Search this Thread

Old 02-16-19, 02:00 PM
keith_b00ne

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Monterey to Santa Barbara

I would like to do a bike packing trip from Monterey to Santa Barbara down coastal highway number 1. I would be making it a 4-5 day trip. I have watched a lot of videos and the route looks hilly with no shoulders. Here lies the problem, I would be pulling my 3, almost 4, year old daughter. I am considering buying a wee hoo trailer to limit my overal width versus my current trailer and running a flag for visibility. I normally pull her behind my aluminum lemond tourmalet but considering if I need something with disc brakes considering her weight and the hills. Buying a new touring trek 503 is making this trip expensive but may be necessary for safety. I am wanting to ride this in March. Any options from ones who has rode this route is greatly appreciated because I am trying to decide what to do.
Old 02-16-19, 02:03 PM
keith_b00ne

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don’t appear to be the only family person doing this route

https://la.streetsblog.org/2016/09/0...ifornia-coast/
Old 02-16-19, 09:31 PM
bgross

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Good news/Bad news:

Unlike during summertime, there won’t be a lot of traffic! Fewer long lines of angry cars stuck behind creeping, 8’ wide/40’ long RVs. Of course the downside is fewer passing motorists to lend a hand if you need one.

Unlike summertime, you won’t get sunburned after a long day of peddling. The downside is fewer hours to peddle and the likelihood that you’ll be cold and wet. HIGH likelihood.

Back to the “might need a hand” thing: you might want a SatPhone - cell reception is...dicey. At best.

Now that I’ve rained on your ride, HAVE FUN! It is a beautiful ride. (I like to do it on a motorcycle).
Old 02-16-19, 10:19 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
I don't know if this will really answer any of your questions but... Last November right before the rains started here in California the wife and I took a driving vacation from Santa Cruz to Santa Barbara (Santa Cruz/Big Sur/Moro Bay/Santa Barbara). Along the way we saw several groups of riders doing just the trip you're looking into. Traffic was light and I never witnessed any conflicts or confrontations between the cars and cyclists. Although, I will tell you that although my wife and I both agreed that the scenery was beautiful and would be the perfect place to tour on... we both agreed that due to how narrow the road was and the lack of almost anything resembling a bike lane, that it appeared to be just a little too dangerous for our tastes. I would also think that pulling a trailer and child would not be the best of ideas.

Please note that I am 65 y/o and a lot of my youthful recklessness has given way to pause and caution.
Old 02-17-19, 04:56 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
my child-rearing daze are long over but ca hwy 1 would not be my first choice to ride with anyone < 21 years old. haven't done any lost coast or tahoe riding
but given your info, think mojave national preserve and/or death valley national park-both with significantly less traffic-would be a better option.

if the california coast is a must, hit the san simeon-ventura section instead. wider and better sightlines.