Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best Clipless Shoes For Cycling & Walking?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-19, 11:26 PM
AkhenKheires

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

I've been doing research on the clipless shoes that I'll need to ride my recumbent quadricycle.

I want to find my ideal shoe that has the best balance of performance for cycling and walking.

From the research I've done so far, the top 3 choices I've found seem to be:
  • Specialized 2FO Cliplite
  • Shimano SH-ME7
  • Giro Terraduro

Any others I should add to the list to try out?

I have wide feet, but if the shoes are good I'll give anything a try, since I want to get this right the first time, and find my ideal shoe brand and model.

Thanks.
Old 03-09-19, 04:52 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Liked 1,377 Times in 722 Posts
Having experience with all three brands of shoes from a sales perspective I will put this out there. The Giro Terraduro is too narrow for my D width feet. The Specialized 2FO is OK in width, but iffy in the toe box. The Shimano SH ME7 was the best fit for me, however keep in mind it is an "over the ankle" design. Really better suited for off-road. If your bent is an off-road model, then the Shimano makes sense.

With all that out of the way, simply look at walkable spd shoes. If you have wide feet, the Giro models can present fit issues. Specialized and Shimano build on a C-D last and a wide foot will do well. I am a solid D width and Shimano fits better than Specialized, especially in the toe box. This applies to their road shoes as well. Keep in mind every person has unique requirements for shoes, and I strongly encourage you to try before you buy. If trying on at a dealer, please, please, please buy from the dealer should they fit.
Reward them for their service and expertise.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 03-09-19, 05:08 AM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
I realize that you asked about shoes, but what the heck, since you are talking about a non-normal bike, I suggest you consider SPD sandals. Both Shimano and Lake make excellent biking / walking sandals. For cooler weather (not cold, I admit), you can wear wool socks to keep your feet warm. They are adjustable for width and are comfortable in heat, rain, and normal riding conditions.
Old 03-09-19, 07:22 AM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
SPD sandals. Any combination of socks or protection under them that you desire based on conditions. On multiday trips it's the only shoe I take.

Last edited by u235; 03-09-19 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-09-19, 07:33 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 633 Posts
Covered toes, or no? Having your toes hang out seems like it would be hell on hill climbs and hard sprints. There seem to be many styles of SPD sandals to choose from.
Old 03-09-19, 08:10 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18481 Post(s)
Liked 15,770 Times in 7,405 Posts
You can do all the research and read all the review you want, but none of them are going to be the best for you if they don't feel comfortable on your feet. Fit is first. And, just like helmets, size is not the only consideration.
Old 03-09-19, 08:13 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
If you have wide feet, the Giro models can present fit issues.
I love the look of some of their road shoes, especially the colors, but I have heard the same thing from people; they run narrow. As such, I am steering clear.
Old 03-09-19, 10:07 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
stiff soles beneficial for cycling are just less than desirable for walking, which a flexible sole works better ..

does the forefoot, where your toes are , on the shoe, flex?

I have Shimano's TO 92 touring shoes , SPD cleat , not bad.. looks less like a MTB shoe, sole not lugged/knobby.
though the upper at that time was used on Mountain and road shoe.. as well....

Old 03-09-19, 06:44 PM
AkhenKheires

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. My quad has both 2WD and 4WD, and the company that made it calls it a "sport utility quad", so yes, I plan to ride it both on and off road. I took it out for the first real ride the other day, and we rode on roads and trails. I can't post links or images yet, but there are some photos here: imgur DOT com/a/y1rO2K0

SPD Sandals are a good suggestion, and I'll look into those. When I was doing research on trikes, someone at a dealer recommended Keen Commuter IV Sandals. Any suggestions for good SPD Sandals to try? I'll look into sandals by Shimano and Lake.

Maybe I should mention that I have a spinal cord injury, and that's why I got the quad. I use forearm crutches when I walk due to this injury. I don't think I'll plan on doing a whole lot of walking in clipless shoes, but I know I don't want the kind that may be really good for pedaling, but that you can slide around in while walking. I may want to go "bikepacking".

If anybody else has any additional suggestions or input, let me know.

Thanks.
Old 03-09-19, 07:35 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 278 Posts
Sidi makes a wide version of some of there shoes called mega. I have a MTB version of them. I am considering the shimano open toed spd sandals in an oversize version to see if the width increases.
Old 03-09-19, 09:58 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
I use the Specialized 2FO and find the width good for my wide feet. I also find the toe box fine. I'm diabetic so any width or toe box problems would be a real problem for me.
I also have lace up Giro's that fit me well. They were under $100.00 so much cheaper than the FO's. Like the FO's, they are flat with no cleats and recessed clips. I'm not sure the model (maybe the one you mentioned).
Old 03-10-19, 12:52 PM
ctpres

Location: Creede CO in summer & Okeechobee, FL or TX Gulf Coast in winter

Bikes: Zenetto Stealth road bike & Sundeal M7 MTN bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
When looking at Shimano ME series - pull liner out before even trying on. My ME2's have honeycomb sole (1/4" deep at some locations) The liner is so thin a short ride will push liner into cavities and leave indentations on the bottom of your foot where the sharp ridges are. Worst shoe I every owned.
Old 03-10-19, 01:41 PM
honcho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
First, the bad news: You need to prepare yourself not to find the best possible fit on the first try. Second, the better news: Ebay is a good source for nearly new cycling footwear at reasonable prices. Personal situation, one foot approximately 1/2 size larger than the other, both feet on the edge of being considered wide. Recumbent riding seems to demand different cleat positioning and puts different forces on feet. So, on 5th pair in quest for the "best for me" pair. Current pair is from Specialized.
Old 03-10-19, 04:08 PM
Mainiac

Bikes: Fuji Allegro, Miele Mountain Bike, Trek Domane AL 2

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bontrager Espresso. Should be wide enough.
Old 03-12-19, 10:35 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I've been pretty happy with these Louis Garneau Nickels. I got them on sale for $39. They have SPD two bolt mounts, but the cleat is recessed, meaning you can ride clipless, flat pedals, even with toe clips, which Eroica vintage rides require for some reason. The soles aren't real aggressive for mountain climbing, but are great for walking and the cleats last forever. With the hills on Eroica, walking becomes more important. I think Giro makes a similar shoe for more $$$.

They come with extra black laces too.

I use Velo Orange half clips once a year for Eroica, but ride Mountain bike SPDs otherwise.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 03-12-19 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-12-19, 10:38 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Slightspeed
I've been pretty happy with these Louis Garneau Nickels.
Those are sharp (for touring/commuting, that is). How do they run width-wise?
Old 03-12-19, 10:45 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Those are sharp (for touring/commuting, that is). How do they run width-wise?
The width is fine for me, and I have fairly wide feet. These are Euro 47. I took a chance on the size (from Nashbar), my Specialized mtn bike shoes are 46 and a little loose, and I have a pair of size 46 Pearl Izumi road shoes that fit fine. Your size may vary. I usually go up one size on online orders just to be sure.
Old 03-12-19, 11:01 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
If the balance tips toward walking, then these are good-

pretty much tennis shoes with cleats. Not the best for a long day on the bike,

but comfy & you can hardly tell that they are bike shoes.

https://www.moosejaw.com/product/pea...CABEgK9mPD_BwE
Old 03-12-19, 06:55 PM
AkhenKheires

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions on clipless sandals. At this point, I'm leaning towards going with that option.

They seem to offer several advantages, including width, which is a concern for me.

I'll start another thread on clipless sandals.
Old 03-12-19, 08:22 PM
SkyWave

Bikes: 1970 Gitane Tandem, OPUS CX Ultegra Di2 '14, MARINONI Retro SL Campagnolo '17, MARINONI Tourismo '00 Shimano 105, KHS Tandemania Cross Shimano

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Brands?

I agree SIDI Mega are great. Just get a fit and try upgraded insoles - Superfeet!
Old 03-18-19, 06:24 PM
billyjoe44

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This list might have some more shoes that would be suitable for you (https://athleteaudit.com/best-mountain-bike-shoes). I do know there are high volume Terraduros so that might be best if your feet are extra wide