wireless controls, which I suspect are not very secure -- should be great fun in a race, particularly on a hill climb or in a tight peleton.
End of a long stage, up through the madness of Alp d'Huez, pacers dropped, team car a ways back...
Old 02-08-19, 04:59 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
I brought this up as well when SRAM came out with this etap.
Just have someone stand on a critical corner or hill during a race and turn the jammer on. Usually these jammers are only good a few feet away.
But it would be enough to cause a delay in shifting.

Friends don't let friends ride SRAM.......I remember that only department store bikes came with SRAM components ......
Old 02-08-19, 07:37 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
I remember that only department store bikes came with SRAM components ......
I remember when only department store bikes came with Shimano.

Old 02-08-19, 07:47 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
It's easy to tell if they are dead.

Otherwise https://sram.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ar...ter-batteries-

-Tim-
Old 02-09-19, 11:41 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I just hope that when SRAM makes a mechanical 12 speed road group, the shifters will be compatible with the MTB RD for 1X12 drop bar MTB and gravel applications.
Old 02-09-19, 12:03 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I just hope that when SRAM makes a mechanical 12 speed road group, the shifters will be compatible with the MTB RD for 1X12 drop bar MTB and gravel applications.
As you know, mechanical road and MTB componients don't play well.

Personally, I don't recommend 1x11 (or 1x12) setups for gravel. Most friends who started with this combination either need to change the chainring several times a year (depending on the events planned) or have gone back to doubles. It's difficult to improve on a 46 & 33 combination with a 11-36 cassette. (yes, I mean 33, they are available for a 110 BCD crank)

But if a 1x12 with drop bars is the combination you seek, ​​​​​​and you want the the latest eTap technology: see...

https://launch.sram.com/en/axs/the-mullet-bike

(Sram) "recommend(s) combining a pair of AXS drop bar levers with an Eagle AXS rear derailleur, Eagle chain, 10-50t Eagle cassette, and your choice of either an Eagle or road AXS 1x crankset to build the raddest drop bar bike on the block".

Last edited by Barrettscv; 02-10-19 at 03:15 AM.
Old 02-09-19, 09:56 PM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
The system connects to a Gramin. I have a 520 that reports the lowest batteries power It also flashes a warning when a battery gets really low. Plus, teh rear gets more shifts than the front, so runs down sooner. If that happens you just swap them. Or you can carry an extra battery. They are pretty small and light.
Old 02-13-19, 01:52 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
The system connects to a Gramin. I have a 520 that reports the lowest batteries power It also flashes a warning when a battery gets really low. Plus, teh rear gets more shifts than the front, so runs down sooner. If that happens you just swap them. Or you can carry an extra battery. They are pretty small and light.
Curtis, I have E-Tap on my Guru Photon and I do carry an extra battery in my seat bag but the one time it was needed, it wasn't because a battery had run out of electricity. On a rather bumpy descent, the lower "nub" (for lack of a better word) on the battery broke off. No nub, no stay in derailluer. So . . . I pulled spare out of my seat bag, plugged it in and carried on, no problem!

The next morning I called SRAM and told the rep what had happened. He asked for the serial number off the broken battery then sent me a new battery, no charge.

Big picture, no complaints and happy with SRAM customer service!

Rick / OCRR
Old 02-13-19, 03:09 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
They may be on a roll, but it's a REALLY EXPENSIVE roll. With 4 (four) batteries. And "handcuff" two-handed front shifting. And with cassettes that won't fit your current wheels.

I wish them well. But SRAM is a long way from where they need to be for me to buy back in.
Old 02-13-19, 07:33 PM
TiHabanero

Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
Yes, two handed front shifting is an exceptionally horrible idea. What were they thinking? Product differentiation? PIA? Just because? What ever the reason, it is a very bad design/function decision.
Old 02-14-19, 03:32 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t follow up with the mechanical version.

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Yes, two handed front shifting is an exceptionally horrible idea. What were they thinking? Product differentiation? PIA? Just because? What ever the reason, it is a very bad design/function decision.
I’m guessing here that you’ve never tried it. I liked it so much that I’m probably retrofitting my Ultregra Di2 bike with eTap. Not the only reason but it is pretty intuitive shifting. Incidentally, most reviewers tend to think it’s a pretty good idea. This has been around for what, 3 years now?

Old 02-14-19, 06:05 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
My guess is that, like a lot of SRAM's quirky features, it's a work-around to keep from violating a Shimano or Campy patent. It was the best design not foreclosed by somebody else's patent rights. Being the third (or worse) company to design a particular part has its disadvantages.

On the other hand, if you work all day in a factory and are accustomed to two-hand safety interlock switches, it probably feels like home!
Old 02-14-19, 06:07 PM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
My guess is that, like a lot of SRAM's quirky features, it's a work-around to keep from violating a Shimano or Campy patent. It was the best design not foreclosed by somebody else's patent rights. Being the third (or worse) company to design a particular part has its disadvantages.
This isn’t new. That shifting pattern was introduced with the orginial eTap three years ago. It’s been pretty well accepted already (most reviewers liked it a lot).
Old 02-14-19, 06:09 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Originally Posted by JohnJ80

This isn’t new. That shifting pattern was introduced with the orginial eTap three years ago. It’s been pretty well accepted already (most reviewers liked it a lot).
I don't think anyone said it was new. It's just something SRAM is stuck with until somebody else's patent expires.

And most reviewers like everything a lot. They want to sell advertising, after all. Do you really believe that stuff?
Old 02-14-19, 07:13 PM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
I don't think anyone said it was new. It's just something SRAM is stuck with until somebody else's patent expires.

And most reviewers like everything a lot. They want to sell advertising, after all. Do you really believe that stuff?
Well, I have both an eTap and a Di2 bike so it’s easy for me to compare them. I like the eTap shifting so much, I’m considering switching out the Di2 for eTap now that the eTap Red is on sale everywhere. So, yeah, I believe the reviewers and I think they nailed it with regards to the eTap shifting strategy.

​​​​​​​Ergonomics of the shifting levers are much better with full finger gloves for winter riding too.

Last edited by JohnJ80; 02-14-19 at 07:17 PM.
Old 02-15-19, 07:37 PM
TiHabanero

Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
"On the other hand, if you work all day in a factory and are accustomed to two-hand safety interlock switches, it probably feels like home!"

Lol. So very true!

"I’m guessing here that you’ve never tried it."

Unfortunately not only have I ridden with it, I set a bike up with it, which was when I first realized the two button shift was a bad idea. Takes two hands to shift the front which places the mechanic in an odd position to watch the shift action. Add to that the hassle of having to have both hands on the buttons to catch the big ring, it is just a bad idea from where I sit.

Last edited by TiHabanero; 02-15-19 at 07:42 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.