Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Frame quality

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Frame quality

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-19, 02:21 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,856 Times in 2,305 Posts
Originally Posted by 12boy
Apart from handmade steel frames I understand most frames are made in Taiwan or the RPC these days. Most have large obvious welds which may seem ugly to some but should be stronger than theybwould be with the same weld filed down smooth. I have a 94 Cannondale which has no apparent welds at all but it alleges on a frame sticker it was made in the USA.. Being a Luddite I prefer steel frames but the two Al frames I have work well. Something I have heard a lot about is ride quality with steel being more lively,supple etc. And yet the the part of a bike that is subject to the most flex would seem to me to be handlebars but Al bars have been the norm for 50 years at least.
And for more then 50 years it's suggested that Al bars are regularly be examined and replaced every few years to avoid the cracks and failures that happen often enough. So if you are good with also placing your frame into that same category, of being a limited life span component, then all is well. But if you insist on believing that your frame is a lifetime item Al isn't the best choice. Andy (who also knows a handle bar costs far less then a frame does)
Old 02-05-19, 02:53 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by 12boy
Apart from handmade steel frames I understand most frames are made in Taiwan or the RPC these days. Most have large obvious welds which may seem ugly to some but should be stronger than theybwould be with the same weld filed down smooth. I have a 94 Cannondale which has no apparent welds at all but it alleges on a frame sticker it was made in the USA.. Being a Luddite I prefer steel frames but the two Al frames I have work well. Something I have heard a lot about is ride quality with steel being more lively,supple etc. And yet the the part of a bike that is subject to the most flex would seem to me to be handlebars but Al bars have been the norm for 50 years at least.
The made in USA Cannondale frame sticker means that it was built in Bedford, PA. I'd take your Cannondale over almost any steel frame in a heartbeat.
Old 02-05-19, 02:56 PM
Trakhak

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
And for more then 50 years it's suggested that Al bars are regularly be examined and replaced every few years to avoid the cracks and failures that happen often enough. So if you are good with also placing your frame into that same category, of being a limited life span component, then all is well. But if you insist on believing that your frame is a lifetime item Al isn't the best choice. Andy (who also knows a handle bar costs far less then a frame does)
You're right, of course, generally speaking.

And yet:

German Tour magazine fatigue test of high-end carbon, steel, and aluminum frames
Old 02-05-19, 06:25 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,856 Times in 2,305 Posts
My understanding that by increasing the stiffness of an AL frame you also extend the number of stress cycles before failure might be a concern. What would be interesting is to test a steel frame that equals the stiffness of those Al frames (tested how many years ago?). Andy
Old 02-06-19, 01:12 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Addressing the OP's original question about frame quality increasing with increasing bike cost, I remember years ago when Litespeed used 3/2.5 Al/V grade Ti for most of it's frames but used the stronger, significantly more expensive and harder to work 6/4 Al/V grade Ti for a couple of it's top line frames.
Old 02-06-19, 02:27 PM
Trakhak

I just had lunch with a couple of guys who bought titanium bikes years ago. At one point in the conversation, they compared notes about their experiences with titanium.

FWIW, one got his cracked Litespeed titanium frame replaced under warranty; however, they refused to replace the replacement frame under warranty when that one cracked. The other guy broke one titanium frame but is still happily riding his second (a Merlin).
Old 02-06-19, 03:51 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
the Long career bike frame builder, Bruce Gordon, had a sample of some popular famous brand Italian steel frames

cut up , showing the lugs hid some rushed workmanship
problems just to meet the demands to get the quota numbers up , when they could sell them as fast as they could make them, during the bike boom..

so good materials but rushed production is a deterioration of quality ..
Old 02-06-19, 04:02 PM
fietsbob
Banned

recalling...

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
My understanding that by increasing the stiffness of an AL frame you also extend the number of stress cycles before failure might be a concern. What would be interesting is to test a steel frame that equals the stiffness of those Al frames (tested how many years ago?). Andy
I saw in passing a few years ago the contemporary Japan Bridgestone company had shown what was like a Hydro-formed steel frame
so increasing diameters and shapes to best cope with the stresses they had at those joints..

So, would be a bit more of a level playing field, for comparing with Aluminum structures of same shape, just different materials....

Old 02-07-19, 12:22 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Liked 1,816 Times in 1,056 Posts
Originally Posted by dksix
According to this article, a major advancement was made in 2013 by Specialized...
Cycling Plus magazine tested (02/14) a Specialized with one of those 'Smartweld' frames. They didn't know what it was about that bike, but they went on to describe what sounded like 'planing' to me.
Old 02-07-19, 06:25 PM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tcs
Cycling Plus magazine tested (02/14) a Specialized with one of those 'Smartweld' frames. They didn't know what it was about that bike, but they went on to describe what sounded like 'planing' to me.
I don't understand what you mean with "planing", assuming you mean planing as is making something flat.
Old 02-07-19, 07:18 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Read the magazine ... Bike Quarterly

Bicycle Quarterly Subscription

$36.00
Old 02-08-19, 10:21 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,463 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
I saw in passing a few years ago the contemporary Japan Bridgestone company had shown what was like a Hydro-formed steel frame
so increasing diameters and shapes to best cope with the stresses they had at those joints..

So, would be a bit more of a level playing field, for comparing with Aluminum structures of same shape, just different materials....

That's an interesting thought. I suppose if steel tubes were hydroformed with large cross sections, they could take on the advantages of aluminum frames. But I think that lately, the point of making steel frames these days is that it can be done on a small scale economically, and that means you can make designs specifically to small numbers of customers (i.e. custom designs). I suspect hydroforming requires big tooling which is suitable for mass production. Once you're ready to do big tooling, you might as well use aluminum or carbon fiber. And perhaps that's why we don't see hydroformed steel bike frames, not that the product would be bad.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-08-19, 10:44 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by fietsbob
I saw in passing a few years ago the contemporary Japan Bridgestone company had shown what was like a Hydro-formed steel frame so increasing diameters and shapes to best cope with the stresses they had at those joints. So, would be a bit more of a level playing field, for comparing with Aluminum structures of same shape, just different materials.
Seems to me a more level playing field would be comparing frames of different materials manufactured for a fixed $X amount.
Old 02-08-19, 10:47 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by dksix
I don't understand what you mean with "planing", assuming you mean planing as is making something flat.
https://janheine.wordpress.com/2014/...at-is-planing/
Old 02-08-19, 11:13 AM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
This thread just makes me wonder how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.
Old 02-08-19, 02:01 PM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 87 Posts
I have a Specialized Allez Sport that is about 20 years old. My bike is all steel. Anybody have any info on the quality of this Frame?